|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Inigo Montoya's father?
2. Why are other girls NOT talking to Buttercup when she turns sixteen?
3. Inigo grows up in Central Spain raised by his:
4. When the author was a child in 1941, what happened to him?
5. When Humperdinck reaches the Cliffs of Insanity and studies the climbing marks on the side of the cliff, what does he order his Armada to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the dynamics of the relationship between King Lotharon and Queen Bella?
2. How does the Man in Black outsmart and defeat Vizzini?
3. How does Goldman try to connect with his son, Jason, through "The Princess Bride"?
4. How does Buttercup regard her own appearance?
5. How do Vizzini, Fezzik, and Inigo come to kidnap Buttercup?
6. Why does the six-fingered man kill Domingo Montoya?
7. How does the Man in Black reach the top of the Cliffs of Insanity after Vizzini cuts the rope?
8. Whenever the farm boy says "As you wish", what does he really mean?
9. Why does Goldman decide to abridge "The Princess Bride"?
10. During a fancy dinner, why does the Prince storm out in a huff shouting that he will not marry Princess Noreena, a dinner guest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unlikely friendships develop as the plot thickens. Discuss how unlikely alliances are shaped based on the following:
1. Personal need.
2. Mutual respect or admiration.
3. Genuine, selfless love.
Essay Topic 2
Westley goes through several transformations in the story, taking on the roles of farm boy, pirate, and a mysterious man in black. Describe who he is during each major phase of his life. Include his goals, dreams, character traits, skills, outlook on life, and how others view him. What important lessons does he learn as a farm boy? As a pirate? As the man in black coming back to his true love? How has he grown by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the following themes carried throughout the book:
1. True love.
3. The unpredictable side of life.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)