|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
(d) Heavy taxation.
2. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli suddenly out of a job?
(a) He has had a long illness.
(b) He insulted Prince Lorenzo de Medici.
(c) He has taken too much time off.
(d) He has been working for the government overthrown by the Medici.
3. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
(a) Experience and his personal need.
(b) Experience and his ability as a writer.
(c) Experience and the absence of flattery.
(d) Experience and his low-born status.
4. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
(a) Being at the right place and in the right time.
(b) A person's innate ability.
(c) The intervention of God.
(d) The will of the people.
5. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
(a) Beheading anyone who opposed him.
(b) Defeating the Carthiginians.
(c) Assembling the Senate to confer and then having them all killed.
(d) Getting the poor people to support him against the aristocracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
2. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
3. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
4. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
5. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
2. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
3. Explain why Machiavelli does not speak about Republics in THE PRINCE.
4. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
5. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
6. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
7. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
8. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
9. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
10. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)