|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Westley, Fezzik, and Inigo break into the castle just moments after what happens?
2. After Fezzik and Inigo reunite, the fencer plots revenge against the Count and requires what from the Man in Black?
3. When Westley tells the Prince that they will fight to the pain, he explains that he will cut off many of Humperdinck's body parts, but leave his what?
4. Alone and defeated, where does Inigo go after he recalls the advice of Vizzini?
5. When the Prince offers to send his four fastest ships in search of Westley's ship, what does he say each ship will carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Buttercup realizes that Humperdinck never sent out his four fastest ships to search for Westley?
2. Describe what happens when Inigo and Fezzik reach the third level of the Zoo of Death.
3. What happens when Count Rugen and several armed men find Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik inside the castle?
4. Why does Miracle Max agree to help Inigo and Fezzik in their attempt to bring their dead friend back to life?
5. After Humperdinck's original plan to have Vizzini kidnap and kill Buttercup goes wrong, why is the Prince happy that his people are so enthralled by Buttercup?
6. What is the significance of Buttercup's nightmares?
7. In what way is the miracle pill defective?
8. Describe the words exchanged between Westley and the albino when they finally have their first real conversation.
9. What is the Machine?
10. Following her wedding to Humperdinck, what does Buttercup decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze one of the following minor characters, explaining in detail what this character adds to the story:
1. Max, the miracle maker.
2. Valerie, the miracle maker's wife.
3. Count Rugen, the six-fingered man.
Essay Topic 2
Every fairytale has a moral, even a satirical story. What would you say is the primary moral of "The Princess Bride"?
Essay Topic 3
Westley leaves Buttercup to try to create a better life for the two of them, but his departure leads to devastating results. Later, Buttercup leaves Westley to save him, but her actions lead to major problems for both of them. Discuss the author's implication that, despite their good intentions, these characters should not be apart and would be better off sticking together through difficult times.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)