|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does McGonegall tell the students to not take their Divination lessons too seriously on their first day of their year?
(a) It is too hard for young children learn.
(b) She feels that their attention should be placed elsewhere.
(c) Divination is not on any OWL tests.
(d) She thinks it is the most imprecise form of magic.
2. What do the Weasley twins give Harry as an early Christmas present?
(a) A bunch of candy.
(b) The Marauder's Map.
(c) A book about Quidditch.
(d) A new broom.
3. How does Harry do his homework during the summer holiday?
(a) He memorizes his lessons to write down later.
(b) By wand light at night.
(c) He has no homework over the summer.
(d) He copies it from Hermione.
4. Where does Harry spend his Christmas holiday?
(a) At Hogwarts.
(b) At Ron's house.
(c) At Hermione's house.
(d) In Hagrid's hut.
5. Who was Harry's father's best friend when they were young?
(a) Sirius Black.
(d) Peter Pettigrew.
6. What is so exciting about Halloween for the third years at Hogwarts?
(a) They get to enjoy the big Halloween Feast.
(b) Headless Nick the ghost has his deathday party.
(c) The end of the term has come and they have no homework.
(d) They get to go to Hogsmeade Village.
7. Where is Harry's money kept?
(a) The Weasleys' house.
(b) His room at Hogwarts.
(c) Gringott's Bank.
(d) Hagrid's hut.
8. What is Harry's favorite part about the time he spends alone before heading back to Hogwarts?
(a) He can use his magic with no restrictions.
(b) He is free to do as he pleases.
(c) He can get some homework done.
(d) He can fly on his broom as much as he pleases.
9. How does Harry plan to fly to London unseen?
(a) He will travel at night.
(b) A magic spell.
(c) He will fly above the cloud line.
(d) His invisibility cloak.
10. Why does Lupin say he needs a potion on Halloween when he is talking to Harry?
(a) He was bit by one of the creatures for class.
(b) He is celebrating something special.
(c) He is not feeling well.
(d) He was curious about a new brew.
11. What does Harry do after the excitement in the dining room with Vernon's sister?
(a) He packs his things and gets ready to leave.
(b) He kicks her dog.
(c) He uses magic to make her well.
(d) He apologizes profusely.
12. What does Harry see on a cover of a book in Diagon Alley that he feels he has seen before?
(a) The triple-decker Knight Bus.
(b) A picture of a black dog with gleaming eyes.
(c) The image of Sirius Black.
(d) A skull and cross bones.
13. What is so perplexing to Harry about Mr. Weasley's warning to him before he boards Hogwarts Express?
(a) He does not know why Black would want to hurt him.
(b) He can't imagine why he should give up Quidditch.
(c) He has never wanted to go to Hogsmeade.
(d) He always tries to do what Dumbledore tells him to.
14. Who taunts Harry during his first morning at Hogwarts?
15. What does Harry, Ron and Hermione find when they return to their common room after the Halloween Feast?
(a) The fat lady is missing from her picture.
(b) There is a threatening message written on the wall.
(c) The tapestry by the mantle has caught fire.
(d) The door to the room has been forced open and everything is a mess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harry choose to spend the day after hearing some shocking news in Hogsmeade?
2. Who does Hermione say has approved her for taking extra classes for her third year?
3. How old does Harry Potter turn at the beginning of the book?
4. What happens to Vernon's sister as she is berating Harry's parents?
5. Where did Ron ger his magical creature?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)