|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Short and stocky, Prince Humperdinck walks like a what?
2. When the boat reaches the Cliffs of Insanity, what does the Spaniard note?
3. Why is Westley leaving for America?
4. The initials R.O.U.S. stand for what?
5. When Buttercup takes Horse out for a ride and ponders her impending marriage, she is approached by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the six-fingered man kill Domingo Montoya?
2. How does Goldman try to connect with his son, Jason, through "The Princess Bride"?
3. How does Fezzik feel when he sees the Man in Black approaching after his fight with Inigo?
4. Why does Buttercup grow jealous over the way the Countess stared at Westley?
5. How does the Man in Black reach the top of the Cliffs of Insanity after Vizzini cuts the rope?
6. As future queen of Florin, how does Buttercup regard the people?
7. Who is the Dread Pirate Roberts?
8. Describe Inigo's childhood.
9. What are the dynamics of the relationship between King Lotharon and Queen Bella?
10. What obstacles do Westley and Buttercup face in the Fire Swamp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Draw parallels between Buttercup's tormenting nightmares and her nagging feelings that she's made terrible mistakes and doesn't deserve Westley's love. Use examples from Chapter Six.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze what messages the author is trying to convey about placing exaggerated importance on appearances. Using specific examples from the story, determine what the author considers superfluous and what he regards as real.
Essay Topic 3
Every fairytale has a moral, even a satirical story. What would you say is the primary moral of "The Princess Bride"?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)