|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the king's brothers want him to step down?
2. Why was Sara in the hospital?
3. In what did the smartest of all the siblings have a special interest?
4. Why did Sultana's father decide to marry again?
5. Why could the mutawas not punish them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was significant about Sultana's trip to Cairo?
2. How did Sara's dreams die?
3. Describe Ali as a child. Why was he allowed to act this way?
4. How did Sultana's trip end?
5. What did Sultana do with Ali's pornography stash? Why did she do this?
6. What happened when Sultana returned from her trip?
7. Why could nothing be done for this little girl?
8. What did Sultana and her mother learn about Sara's hospitalization?
9. Why did Nura take Sultana and Sara on a trip?
10. Why did Sultana's father marry again? How did Sultana feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sultana was sterilized.
Part 1) What led to her sterilization? How did this affect her?
Part 2) Did Kareem's reaction to her sterilization surprise you? Why or why not? Also, was Sultana's response surprising? Why or why not?
Part 3) Could Sultana have handled this situation in a less dramatic way? Why or why not? How might you have dealt with this? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sultana took her children to Europe.
Part 1) Why did she do this? What did this say about Sultana and the situation in which she found herself?
Part 2) How did this continue the theme of strong women? Could you have had the strength and courage to do this? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why did Kareem agree to Sultana's demands? What would have happened if he had not agreed? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Sara was married to a man twice her age.
Part 1) Why was she married to this man? How did this marriage affect her?
Part 2) Was this a typical marriage? Why or why not? How was Sara saved from this marriage?
Part 3) Compare her first marriage to her second. Why were they so different?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)