|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What took place in the middle of the desert as was the tradition in their country?
2. How was this man as king?
3. As Sultana and her brother fought, Omar, their father's driver, didwhat?
4. Sultana returned from her trip to learn what?
5. Mother and Sultana had to wait for Omar to bring them the letter from Father that would allow them to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the consequences of Sultana's fight with Ali?
2. For how long were Sultana and her mother told to stay away from Sara? Why were they able to see her after only four months?
3. What led to Randa's divorce from Sultana's father?
4. How did Sultana get the opportunity of an education?
5. What did Sultana do with Ali's pornography stash? Why did she do this?
6. What did Sultana and her mother learn about Sara's hospitalization?
7. How did Sultana learn that not all men were cruel?
8. What were the consequences for Wafa and Nadia?
9. What happened when Sa'ud did not take his brothers' advice?
10. What happened one day when Sultana and Sara returned early from a shopping trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sultana created a woman's group.
Part 1) Describe this woman's group. Why did she create this group? Why did it not turn out as she had planned?
Part 2) How could this group have been beneficial? Throughout history, what other women's groups have been formed? Why?
Part 3) Would a woman's group be necessary if men and women were equals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A theme is that of strong women.
Part 1) What women were strong in this story? How were they seen as strong?
Part 2) How is this theme connected to the theme of oppression? How do these two themes affect the relationships between men and women?
Part 3) How is this theme a universal theme?
Essay Topic 3
Ali, the only son, was spoiled.
Part 1) Describe the effect this had on Ali's personality and actions. Why was he spoiled? How did this affect Sultana?
Part 2) Why were male children so important? How did this affect the treatment of women?
Part 3) Is there equality for men and women in the U.S.? Explain.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)