|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did they live here?
2. One night, Sultana and Sara were sitting in the garden when one of Kareem's other brothers, Asad, came in with several friends. Why was Sara shamed?
3. Huda claimed that what would happen to Sara?
4. Sultana gave birth to how many daughters, then suffered a bout with breast cancer?
5. Sultana was told a story by one of the nurses about another girl staying in the maternity ward. This girl had been raped by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sultana force Kareem to sign an agreement to not marry another as long as she was alive?
2. How did the country react to the king's death?
3. What led Sultana to want to divorce Kareem?
4. Describe Sultana's wedding ceremony.
5. How did Sultana react to learning she was to be married?
6. Describe the relationship between Kareem and Sultana at the beginning of their marriage.
7. What did Sultana learn about an old friend, prior to her friend's father's death?
8. What story did Sultana learn while in the hospital?
9. How did Sultana feel in the "Epilogue?" Why did she feel this way?
10. How did Sultana and her mother-in-law finally make up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sultana's mother died.
Part 1) How did this affect Sultana? How did the rituals surrounding the death of a woman support the theme of oppression?
Part 2) What other women died in this story? Why? How did these deaths also support the theme of oppression?
Part 3) How is death a theme in this book? How is this related to the other themes?
Essay Topic 2
The king of Saudi Arabia died.
Part 1) Describe this king. How was his country affected by his death? How were Sultana and her family affected? Why?
Part 2) What global effects might be seen due to his death? Why?
Part 3) Is the death a U.S. president as significant as the death of a Saudi Arabian king? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ali returned home from the U.S.
Part 1) Describe Ali's behavior in the U.S. Did he return home a changed man? Why or why not?
Part 2) What did Ali's return reveal about the impact of his upbringing and his experiences in the U.S.?
Part 3) How did Sultana reinforce the theme of strong women upon Ali's return? What did this reveal about Ali? What did this also reveal about Sultana?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)