|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
(b) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
(c) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
(d) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
2. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(b) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
(c) He can get away with having more vices.
(d) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
3. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
(a) There is no histroy of Moses outside of the Jewish holy writings.
(b) There was something in Moses, some ability that made him worthy to speak with God.
(c) Moses never actually established himself as a leader.
(d) Instead of ruling the Egyptians after defeating them, he left.
4. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
(a) They will retreat because they cannot afford a long seige.
(b) They will retreat because they are cold outside the walls of the city.
(c) They will retreat because the fortified city makes them believe there are other armies in the field.
(d) They will retreat because they do not have enough supplies to feed themselves.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(b) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(c) The Holy Roman Empire.
(d) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
2. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
3. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
4. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
5. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
2. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
3. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
4. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
5. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
6. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
7. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
8. If a hereditary prince loses his dominion in war, will he be able to regain his former position? Explain.
9. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
10. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)