|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing Amani speak poorly of her family, why did Sultana lock the family's jewels in a safe?
2. After the family's holy pilgrimage, they wished to return to Riyadh, but what forced them to delay the trip home?
3. How did the story of Reema's situation leave Sultana feeling?
4. After the holy pilgrimage, how did Amani's clothing change?
5. What news of Reema did the family learn when they arrived in Monaco?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the family's holy pilgrimage, a sandstorm prohibited them from returning to Riyadh and they travel to their vacation home in Jeddah. Explain how Jeddah was different from Riyadh in regard to its restrictions on women.
2. Explain why female circumcision was still practiced in Saudi Arabia during Sultana's lifetime.
3. One night in Cairo, Sultana's housekeeper began wailing while she cooked the family's supper. Why was Fatma upset?
4. Describe Saleem's attack on Reema and the outcome for Reema.
5. Describe the main reason why Abdullah's friend, Jafer, and Fayza were forbidden to marry.
6. When Sultana and her family arrived in Monaco to share a rented mansion villa with Sultana's sisters, why were the sisters in a state of anxiety and great sadness?
7. In the Epilogue, the sisters all gathered to remember their mother and to catch up on each other's lives. What did they learn had become of both Ali's wife, Nada, and their sister, Reema?
8. How did Sultana describe her sister, Reema's, appearance and demeanor that made her different from all the other sisters in the family?
9. With Abdullah's efforts to reunite Jafer and Fayza, what was the final outcome for the two forbidden lovers?
10. In addition to other important items, it was revealed that Abdullah also took nearly one million dollars in cash from the family safe. Explain what Abdullah did with that money and how Kareem felt about it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Sultana expressed a belief that her dead mother was communicating with her from beyond the grave. Recall at least two instances in which Sultana believed that her mother was communicating with her and describe the messages and the circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the various actions Abdullah took to help Jafer and Fayza be together. What parts of Abdullah's upbringing likely caused him to feel compelled to help the two be together?
Essay Topic 3
Sultana desired for the entire family to attend the holy pilgrimage to Makkah, but Kareem was unwilling to attend.
Part 1) Explain why a dream Kareem had scared him so much that he was afraid to attend the pilgrimage.
Part 2) Describe why Sultana feared that Kareem's dream had come true and how she reacted when she learned that it had not.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)