|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After using the torture machine on Westley for the first time, the Count asks how he feels. How does Westley respond?
2. After Buttercup insults the Prince, what does he do?
3. With Inigo in pursuit of the Count, who has escaped through a door the Spaniard can't open, how does Fezzik assist?
4. Once Buttercup is married to the Prince and realizes Westley is not coming for her, what does she decide to do?
5. What does Fezzik do when he can't find the Spaniard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who defeats the King bats at the Zoo of Death?
2. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik find the Man in Black at the Zoo of Death?
3. How does Inigo know that the piercing scream heard across the land emanated from the Man in Black?
4. What happens at the moment Buttercup is about to kill herself with a dagger?
5. What is the Machine?
6. What happens when Buttercup realizes that Humperdinck never sent out his four fastest ships to search for Westley?
7. How do Inigo, Westley, and Fezzik gain access to the key that grants them entry into the castle?
8. To pacify Buttercup, what false offer does Humperdinck make regarding Westley and his pirate ship?
9. Goldman's father always ended the book with, "And they lived happily ever after." But Goldman says he has his own theories about what happens after the escape from the castle. What are they?
10. What happens to Fezzik after he awakens following his battle with the Man in Black?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author creates a land filled with danger and enchantment, and his unique settings help bring this fairytale world to life. Describe the setting of each of the following, and explain what gives each place a fantasy-like quality:
1. The Cliffs of Insanity.
2. The Fire Swamp.
3. One Tree Island.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Fezzik and Waverly. What brings these two characters together? What forges their strong bond?
Essay Topic 3
Draw parallels between Buttercup's tormenting nightmares and her nagging feelings that she's made terrible mistakes and doesn't deserve Westley's love. Use examples from Chapter Six.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)