|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Harry not allowed to do at home during the summer holiday?
(a) Talk above a whisper.
(b) Write letters.
(c) Practice magic.
(d) Leave his room.
2. Who gives Lupin a potion while he is talking with Harry on Halloween?
3. Who is teaching Lupin's class the day after Halloween?
4. What is the name of the Wizard jail?
5. What does Harry hear when he sees the hooded figure in black enter his train compartment?
(a) A shrill, screaming sound.
(b) Nothing but utter silence.
(c) The deep and halting breathing of the figure.
(d) His heartbeat.
6. How old does Harry Potter turn at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Dumbledore have the students do after the fearful events in the Gryffindor common room on Halloween?
(a) Go calmly to bed.
(b) Allow him to place safety spells on them for the night.
(c) Sleep in the Great Hall.
(d) Undergo interrogation, one at a time.
8. What does Harry overhear Mr. Weasley telling his wife while at the Leaky Cauldron?
(a) He has had a dream about Harry being killed by a black dog.
(b) Black is targeting Harry.
(c) The dementors will be at Hogwarts on guard this year.
(d) Three more prisoners have escaped from prison.
9. Why does Lupin say he needs a potion on Halloween when he is talking to Harry?
(a) He is not feeling well.
(b) He was bit by one of the creatures for class.
(c) He was curious about a new brew.
(d) He is celebrating something special.
10. Who taunts Harry during his first morning at Hogwarts?
11. Where is Harry's money kept?
(a) His room at Hogwarts.
(b) Gringott's Bank.
(c) The Weasleys' house.
(d) Hagrid's hut.
12. What does Harry need his guardians to sign before he leaves for Hogwarts?
(a) A release form so he can play Quidditch.
(b) A permission slip to go to Hogsmeade Village.
(c) His report card.
(d) A note allowing him to take extra classes.
13. Who is in the train compartment with Ron, Harry, and Hermione when they board the Hogwarts Express?
(a) Draco Malfoy.
(b) A strange man in shabby robes.
(d) Neville Longbottom.
14. What is Harry's favorite part about the time he spends alone before heading back to Hogwarts?
(a) He is free to do as he pleases.
(b) He can use his magic with no restrictions.
(c) He can fly on his broom as much as he pleases.
(d) He can get some homework done.
15. What mysterious gift does Harry get on Christmas morning?
(a) New quidditch robes.
(b) A new cage for Hedwig.
(c) A firebolt broom.
(d) A case of magical ink.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is trying to have Buckbeak executed after Hagrid's lesson on Hippogriffs?
2. What does Vernon's sister say Harry should feel towards his uncle?
3. What does Harry receive over the summer holiday that brings him great joy?
4. What do Ron and Hermione order at the Three Broomsticks pub on their second trip to Hogsmeade?
5. How old does a student have to be before being allowed to visit Hogsmeade Village?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)