|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What childhood ideals did the author see slipping away from his life?
2. As a child, the author was what?
3. When the author was a child in 1941, what happened to him?
4. When Buttercup falls into Snow Sand, she what?
5. How does the Sicilian want Fezzik to finish off the Man in Black?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the dynamics of the relationship between King Lotharon and Queen Bella?
2. How does Buttercup realize that the Man in Black is Westley?
3. In what way is the miracle pill defective?
4. What happens to Fezzik after he awakens following his battle with the Man in Black?
5. Why does Goldman decide to abridge "The Princess Bride"?
6. Who is Waverly, and how does she come into the world?
7. How does Goldman try to connect with his son, Jason, through "The Princess Bride"?
8. What happens at the moment Buttercup is about to kill herself with a dagger?
9. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik give Westley the miracle pill?
10. Describe Westley's first experiences at the Zoo of Death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the following elements add levels of detail and intrigue to the story:
1. Humperdinck's and Buttercup's impending wedding.
2. The prince's penchant for hunting.
3. The prince's plot to kill his bride.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the actual author, William Goldman, creates a fictitious author, S. Morgenstern, for "The Princess Bride", trying to pass him off as the real author.
1. How does this narrative device present opportunities for Goldman to take creative liberties with the story?
2. What tools and techniques does the author use to make his premise of another author believable?
Essay Topic 3
Every fairytale has a moral, even a satirical story. What would you say is the primary moral of "The Princess Bride"?
This section contains 1,597 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)