|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Max place the end of a bellows into Westley's mouth?
2. What happens as soon as the miracle pill passes down Westley's throat?
3. Why is Westley unable to protect himself against the Count's torture machine?
4. After the Count sets Westley's hand on fire, who tends to his burns?
5. Why does the Count become unnerved while fighting against Inigo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze what messages the author is trying to convey about placing exaggerated importance on appearances. Using specific examples from the story, determine what the author considers superfluous and what he regards as real.
Essay Topic 2
Draw parallels between Buttercup's tormenting nightmares and her nagging feelings that she's made terrible mistakes and doesn't deserve Westley's love. Use examples from Chapter Six.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze one of the following minor characters, explaining in detail what this character adds to the story:
1. Max, the miracle maker.
2. Valerie, the miracle maker's wife.
3. Count Rugen, the six-fingered man.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)