|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The girl was outraged and in an attempt to end the marriage, told her new husband what?
2. What did Kareem allow Sultana to decide?
3. In an attempt to cheer up Sara, what did Sultana do?
4. Shortly afterward, despite his assurances of love, Kareem told Sultana that he intended to do what?
5. In the aftermath of the invasion, many Kuwaiti refugees escaped where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sultana and Sara learn about their futures? What did they learn?
2. How did Kareem and Sultana finally make up?
3. What led to one of Kareem's brothers wanting to marry Sara?
4. What story did Sultana learn while in the hospital?
5. What did Kareem do for Sultana to aid her in having their baby?
6. Describe Sultana's wedding ceremony.
7. Describe the relationship between Kareem and Sultana at the beginning of their marriage.
8. What did Sultana learn from a woman she met on the flight to London?
9. What happened after Sultana suffers a bout of breast cancer?
10. How did Sultana force Kareem to sign an agreement to not marry another as long as she was alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ali returned home from the U.S.
Part 1) Describe Ali's behavior in the U.S. Did he return home a changed man? Why or why not?
Part 2) What did Ali's return reveal about the impact of his upbringing and his experiences in the U.S.?
Part 3) How did Sultana reinforce the theme of strong women upon Ali's return? What did this reveal about Ali? What did this also reveal about Sultana?
Essay Topic 2
Sultana was sad at the end of the book.
Part 1) Why was she sad? How was this feeling of sadness carried throughout the book?
Part 2) Was there any hope for Sultana's life, her children, and her culture, according to Sultana? Why or why not? Do you believe there was hope for them? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has this book affected you, your view of Middle Eastern culture, and our own country? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Sultana's mother died.
Part 1) How did this affect Sultana? How did the rituals surrounding the death of a woman support the theme of oppression?
Part 2) What other women died in this story? Why? How did these deaths also support the theme of oppression?
Part 3) How is death a theme in this book? How is this related to the other themes?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)