|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Miri bond?
2. Where is the academy?
(a) Near the Dark Forest.
(b) In the lowlands.
(c) In the stone minister's house.
(d) On the top of Mount Eskel.
3. What does Miri remember from long ago?
(a) Her mother screaming like that.
(b) A bandit attack.
(c) A fox family she saw in a cave.
(d) Her uncle visiting and her father yelling then, too.
4. What are the ages of the girls who must attend an academy?
5. How does Britta manage to get out of working at the quarry?
(a) She bribes the administrator.
(b) She smashed her finger.
(c) She wants to work at the quarry.
(d) She acted deaf.
6. What will Miri's Pa not let her do?
(a) Bake for her brother.
(b) Leave before her aunt and uncle arrive.
(c) Go to the Linder mines.
(d) Take her sister with her.
7. Where is Enrik's home?
(a) A village on the ocean.
(b) The lowlands.
(c) Up in the mountains.
(d) In the Linder forest.
8. Why is Miri embarrassed at the celebration?
(a) She falls asleep at the fire.
(b) She spills a drink on her dress.
(c) She forgets what the price of the linder block is.
(d) Peder asks her to dance.
9. What have priests determined about Mount Eskel?
(a) That it is in danger of a plague.
(b) The prince's bride will come from there.
(c) It is in danger from a possible volcanic eruption.
(d) It is the site of the first landing of their peoples.
10. What is quarry-speech?
(a) The way the lowlanders are said to talk.
(b) The way the kids talk to each other so their parents won't understand.
(c) A way of communicating in the noisy mine environment.
(d) The language the priest uses in his chanting in the temple.
11. What does Pa try to prevent soldiers from doing?
(a) Taking Miri.
(c) Taking more of their grain than necessary for their horses.
(d) Talking rough in front of his daughters.
12. What makes the girls feel small and insignificant?
(b) A group of nobles who come and tour the academy.
(c) Olanda's telling them about royalty.
(d) Their newfound knowledge of Danland.
13. Whose hand does Miri take as she is walking to the academy?
14. What happens when Olana catches Miri returning a book?
(a) Miri has to stay in the closet.
(b) Miri has to leave the academy.
(c) Olana offers to help Miri read better.
(d) Miri has to admit her deed to the class.
15. How does Miri feel at the academy?
(a) Happy to be learning.
(b) Isolated from the other girls.
(c) Depressed because she misses her dog.
(d) Excited at the new friends she is making.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Miri been friends with Peder Doterson?
2. What word makes Miri exchange the book she is reading for another book?
3. Where does Miri continue practicing reading?
4. When will the prince choose his bride?
5. What does Olana claim about the cottage in a picture she shows the girls?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)