|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olana allow the girls to do in the summer?
2. Where do the girls continue to study?
3. What do the girls talk about one day after class concerning why they were at the academy?
4. What does Miri remember is in her pocket?
5. What has started blooming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dan threaten to kill Miri?
2. Why are the girls trapped in the school with the bandits and what do the girls realize?
3. What do the bandits want after taking over the school and how do the girls respond?
4. What realization does Miri have about her desire for the future?
5. What happens whenever the traders come and what does Miri receive from Pa for her birthday?
6. How does Miri and Peder's relationship seem at the end of the story?
7. How does the idea of schooling expand?
8. How many hostages do the bandits have and how many bandits do the villagers have, and what does Os suggest?
9. What do Miri and Esa think about concerning the prince?
10. How do Peder and Miri have a falling out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Princess Academy". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hale chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hale chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hale's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hale use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Princess Academy" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Princess Academy is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Princess Academy" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Shannnon Hale.
2. What in Hale's background may have helped him in writing "Princess Academy"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)