|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The director of the Judenrat informs the people of Krakow that he has been ordered by the Nazis to hand over how many thousands of Jewish people the following morning?
2. What is a "panzer," (7) according to Yanek?
3. How many members of Yanek's family are living within the rooftop pigeon coop at the start of Chapter 7?
4. In what country does the narrative of Prisoner B-3087 open?
5. Which member of Yanek's family is NOT captured by the Nazis while waiting in line to buy bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Yanek's family members teaches him about the importance of remaining invisible?
2. How does the theme of determination emerge within Yanek's journey?
3. How does Gratz employ foreshadowing in association with Mina's wedding ring?
4. Who is Amon Goeth?
5. Who witnesses the capture of Yanek's parents?
6. Who hides within the pigeon coop on the roof of Yanek's apartment building?
7. After what event in the narrative does Yanek state, "If I had only known then what I know now, I would have run" (3)?
8. In what way does Gratz demonstrate the importance of religious beliefs and traditions within Yanek's family?
9. What message about the fear of the unknown is depicted within the novel and in what scene does the theme appear?
10. How does Gratz depict a change in Yanek that occurs after he has his bar mitzvah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose an object from Prisoner B-3087, such as the Star of David armband, the rooftop door, or some other symbolic object and discuss its overall meaning and its connection to themes within the text.
Essay Topic 2
What messages does Gratz send about courage within the novel and what themes are employed in order to send these messages to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How is the topic of propaganda treated within Prisoner B-3087 and how does its treatment relate to the novel's depicted messages?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)