Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted to become a prince.
(b) He wanted to become a famous author.
(c) He wanted to start a revolution.
(d) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
2. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
(a) He will have their support because all they want is not to be oppresed.
(b) The nobles will always see this as a good sign and cooperate with the prince.
(c) The people will see the prince change them in many ways.
(d) He will be unable to ignore the wishes of the nobles.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(b) Declare many holidays.
(c) Keep the old system in place.
(d) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
4. Why does Machiavelli insist that hereditary princedoms are more easily maintained?
(a) The prince has more power than a republic.
(b) All people everywhere actually prefer a prince.
(c) The people are already familiar with that form of government.
(d) The prince changes things often at his own whim.
5. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He tried all methods of government himself.
(b) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(c) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
(d) He relied on his own intuitions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
3. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
4. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
5. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
2. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
3. Describe Machiavelli's position on fortresses.
4. Explain Machiavelli's views on rewards and punishments.
5. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
6. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
7. Describe the two main reasons that a prince may be secure one day and lose his dominion the next.
8. How does Machiavelli suggest a prince can be cruel and still be respected?
9. What does Machiavelli mean when he says that dominions are obtained by either good Fortune or merit?
10. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)