|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who entertained the author when he was a child recovering at home?
2. What does the Sicilian do when he reaches the top of the Cliffs of Insanity?
(a) Pushes the Swede over the edge.
(b) Utters a prayer of thanks.
(c) Unties the rope.
(d) Fires off a flare.
3. Who is Count Rugen?
(a) Rich man who spies on Humperdinck.
(b) Close friend of the farm boy.
(c) Close friend of Prince Humperdinck.
(d) Rich man who spies on the farm boy.
4. The initials R.O.U.S. stand for what?
(a) Reptiles of uncommon strength.
(b) Rodents of unquestionable savageness.
(c) Rodents of unusual size.
(d) Reptiles of unthinkable swiftness.
5. After being attacked by several R.O.U.S., Westley is left with a wound where?
6. As the kidnappers start climbing the Cliffs of Insanity, what happens to the boat?
(a) It drifts away.
(b) It sinks.
(c) It crashes into the rocks and is destroyed.
(d) It's captured by pirates.
7. Who fishes Buttercup out of Florin Channel?
(a) The pirate.
(b) The Spaniard.
(c) The Turk.
(d) The Swede.
8. What childhood ideals did the author see slipping away from his life?
(a) Family life and loyalty.
(b) Honesty and integrity.
(c) Chivalry and treating others as yourself.
(d) High adventure and true love.
9. When the Prince and the Count reach the place where Buttercup and the Man in Black have fallen down the ravine, Humperdinck notes how odd it is for such a master to flee in what?
(a) Such a hurry.
(b) A place that is so easily accessible.
(c) A ravine that leads to the Fire Swamp.
(d) A ravine that has no outlet.
10. How did the author's relative entertain him during his recovery period?
(a) Inventing action stories.
(b) Reciting songs and poems.
(c) Reading him a story.
(d) Sharing family secrets.
11. Fezzik is the size of a typical man by the time he is in:
(c) Fifth grade.
(d) Third grade.
12. When the Count and Countess stop at Buttercup's house, the Count wants to see Buttercup, and the Countess wants to see who?
(a) Her parents.
(c) Her horse.
(d) The stable.
13. Short and stocky, Prince Humperdinck walks like a what?
14. As a child, the author was what?
(a) An active, social child involved in theater and sports.
(b) A loner who did not excel in sports.
(c) A painfully shy child who loved math and science.
(d) A bubbly child who played the banjo.
15. While the author's family was in New York, where was he?
(a) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is William Goldman?
2. Why is Prince Humperdinck upset when he learns that King Lotharon is dying?
3. Why does Buttercup toss and turn all night following the visit from the Count and Countess?
4. The Prince tells the Count to place the Man in Black where?
5. Why is Westley leaving for America?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)