|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Westley prepares to leave for America, what does Buttercup promise?
2. Why does Humperdinck refuse to marry Princess Noreena?
3. How old is Fezzik when he has his first professional fight?
4. The Prince announces that his wedding to Buttercup will take place on what occasion?
5. Why does Buttercup toss and turn all night following the visit from the Count and Countess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Man in Black outsmart and defeat Vizzini?
2. During a fancy dinner, why does the Prince storm out in a huff shouting that he will not marry Princess Noreena, a dinner guest?
3. Why does the six-fingered man kill Domingo Montoya?
4. What is the outcome of the sword fight between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black?
5. Is there any love in the courtship between Buttercup and Humperdinck?
6. What is Prince Humperdinck's demeanor as he pursues whoever kidnapped Buttercup?
7. Why does Buttercup grow jealous over the way the Countess stared at Westley?
8. Describe Prince Humperdinck's personality and physical attributes.
9. As future queen of Florin, how does Buttercup regard the people?
10. What obstacles do Westley and Buttercup face in the Fire Swamp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every fairytale has a moral, even a satirical story. What would you say is the primary moral of "The Princess Bride"?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the father-son relationship between Inigo and his father, and between the author and his father. How do love and loyalty show through in both relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Unlikely friendships develop as the plot thickens. Discuss how unlikely alliances are shaped based on the following:
1. Personal need.
2. Mutual respect or admiration.
3. Genuine, selfless love.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)