|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the castle gate, who is astonished to see Westley alive?
2. Why does Inigo reason that the Man in Black is somewhere in Florin City?
3. When Westley tells the Prince that they will fight to the pain, he explains that he will cut off many of Humperdinck's body parts, but leave his what?
4. How does the albino tend to Westley?
5. Who demands the gate key from Yellin as the three comrades try to enter the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Inigo and Fezzik reach the third level of the Zoo of Death.
2. What is the significance of Buttercup's nightmares?
3. What happens to Fezzik after he awakens following his battle with the Man in Black?
4. Who defeats the King bats at the Zoo of Death?
5. After Humperdinck's original plan to have Vizzini kidnap and kill Buttercup goes wrong, why is the Prince happy that his people are so enthralled by Buttercup?
6. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik find the Man in Black at the Zoo of Death?
7. Summarize the deadly battle between Inigo Montoya and Count Rugen.
8. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik give Westley the miracle pill?
9. What happens at the moment Buttercup is about to kill herself with a dagger?
10. How do Inigo, Westley, and Fezzik gain access to the key that grants them entry into the castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Draw parallels between Buttercup's tormenting nightmares and her nagging feelings that she's made terrible mistakes and doesn't deserve Westley's love. Use examples from Chapter Six.
Essay Topic 2
Westley leaves Buttercup to try to create a better life for the two of them, but his departure leads to devastating results. Later, Buttercup leaves Westley to save him, but her actions lead to major problems for both of them. Discuss the author's implication that, despite their good intentions, these characters should not be apart and would be better off sticking together through difficult times.
Essay Topic 3
Several props are important in the story. Specify the significance of the following:
1. The six-finger sword.
2. The holocaust cloak.
3. The man in black's mask.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)