|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as soon as the miracle pill passes down Westley's throat?
2. Who demands the gate key from Yellin as the three comrades try to enter the castle?
3. When the Prince offers to send his four fastest ships in search of Westley's ship, what does he say each ship will carry?
4. In their quest to enter the castle, Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik work together, combining their what?
5. When Yellin refuses to give up the gate key, Fezzik threatens to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the deadly battle between Inigo Montoya and Count Rugen.
2. What does Inigo do once he regains consciousness after his battle with the Man in Black?
3. Describe the words exchanged between Westley and the albino when they finally have their first real conversation.
4. What happens at the moment Buttercup is about to kill herself with a dagger?
5. What happens when Count Rugen and several armed men find Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik inside the castle?
6. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik find the Man in Black at the Zoo of Death?
7. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik give Westley the miracle pill?
8. In what way is the miracle pill defective?
9. Describe what Westley means when he tells Humperdinck they will not fight to the death, but instead will fight to the pain.
10. How does Inigo know that the piercing scream heard across the land emanated from the Man in Black?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze what messages the author is trying to convey about placing exaggerated importance on appearances. Using specific examples from the story, determine what the author considers superfluous and what he regards as real.
Essay Topic 2
Westley goes through several transformations in the story, taking on the roles of farm boy, pirate, and a mysterious man in black. Describe who he is during each major phase of his life. Include his goals, dreams, character traits, skills, outlook on life, and how others view him. What important lessons does he learn as a farm boy? As a pirate? As the man in black coming back to his true love? How has he grown by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three men who kidnap Buttercup: Inigo, Fezzik, and Vizzini.
1. At a crucial point in the story, Westley replaces Vizzini. What makes Westley the better leader and team player?
2. Even though Inigo and Fezzik start out as enemies of Buttercup and Westley, the four end up good friends. At what point does friendship start to develop? What creates trust between these characters who initially distrust one another?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)