|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Discouraged because he can't find his father's murderer, Inigo starts to do what?
2. When the author was a child in 1941, what happened to him?
3. When Buttercup pushes the Man in Black down a ravine and says he can die for all she cares, he says what?
4. How old is Inigo when the six-fingered man kills his father?
5. Inigo grows up in Central Spain raised by his:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of the sword fight between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black?
2. Who is the Dread Pirate Roberts?
3. Does the author's account of his father reading "The Princess Bride" seem credible to him?
4. How do Vizzini, Fezzik, and Inigo come to kidnap Buttercup?
5. What obstacles do Westley and Buttercup face in the Fire Swamp?
6. Why does Buttercup grow jealous over the way the Countess stared at Westley?
7. How does Buttercup try to escape her kidnappers?
8. Is there any love in the courtship between Buttercup and Humperdinck?
9. Whenever the farm boy says "As you wish", what does he really mean?
10. Why does Goldman decide to abridge "The Princess Bride"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Draw parallels between Buttercup's tormenting nightmares and her nagging feelings that she's made terrible mistakes and doesn't deserve Westley's love. Use examples from Chapter Six.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the following elements add levels of detail and intrigue to the story:
1. Humperdinck's and Buttercup's impending wedding.
2. The prince's penchant for hunting.
3. The prince's plot to kill his bride.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the father-son relationship between Inigo and his father, and between the author and his father. How do love and loyalty show through in both relationships?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)