|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor was spreading about one woman?
2. In 1975, Sultana was vacationing where?
3. What did her husband quickly do?
4. What did Kareem allow Sultana to decide?
5. Why did Sultana seek revenge on her brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ali's return home and his behavior upon his return.
2. Describe the relationship between Kareem and Sultana at the beginning of their marriage.
3. How did Sultana and Sara learn about their futures? What did they learn?
4. How did Sultana feel in the "Epilogue?" Why did she feel this way?
5. Where did the couple go for their honeymoon?
6. How did Kareem's mother and Sultana get into a fight?
7. How did the country react to the king's death?
8. Describe Sultana's wedding ceremony.
9. What did Sultana learn about an old friend, prior to her friend's father's death?
10. How did the king die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ali returned home from the U.S.
Part 1) Describe Ali's behavior in the U.S. Did he return home a changed man? Why or why not?
Part 2) What did Ali's return reveal about the impact of his upbringing and his experiences in the U.S.?
Part 3) How did Sultana reinforce the theme of strong women upon Ali's return? What did this reveal about Ali? What did this also reveal about Sultana?
Essay Topic 2
There was conflict between Sultana and her mother-in-law.
Part 1) Describe this conflict. Why did this conflict exist? How was this conflict resolved?
Part 2) How did Sultana show her strength throughout this ordeal? What could be learned from her?
Part 3) With whom have you had a conflict? How was this conflict resolved? Did you show your strength throughout this ordeal? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ali, the only son, was spoiled.
Part 1) Describe the effect this had on Ali's personality and actions. Why was he spoiled? How did this affect Sultana?
Part 2) Why were male children so important? How did this affect the treatment of women?
Part 3) Is there equality for men and women in the U.S.? Explain.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)