|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
(a) If the new Prince leaves the old rulers in place.
(b) If the people like the new food introduced into the dominion.
(c) If the people have never been ruled before.
(d) If the people speak the same language.
2. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
(b) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
(c) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(d) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
3. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
(a) One that comes from political intrigue.
(b) One that is an entirely new settlement.
(c) One that kills all the citizens of the old regime.
(d) One that does not come from a long line of ruling ancestors.
4. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
(b) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
(c) His face is on their coins.
(d) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
5. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
(b) He wanted to become a famous author.
(c) He wanted to become a prince.
(d) He wanted to start a revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Citing Moses, Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus, what distinction does Machiavelli make about Moses?
2. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
3. How do the Medici come to power?
4. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
5. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
2. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
3. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
4. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
5. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
6. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
7. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
8. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
9. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
10. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)