|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is odd about Ron's rat during the beginning of the school year?
(a) He is losing weight and acting odd.
(b) He never comes out of his cage if he can help it.
(c) He has stopped eating.
(d) His fur is coming out.
2. What does Harry hear when he sees the hooded figure in black enter his train compartment?
(a) Nothing but utter silence.
(b) The deep and halting breathing of the figure.
(c) His heartbeat.
(d) A shrill, screaming sound.
3. What is Harry taunted about during his first morning at Hogwarts?
(a) His run-in with Snape.
(b) His behavior at the welcome feast.
(c) Ginny's crush on him.
(d) His episode with the dementors.
4. What house is Snape in charge of?
5. How old does Harry Potter turn at the beginning of the book?
6. Why does McGonegall tell the students to not take their Divination lessons too seriously on their first day of their year?
(a) She thinks it is the most imprecise form of magic.
(b) She feels that their attention should be placed elsewhere.
(c) It is too hard for young children learn.
(d) Divination is not on any OWL tests.
7. Why does Harry never receive any phone calls during the summer holiday?
(a) There is no phone in the house.
(b) His friends do not have phones.
(c) He has no friends to call him.
(d) He is not allowed any phone calls.
8. What is so surprising about Black's escape from prison?
(a) He killed many people as he escaped.
(b) Nobody else has ever escaped.
(c) He told a guard he was leaving to avenge his master's death.
(d) He left the dark mark of Voldemort all along the walls when he left.
9. Who was Harry's father's best friend when they were young?
(b) Peter Pettigrew.
(d) Sirius Black.
10. Where does Hagrid hold his first class of the year?
(a) Outside his hut.
(b) In the Quidditch field.
(c) In the Forbidden Forest.
(d) In the cafeteria.
11. What does Harry keep dreaming about after overhearing the secret conversation between the Weasleys?
(a) His parents being killed.
(c) The black dog omen of death.
(d) A dementor attacking him.
12. Who does Harry live with when he is not at Hogwarts?
(a) Professor Dumbledore.
(b) His parents.
(c) His aunt and uncle.
(d) His godfather.
13. What is Neville's worst fear?
14. How does Snape think that Sirius Black could possibly enter Hogwarts?
(a) Through secret passages that only Black knows about.
(b) With inside help.
(c) By changing into a dog.
(d) By paying off the dementors.
15. What does Harry's early Christmas gift from the Weasley twins allow Harry to do?
(a) Study new ways to avoid the bludgers on the Quidditch field.
(b) Practice his moves during the holiday break.
(c) Take a secret passageway into Hogsmeade.
(d) Get a tummy ache from eating too many sweets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Harry's first class on his second day at Hogwarts?
2. What does Harry overhear Mr. Weasley telling his wife while at the Leaky Cauldron?
3. Who is in the train compartment with Ron, Harry, and Hermione when they board the Hogwarts Express?
4. When does Vernon's sister arrive?
5. What does Hermione name her new magical creature?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)