|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their sword duel, what do Inigo and the Man in Black discover about each other?
2. What does the Man in Black notice about the Count?
3. Discouraged because he can't find his father's murderer, Inigo starts to do what?
4. When Buttercup jumps overboard into Florin Channel, someone tells her that she should beware of what?
5. How old is Inigo when the Sicilian finds him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fezzik feel when he sees the Man in Black approaching after his fight with Inigo?
2. During a fancy dinner, why does the Prince storm out in a huff shouting that he will not marry Princess Noreena, a dinner guest?
3. Why does Goldman decide to abridge "The Princess Bride"?
4. Why does Buttercup grow jealous over the way the Countess stared at Westley?
5. How does Fezzik end up with Vizzini?
6. What does the author say is the outcome of his father reading "The Princess Bride" to him?
7. Describe Inigo's childhood.
8. Why does Westley decide to leave Buttercup and sail to America?
9. How does Buttercup try to escape her kidnappers?
10. As future queen of Florin, how does Buttercup regard the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unlikely friendships develop as the plot thickens. Discuss how unlikely alliances are shaped based on the following:
1. Personal need.
2. Mutual respect or admiration.
3. Genuine, selfless love.
Essay Topic 2
In Florin's world of tragedy, betrayal, revenge, and other harsh realities, one thing remains pure and worth making sacrifices for: the ongoing love between Westley and Buttercup.
1. Explain how the love between these two characters serves as a tool to keep the reader's hope and interest level alive even in the midst of the most hopeless situations that the book's various characters find themselves in.
2. How does the love shared between Westley and Buttercup help advance the plot line?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Fezzik and Waverly. What brings these two characters together? What forges their strong bond?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)