|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The initials R.O.U.S. stand for what?
2. How old is Inigo when the Sicilian finds him?
3. How long do Humperdinck and Buttercup court?
4. How does young Buttercup like spending most of her time?
5. Inigo grows up in Central Spain raised by his:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say is the outcome of his father reading "The Princess Bride" to him?
2. How does Fezzik feel when he sees the Man in Black approaching after his fight with Inigo?
3. Describe Fezzik's childhood.
4. Does the author's account of his father reading "The Princess Bride" seem credible to him?
5. Why does Goldman decide to abridge "The Princess Bride"?
6. How does the Man in Black outsmart and defeat Vizzini?
7. What is Prince Humperdinck's demeanor as he pursues whoever kidnapped Buttercup?
8. Why does the six-fingered man kill Domingo Montoya?
9. What are the dynamics of the relationship between King Lotharon and Queen Bella?
10. How does Buttercup try to escape her kidnappers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze what messages the author is trying to convey about placing exaggerated importance on appearances. Using specific examples from the story, determine what the author considers superfluous and what he regards as real.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Fezzik and Waverly. What brings these two characters together? What forges their strong bond?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the following elements add levels of detail and intrigue to the story:
1. Humperdinck's and Buttercup's impending wedding.
2. The prince's penchant for hunting.
3. The prince's plot to kill his bride.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)