|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the salt mine in which Yanek is put to work in 1943?
2. What name do the prisoners at Birkenau bestow upon the camp storehouse that holds items stolen from Jewish prisoners?
3. At the end of Chapter 14, a young boy is punished in what way when he is falsely accused of trying to escape?
(a) He is not fed for one week.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is publicly hung.
(d) He is beaten.
4. What is Yanek's first sign that Fred has contracted an illness?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He cannot get out of bed.
(c) He is slower at chopping wood than he normally is.
(d) He wakes up bathed in sweat.
5. Yanek's visit to which location saves him from his parents' fate of being taken by the Nazis?
(a) A synagogue.
(b) A museum.
(c) A friend's house.
(d) His uncle's bakery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Yanek's family owns a bakery?
2. The young Polish boy in Chapter 15 shouts at the passing train passengers that they will soon be turned into what substance?
3. Which nationality is not named in Yanek's portrait of the prisoners who begin singing Jewish songs in many different languages?
4. Which character is the first to greet Yanek and Oskar at the location to which they go after curfew?
5. The "Sachsenhausen salute" involves torturing a prisoner by forcing him to remain in what type of position for hours at a time without moving?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)