|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Fezzik when he has his first professional fight?
2. What do Fezzik's parents die from in Mongolia?
3. Who is Count Rugen?
4. Short and stocky, Prince Humperdinck walks like a what?
5. When Roberts takes Westley aside to explain that he is not the real Dread Pirate Roberts, what does he say about the original Roberts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Dread Pirate Roberts?
2. How does Buttercup realize that the Man in Black is Westley?
3. Is there any love in the courtship between Buttercup and Humperdinck?
4. Describe Prince Humperdinck's personality and physical attributes.
5. Why does Buttercup leave Westley and go with Humperdinck outside the Fire Swamp?
6. How does Buttercup try to escape her kidnappers?
7. How does the Man in Black reach the top of the Cliffs of Insanity after Vizzini cuts the rope?
8. How does Fezzik end up with Vizzini?
9. As future queen of Florin, how does Buttercup regard the people?
10. Describe Inigo's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Florin's world of tragedy, betrayal, revenge, and other harsh realities, one thing remains pure and worth making sacrifices for: the ongoing love between Westley and Buttercup.
1. Explain how the love between these two characters serves as a tool to keep the reader's hope and interest level alive even in the midst of the most hopeless situations that the book's various characters find themselves in.
2. How does the love shared between Westley and Buttercup help advance the plot line?
Essay Topic 2
The author creates a land filled with danger and enchantment, and his unique settings help bring this fairytale world to life. Describe the setting of each of the following, and explain what gives each place a fantasy-like quality:
1. The Cliffs of Insanity.
2. The Fire Swamp.
3. One Tree Island.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three men who kidnap Buttercup: Inigo, Fezzik, and Vizzini.
1. At a crucial point in the story, Westley replaces Vizzini. What makes Westley the better leader and team player?
2. Even though Inigo and Fezzik start out as enemies of Buttercup and Westley, the four end up good friends. At what point does friendship start to develop? What creates trust between these characters who initially distrust one another?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)