|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Prince announces that his wedding to Buttercup will take place on what occasion?
2. Why are other girls NOT talking to Buttercup when she turns sixteen?
3. When the Count and Countess stop at Buttercup's house, the Count wants to see Buttercup, and the Countess wants to see who?
4. How many years does Inigo spend learning how to fence?
5. How does young Buttercup like spending most of her time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Inigo and Fezzik give Westley the miracle pill?
2. What happens when Count Rugen and several armed men find Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik inside the castle?
3. During a fancy dinner, why does the Prince storm out in a huff shouting that he will not marry Princess Noreena, a dinner guest?
4. In the last chapter, what do we learn about Inigo's long-lost love?
5. Summarize the deadly battle between Inigo Montoya and Count Rugen.
6. Who is the Dread Pirate Roberts?
7. How does Buttercup try to escape her kidnappers?
8. After his reunion with Fezzik, why does Inigo want to find the Man in Black?
9. How do Inigo, Westley, and Fezzik gain access to the key that grants them entry into the castle?
10. How do Buttercup and Westley escape the castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Westley leaves Buttercup to try to create a better life for the two of them, but his departure leads to devastating results. Later, Buttercup leaves Westley to save him, but her actions lead to major problems for both of them. Discuss the author's implication that, despite their good intentions, these characters should not be apart and would be better off sticking together through difficult times.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the three men who kidnap Buttercup: Inigo, Fezzik, and Vizzini.
1. At a crucial point in the story, Westley replaces Vizzini. What makes Westley the better leader and team player?
2. Even though Inigo and Fezzik start out as enemies of Buttercup and Westley, the four end up good friends. At what point does friendship start to develop? What creates trust between these characters who initially distrust one another?
Essay Topic 3
Unlikely friendships develop as the plot thickens. Discuss how unlikely alliances are shaped based on the following:
1. Personal need.
2. Mutual respect or admiration.
3. Genuine, selfless love.
This section contains 1,741 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)