|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whenever Dread Pirate Roberts' ship is passed down to a successor, what happens?
2. How many levels is the Zoo of Death composed of?
3. Short and stocky, Prince Humperdinck walks like a what?
4. What do Fezzik's parents die from in Mongolia?
5. How old is Buttercup when she is introduced to the people of Florin City?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Buttercup and Westley escape the castle?
2. In the last chapter, what do we learn about Inigo's long-lost love?
3. What are the dynamics of the relationship between King Lotharon and Queen Bella?
4. Is there any love in the courtship between Buttercup and Humperdinck?
5. What does Inigo do once he regains consciousness after his battle with the Man in Black?
6. In what way is the miracle pill defective?
7. What happens to Fezzik after he awakens following his battle with the Man in Black?
8. How does Buttercup realize that the Man in Black is Westley?
9. What obstacles do Westley and Buttercup face in the Fire Swamp?
10. What is the outcome of the sword fight between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast William Goldman's relationship with his son, Jason, and with his father.
1. Which man appears to have a closer relationship with his son? Why?
2. Despite their flawed relationships, how do love and caring show through in the relationship between Goldman and his son? Between Goldman and his father?
3. How does "The Princess Bride" serve as a bridge between the three generations?
4. Are any of these individuals real, or are they merely additional characters in the story? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Draw parallels between Buttercup's tormenting nightmares and her nagging feelings that she's made terrible mistakes and doesn't deserve Westley's love. Use examples from Chapter Six.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze one of the following minor characters, explaining in detail what this character adds to the story:
1. Max, the miracle maker.
2. Valerie, the miracle maker's wife.
3. Count Rugen, the six-fingered man.
This section contains 1,689 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)