|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sultana's father was the son of whom?
2. Nura said there were___________ used in that way in many cities throughout the world.
3. Why did Sultana make an attempt to be happy?
4. Why were Sultana and her mother not allowed to see Sara for this length of time?
5. What did Sultana do to her father's new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened one day when Sultana and Sara returned early from a shopping trip?
2. Why was Sara married to this man?
3. What led to Randa's divorce from Sultana's father?
4. Describe Ali as a child. Why was he allowed to act this way?
5. What did Sultana and Sara do about this?
6. What were the consequences of Sultana's fight with Ali?
7. What did Sultana do with Ali's pornography stash? Why did she do this?
8. How did Sultana's father treat her and her sisters? How did he treat her brother? How did Sultana feel about this?
9. Why could nothing be done for this little girl?
10. What happened to Ali as a result of the exposed pornography?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The king of Saudi Arabia died.
Part 1) Describe this king. How was his country affected by his death? How were Sultana and her family affected? Why?
Part 2) What global effects might be seen due to his death? Why?
Part 3) Is the death a U.S. president as significant as the death of a Saudi Arabian king? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sultana was sad at the end of the book.
Part 1) Why was she sad? How was this feeling of sadness carried throughout the book?
Part 2) Was there any hope for Sultana's life, her children, and her culture, according to Sultana? Why or why not? Do you believe there was hope for them? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has this book affected you, your view of Middle Eastern culture, and our own country? Why?
Essay Topic 3
A theme is that of strong women.
Part 1) What women were strong in this story? How were they seen as strong?
Part 2) How is this theme connected to the theme of oppression? How do these two themes affect the relationships between men and women?
Part 3) How is this theme a universal theme?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)