|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Yanek consumes snow from the cattle car's ventilation grate, he has a moment of longing for which of his late family members?
(a) His mother.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His father.
2. At the end of Chapter 14, a young boy is punished in what way when he is falsely accused of trying to escape?
(a) He is not fed for one week.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He is publicly hung.
3. When Yanek reaches the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, he must sleep in a single bunk with how many other men?
4. During the long train journey Yanek experiences in Chapter 15, he wakes up to discover that what event has taken place?
(a) The cattle car has begun to fill up with smoke.
(b) The man standing next to him has died.
(c) He can no longer feel his own feet.
(d) The cattle car has begun to fill up with water.
5. What location does every prisoner at Auschwitz do their best to avoid?
(a) The rock quarry.
(b) The camp clinic.
(c) The camp kitchens.
(d) The latrines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a physical characteristic of the prisoner who steps in to help Yanek support the weight of his fellow prisoner on the trip from Auschwitz to Sachsenhausen?
2. What name do the prisoners at Birkenau bestow upon the camp storehouse that holds items stolen from Jewish prisoners?
3. Of what type of material is the floor of Yanek's barrack at Birkenau made?
4. When Yanek arrives at the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in Chapter 24, it is his seventh concentration camp in "less than" how many "years" (196)?
5. In Chapter 17, after Yanek verbally surrenders to death inside the gas chamber, what substance comes out of the showerhead instead of gas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss an instance when Gratz uses a literary device to indicate the preciousness of food.
2. Whose advice must Yanek ignore in order to make friends with Fred?
3. Which qualities of new prisoners help Yanek to qualify certain individuals as such?
4. At what point do Yanek and the other new arrivals to the Birkenau death camp realize that they have been spared for the moment?
5. For what purpose do the Nazis use cattle cars and in what way is their use symbolic?
6. How does Yanek find out that the train's destination is Birkenau before the train arrives there?
7. What happens to the men and boys accused of plotting escape from the Trzebinia and what proof does Yanek have of their innocence?
8. To what location is Yanek sent after he is removed from the Plaszow concentration camp?
9. What happens to Fred when he is unable to work?
10. What is different about Yanek's experience at Bergen-Belsen, in relation to his previous experiences with concentration camps?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)