|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Inigo in pursuit of the Count, who has escaped through a door the Spaniard can't open, how does Fezzik assist?
2. How does Inigo fight off the menaces of the Zoo's fourth level?
3. Why do the men guarding the castle gate run away in panic as Fezzik approaches?
4. What two items does Westley request when he, Inigo, and Fezzik are trying to enter the castle?
5. Who demands the gate key from Yellin as the three comrades try to enter the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Fezzik after he awakens following his battle with the Man in Black?
2. What is the significance of Buttercup's nightmares?
3. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik give Westley the miracle pill?
4. What does Inigo do once he regains consciousness after his battle with the Man in Black?
5. In what way is the miracle pill defective?
6. Describe Westley's first experiences at the Zoo of Death.
7. Describe the words exchanged between Westley and the albino when they finally have their first real conversation.
8. Summarize the deadly battle between Inigo Montoya and Count Rugen.
9. Following her wedding to Humperdinck, what does Buttercup decide to do?
10. How do Inigo, Westley, and Fezzik gain access to the key that grants them entry into the castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast William Goldman's relationship with his son, Jason, and with his father.
1. Which man appears to have a closer relationship with his son? Why?
2. Despite their flawed relationships, how do love and caring show through in the relationship between Goldman and his son? Between Goldman and his father?
3. How does "The Princess Bride" serve as a bridge between the three generations?
4. Are any of these individuals real, or are they merely additional characters in the story? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Humor is used liberally throughout "The Princess Bride". Explain what makes humor an especially effective tool in describing Fezzik's and Inigo's venture into the ominous Zoo of Death.
Essay Topic 3
Every fairytale has a moral, even a satirical story. What would you say is the primary moral of "The Princess Bride"?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)