|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sultana told Kareem she would only return to him if he promised to do what?
2. Why did Sultana feel this way?
3. Father was _____________ at Sultana's attempted sabotage.
4. When the king chose not to punish Kareem's brother, Sultana's mother-in-law came to believe what?
5. What did Sultana tell Ali he could never know for sure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sultana get revenge on her brother?
2. What did Sultana learn about female circumcision?
3. How did Sultana feel in the "Epilogue?" Why did she feel this way?
4. What led Sultana to want to divorce Kareem?
5. Describe Ali's return home and his behavior upon his return.
6. What happened after Sultana suffers a bout of breast cancer?
7. What did Kareem do for Sultana to aid her in having their baby?
8. What did Sultana learn from a woman she met on the flight to London?
9. How did Sultana and Sara learn about their futures? What did they learn?
10. What happened when Hussein invaded Kuwait in late 1990?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marci told the horrific story of her friend, Madeline.
Part 1) Describe this story. How did it support the theme of oppression?
Part 2) How was this story even more shocking than some of the others? What did it reveal about both men and women in Saudi Arabia?
Part 3) Describe another time in history when the people of a culture or country ignored atrocities to protect themselves. How does this compare to what took place in Saudi Arabia?
Essay Topic 2
Sultana was the daughter of a prince of Saudi Arabia.
Part 1) Describe her life. How did being a princess affect her life and decisions made about her life?
Part 2) Would you consider her life a privileged one? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does her life compare to your own? Can you relate to her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The king of Saudi Arabia died.
Part 1) Describe this king. How was his country affected by his death? How were Sultana and her family affected? Why?
Part 2) What global effects might be seen due to his death? Why?
Part 3) Is the death a U.S. president as significant as the death of a Saudi Arabian king? Why or why not?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)