|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Max place the end of a bellows into Westley's mouth?
2. What happens to Westley when the miracle pill stops working?
3. How does Inigo react when he finds the Man in Black dead?
4. Max doesn't get the formula right for the miracle pill, which means what?
5. What comes right before the Count's cheerful announcement to the Prince that the machine is ready?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast William Goldman's relationship with his son, Jason, and with his father.
1. Which man appears to have a closer relationship with his son? Why?
2. Despite their flawed relationships, how do love and caring show through in the relationship between Goldman and his son? Between Goldman and his father?
3. How does "The Princess Bride" serve as a bridge between the three generations?
4. Are any of these individuals real, or are they merely additional characters in the story? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The author creates a land filled with danger and enchantment, and his unique settings help bring this fairytale world to life. Describe the setting of each of the following, and explain what gives each place a fantasy-like quality:
1. The Cliffs of Insanity.
2. The Fire Swamp.
3. One Tree Island.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three men who kidnap Buttercup: Inigo, Fezzik, and Vizzini.
1. At a crucial point in the story, Westley replaces Vizzini. What makes Westley the better leader and team player?
2. Even though Inigo and Fezzik start out as enemies of Buttercup and Westley, the four end up good friends. At what point does friendship start to develop? What creates trust between these characters who initially distrust one another?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)