|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Katar step in at the last minute?
(a) Self interest.
(b) To impress one of the village boys who walked to the academy with the girls.
(c) She feels sorry for Miri.
(d) She feels sorry for Olana.
2. With whom does Miri discuss Olana's cruelty?
3. What does Miri realize after sharing a memory with Peder?
(a) She does not want to go back to the academy.
(b) Linder makes quarry-speech work.
(c) She loves Peder.
(d) She wants to become a quarry worker.
4. What is the status of Mount Eskel?
(a) A protectorate.
(b) A province.
(c) A territory.
(d) A Duchy.
5. What does Miri want to see in the lowlands?
(a) A dragon.
(b) The gardens.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The palace.
6. What is Miri determined to do concerning Enrik?
(a) Convince him to hire her.
(b) Trade with him.
(c) Convince him to take her on his next journey.
(d) Make him learn to read.
7. Who is Steffan?
(a) One of the village boys.
(b) The linder mine supervisor.
(c) Britta's father.
(d) The Prince.
8. What is quarry-speech?
(a) The way the lowlanders are said to talk.
(b) The way the kids talk to each other so their parents won't understand.
(c) The language the priest uses in his chanting in the temple.
(d) A way of communicating in the noisy mine environment.
9. Why is Miri embarrassed at the celebration?
(a) Peder asks her to dance.
(b) She spills a drink on her dress.
(c) She falls asleep at the fire.
(d) She forgets what the price of the linder block is.
10. What is Miri not wanting to do in order to get her family a house?
(a) Pretending to be deaf to the quarry speech.
(b) Marry the prince.
(c) Give up a possibility of being the academy princess.
(d) Never work in the linder mines.
11. Who does Miri overhear speaking about her in the evening?
(a) Britta and Liana.
(b) Katar and Britta.
(c) Bena, Katar and Britta.
(d) Bena, Liana and Katar.
12. Who is the only one able to read out loud one day in the classroom?
(c) No one.
13. What do the girls discuss on their way back to the academy?
(a) The village boys.
(b) Who will be chosen to be the prince's bride.
(c) Buying a thank-present for Olana.
14. Where does Miri continue practicing reading?
(a) The library.
(b) In a small cave she finds.
(c) The bedchamber.
(d) In a tree she climbs.
15. What does Miri attempt to read one day?
(a) A story about the prince's birth.
(b) The History of the Highlands.
(c) The History of Danland.
(d) A letter her mother wrote.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Katar jealous?
2. How does Miri feel at the academy?
3. What does Miri want to work towards?
4. How does Britta manage to get out of working at the quarry?
5. What does Olana never let the girls forget?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)