|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Inigo's father is a master craftsman who makes what?
2. After the author recovered from his childhood episode, what did he crave?
3. How old is Buttercup when she is introduced to the people of Florin City?
4. What do Fezzik's parents die from in Mongolia?
5. Buttercup doesn't care about her image and doesn't like to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there any love in the courtship between Buttercup and Humperdinck?
2. How does Fezzik feel when he sees the Man in Black approaching after his fight with Inigo?
3. What is Prince Humperdinck's demeanor as he pursues whoever kidnapped Buttercup?
4. What is the outcome of the sword fight between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black?
5. What does the author say is the outcome of his father reading "The Princess Bride" to him?
6. Who is the Dread Pirate Roberts?
7. Describe Fezzik's childhood.
8. During a fancy dinner, why does the Prince storm out in a huff shouting that he will not marry Princess Noreena, a dinner guest?
9. Why does Goldman decide to abridge "The Princess Bride"?
10. How does the Man in Black reach the top of the Cliffs of Insanity after Vizzini cuts the rope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unlikely friendships develop as the plot thickens. Discuss how unlikely alliances are shaped based on the following:
1. Personal need.
2. Mutual respect or admiration.
3. Genuine, selfless love.
Essay Topic 2
Draw parallels between Buttercup's tormenting nightmares and her nagging feelings that she's made terrible mistakes and doesn't deserve Westley's love. Use examples from Chapter Six.
Essay Topic 3
Several props are important in the story. Specify the significance of the following:
1. The six-finger sword.
2. The holocaust cloak.
3. The man in black's mask.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)