|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Inigo reason that the Man in Black is somewhere in Florin City?
2. What paralyzes Fezzik with fear in the Zoo's fourth level?
3. What does Fezzik inform Inigo about the six-fingered man?
4. Although Buttercup believes Westley is safe on his ship, in reality he is being what?
5. Why is the Count upset after Westley dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Inigo and Fezzik reunited after the death of Vizzini?
2. What is the Machine?
3. Describe what Westley means when he tells Humperdinck they will not fight to the death, but instead will fight to the pain.
4. Describe the words exchanged between Westley and the albino when they finally have their first real conversation.
5. Describe Westley's first experiences at the Zoo of Death.
6. How do Inigo, Westley, and Fezzik gain access to the key that grants them entry into the castle?
7. After Humperdinck's original plan to have Vizzini kidnap and kill Buttercup goes wrong, why is the Prince happy that his people are so enthralled by Buttercup?
8. How do Buttercup and Westley escape the castle?
9. In what way is the miracle pill defective?
10. How do Inigo, Fezzik, and Westley get past guards to reach the castle's gate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze one of the following minor characters, explaining in detail what this character adds to the story:
1. Max, the miracle maker.
2. Valerie, the miracle maker's wife.
3. Count Rugen, the six-fingered man.
Essay Topic 2
Westley leaves Buttercup to try to create a better life for the two of them, but his departure leads to devastating results. Later, Buttercup leaves Westley to save him, but her actions lead to major problems for both of them. Discuss the author's implication that, despite their good intentions, these characters should not be apart and would be better off sticking together through difficult times.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the following elements add levels of detail and intrigue to the story:
1. Humperdinck's and Buttercup's impending wedding.
2. The prince's penchant for hunting.
3. The prince's plot to kill his bride.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)