|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did women begin doing in Riyadh?
2. Sultana learned she was pregnant and decided to do what?
3. Ali returned from studying in America where he was enjoying what?
4. Why did Sultana seek revenge on her brother?
5. Immediately Kareem's aunts came to the house demanding what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sultana and Sara learn about their futures? What did they learn?
2. How did Sultana and her mother-in-law finally make up?
3. How did Sultana feel about Kareem?
4. What story did Sultana learn while in the hospital?
5. How did Sultana react to learning she was to be married?
6. How did Sultana react to Kareem's request to marry again?
7. What did Sultana learn from a woman she met on the flight to London?
8. Describe Ali's return home and his behavior upon his return.
9. Describe the relationship between Kareem and Sultana at the beginning of their marriage.
10. How did Kareem's mother and Sultana get into a fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sultana and some of her sisters were educated.
Part 1) Why did they receive an education? How did this affect them?
Part 2) Could the education of women help their situation in Saudi Arabia? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How did Sultana use her education to benefit herself and her family? What could you learn from this?
Essay Topic 2
Sultana traveled to Cairo.
Part 1) Describe this trip. Why was it significant?
Part 2) How did the events of this trip support a theme in this book?
Part 3) Where else did Sultana travel? How did this traveling affect her and her opinions about the role of men and women in Saudi Arabian society?
Essay Topic 3
Sultana did not attempt to help women in need.
Part 1) Describe the events in which Sultana did not go to the aid of other women. Why did she not try to help them?
Part 2) What did this lack of help for women in need say about the Saudi Arabian culture? What did it reveal about the women of this culture?
Part 3) If you were Sultana, would you have tried to help these women? Why or why not?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)