|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hidden danger awaits intruders at the Zoo by the ornate green-handled door?
2. At what point does Rugen fully realize who Inigo is?
3. After Fezzik's and Inigo's reunion, how does the giant help the Spaniard?
4. After using the torture machine on Westley for the first time, the Count says that it has taken how much time away from his life?
5. When Westley awakens and finds himself chained, what does he hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the moment Buttercup is about to kill herself with a dagger?
2. How do Inigo, Westley, and Fezzik gain access to the key that grants them entry into the castle?
3. What is the significance of Buttercup's nightmares?
4. Describe what Westley means when he tells Humperdinck they will not fight to the death, but instead will fight to the pain.
5. Summarize the deadly battle between Inigo Montoya and Count Rugen.
6. What happens when Count Rugen and several armed men find Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik inside the castle?
7. How does Inigo know that the piercing scream heard across the land emanated from the Man in Black?
8. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik find the Man in Black at the Zoo of Death?
9. Describe what happens when Inigo and Fezzik reach the third level of the Zoo of Death.
10. How do Inigo, Fezzik, and Westley get past guards to reach the castle's gate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the father-son relationship between Inigo and his father, and between the author and his father. How do love and loyalty show through in both relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the following themes carried throughout the book:
1. True love.
3. The unpredictable side of life.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three men who kidnap Buttercup: Inigo, Fezzik, and Vizzini.
1. At a crucial point in the story, Westley replaces Vizzini. What makes Westley the better leader and team player?
2. Even though Inigo and Fezzik start out as enemies of Buttercup and Westley, the four end up good friends. At what point does friendship start to develop? What creates trust between these characters who initially distrust one another?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)