|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Miri when her mother dies?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 1 week.
2. Who is Mardo?
(a) Miri's sister.
(b) Miri's aunt.
(c) Miri's best friend.
(d) Miri's grandmother.
3. What is quarry-speech?
(a) A way of communicating in the noisy mine environment.
(b) The way the kids talk to each other so their parents won't understand.
(c) The way the lowlanders are said to talk.
(d) The language the priest uses in his chanting in the temple.
4. Who is the only one able to read out loud one day in the classroom?
(c) No one.
5. What do Miri and Marda decide not to do?
(a) Go with Pa to the festival.
(b) Trade with Enrik again.
(c) Work the mines.
(d) Go to the academy.
6. With whom does Miri decide to try out her quarry-speech?
7. What is Miri not wanting to do in order to get her family a house?
(a) Pretending to be deaf to the quarry speech.
(b) Marry the prince.
(c) Give up a possibility of being the academy princess.
(d) Never work in the linder mines.
8. What happens to Marda?
(a) She is apprenticed to a weaver.
(b) She is hurt in the mines.
(c) She is apprenticed to a potter.
9. Who is Steffan?
(a) The linder mine supervisor.
(b) Britta's father.
(c) The Prince.
(d) One of the village boys.
10. What does Pa say about linder?
(a) It's what keeps the village people healthy.
(b) It's just stone.
(c) It's magical.
(d) It's in the peoples' bones.
11. What does Miri think about as much as becoming a princess?
(b) Her mother's letters which she can now read.
12. How does Miri feel at the academy?
(a) Happy to be learning.
(b) Depressed because she misses her dog.
(c) Isolated from the other girls.
(d) Excited at the new friends she is making.
13. What do the girls think is a fitting punishment?
(a) Standing at the back of the classroom.
(b) Helping the cook kitchen.
(c) Writing an extra assignment.
(d) Missing a meal.
14. Who does Miri overhear speaking about her in the evening?
(a) Katar and Britta.
(b) Britta and Liana.
(c) Bena, Katar and Britta.
(d) Bena, Liana and Katar.
15. What does Pa try to prevent soldiers from doing?
(a) Talking rough in front of his daughters.
(b) Taking more of their grain than necessary for their horses.
(c) Taking Miri.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Miri continue practicing reading?
2. Where is the academy?
3. Why does Miri dismiss Britta?
4. What happens when Olana catches Miri returning a book?
5. What do Bena and Liana think of the village boys?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)