|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Miri embarrassed at the celebration?
(a) Peder asks her to dance.
(b) She spills a drink on her dress.
(c) She falls asleep at the fire.
(d) She forgets what the price of the linder block is.
2. What makes the girls feel small and insignificant?
(a) A group of nobles who come and tour the academy.
(c) Their newfound knowledge of Danland.
(d) Olanda's telling them about royalty.
3. Who is Steffan?
(a) The linder mine supervisor.
(b) The Prince.
(c) One of the village boys.
(d) Britta's father.
4. What is quarry-speech?
(a) The language the priest uses in his chanting in the temple.
(b) A way of communicating in the noisy mine environment.
(c) The way the lowlanders are said to talk.
(d) The way the kids talk to each other so their parents won't understand.
5. What does Miri realize about quarry-speech?
(a) It uses memories to carry messages.
(b) It uses mental images to convey messages.
(c) It works mind to mind.
(d) It is not real.
6. What does Peder say about quarry work?
(a) He is sometimes bored with it.
(b) He cannot imagine doing it for the rest of his life.
(c) He thinks it can be executed more efficiently.
(d) He loves every second of it.
7. Who reminds Olanda about Miri?
(a) No one.
8. Who is the only one able to read out loud one day in the classroom?
(d) No one.
9. Why can't lowlanders hear quarry-speech?
(a) They can hear quarry-speech..
(b) They do not have the genetic traits.
(c) They do not have enough shared memories.
(d) They do not have quarry dust in their blood.
10. How old is Miri when her mother dies?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 10 years.
11. What does Miri say about Enrik?
(a) He is good looking.
(b) He is not helpful.
(c) He is stingy.
(d) He is kind.
12. Where is Enrik's home?
(a) The lowlands.
(b) In the Linder forest.
(c) Up in the mountains.
(d) A village on the ocean.
13. How does Miri want to talk to Peder?
(a) In the King's high language she's been learning.
(b) With what she learned in Conversation.
(c) Without his family around.
14. Where is the academy?
(a) In the lowlands.
(b) Near the Dark Forest.
(c) In the stone minister's house.
(d) On the top of Mount Eskel.
15. Why does Miri hide the book she is reading?
(a) Another student comes into the classroom.
(b) The prince comes into the classroom.
(c) Olana comes into the classroom.
(d) Her pa is outside needing to speak to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the village's only natural resource?
2. What is Miri not wanting to do in order to get her family a house?
3. What scares Miri as she wakes?
4. Who does Olana decide will be allowed to go back to the village?
5. What does Olana never let the girls forget?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)