|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sultana refused to give an apple the cook had given her to whom?
2. What did Nura say about Ali's and Hadi's behavior?
3. What would Sultana eventually get?
4. Who did Sultana's father often overlook?
5. No one would do anything about Ali, because Sultana's father did not see the harm in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sultana begin to know the personal life of her maid?
2. What was significant about Sultana's trip to Cairo?
3. What happened to Ali as a result of the exposed pornography?
4. Describe Sara during the wedding.
5. What had happened to Madeline?
6. What happened one day when Sultana and Sara returned early from a shopping trip?
7. How did Sultana and her sister, Sara, feel about this opportunity to be educated?
8. For how long were Sultana and her mother told to stay away from Sara? Why were they able to see her after only four months?
9. How was Sara able to get divorced?
10. How did Sultana's father treat her and her sisters? How did he treat her brother? How did Sultana feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sultana and some of her sisters were educated.
Part 1) Why did they receive an education? How did this affect them?
Part 2) Could the education of women help their situation in Saudi Arabia? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How did Sultana use her education to benefit herself and her family? What could you learn from this?
Essay Topic 2
Sultana traveled to Cairo.
Part 1) Describe this trip. Why was it significant?
Part 2) How did the events of this trip support a theme in this book?
Part 3) Where else did Sultana travel? How did this traveling affect her and her opinions about the role of men and women in Saudi Arabian society?
Essay Topic 3
Sultana was sad at the end of the book.
Part 1) Why was she sad? How was this feeling of sadness carried throughout the book?
Part 2) Was there any hope for Sultana's life, her children, and her culture, according to Sultana? Why or why not? Do you believe there was hope for them? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has this book affected you, your view of Middle Eastern culture, and our own country? Why?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)