|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Inigo's initial reaction when the Count turns and runs away from him?
2. When Buttercup apologizes to Westley for getting married, what does he reply?
3. When Westley awakens and finds himself chained, what does he hear?
4. What does Buttercup call Humperdinck the night before their wedding?
5. As Fezzik and Inigo descend the stairwell of the Zoo's third level, what captures their free hands and their necks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inigo do once he regains consciousness after his battle with the Man in Black?
2. Describe the words exchanged between Westley and the albino when they finally have their first real conversation.
3. How do Buttercup and Westley escape the castle?
4. How does Inigo know that the piercing scream heard across the land emanated from the Man in Black?
5. Describe what Westley means when he tells Humperdinck they will not fight to the death, but instead will fight to the pain.
6. How are Inigo and Fezzik reunited after the death of Vizzini?
7. After his reunion with Fezzik, why does Inigo want to find the Man in Black?
8. How do Inigo, Westley, and Fezzik gain access to the key that grants them entry into the castle?
9. After Humperdinck's original plan to have Vizzini kidnap and kill Buttercup goes wrong, why is the Prince happy that his people are so enthralled by Buttercup?
10. Goldman's father always ended the book with, "And they lived happily ever after." But Goldman says he has his own theories about what happens after the escape from the castle. What are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Draw parallels between Buttercup's tormenting nightmares and her nagging feelings that she's made terrible mistakes and doesn't deserve Westley's love. Use examples from Chapter Six.
Essay Topic 2
Several props are important in the story. Specify the significance of the following:
1. The six-finger sword.
2. The holocaust cloak.
3. The man in black's mask.
Essay Topic 3
Westley goes through several transformations in the story, taking on the roles of farm boy, pirate, and a mysterious man in black. Describe who he is during each major phase of his life. Include his goals, dreams, character traits, skills, outlook on life, and how others view him. What important lessons does he learn as a farm boy? As a pirate? As the man in black coming back to his true love? How has he grown by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)