|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the author recovered from his childhood episode, what did he crave?
2. Who entertained the author when he was a child recovering at home?
3. Who is Prince Humperdinck?
4. When the boat reaches the Cliffs of Insanity, what does the Spaniard note?
5. What happens to Westley's ship off the coast of America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Buttercup grow jealous over the way the Countess stared at Westley?
2. Why does the six-fingered man kill Domingo Montoya?
3. As future queen of Florin, how does Buttercup regard the people?
4. What is Prince Humperdinck's demeanor as he pursues whoever kidnapped Buttercup?
5. Describe Prince Humperdinck's personality and physical attributes.
6. Why does Westley decide to leave Buttercup and sail to America?
7. What are the dynamics of the relationship between King Lotharon and Queen Bella?
8. What is the outcome of the sword fight between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black?
9. How does Goldman try to connect with his son, Jason, through "The Princess Bride"?
10. How do Vizzini, Fezzik, and Inigo come to kidnap Buttercup?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Humor is used liberally throughout "The Princess Bride". Explain what makes humor an especially effective tool in describing Fezzik's and Inigo's venture into the ominous Zoo of Death.
Essay Topic 2
The author creates a land filled with danger and enchantment, and his unique settings help bring this fairytale world to life. Describe the setting of each of the following, and explain what gives each place a fantasy-like quality:
1. The Cliffs of Insanity.
2. The Fire Swamp.
3. One Tree Island.
Essay Topic 3
Westley goes through several transformations in the story, taking on the roles of farm boy, pirate, and a mysterious man in black. Describe who he is during each major phase of his life. Include his goals, dreams, character traits, skills, outlook on life, and how others view him. What important lessons does he learn as a farm boy? As a pirate? As the man in black coming back to his true love? How has he grown by the end of the book?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)