|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
(b) He can get away with having more vices.
(c) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(d) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
2. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
(a) Have a good plan to escape if attacked.
(b) Make sure his city is well fortified.
(c) Negotiate diplomatically with any potential enemies.
(d) Post lookouts in the countryside.
3. How can a prince deal with the people when they see their lands burning outside the city walls?
(a) He can make them believe it is all just an illusion.
(b) He can tell them about the cruelties of the enemy if they are captured.
(c) He can issue food stamps.
(d) He can tell them it is not as bad as it looks from inside the city walls.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(b) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(c) Keep the old system in place.
(d) Declare many holidays.
5. The next best way to rule a new territory, according to Machiavelli, is to establish a colony. Why?
(a) The conquered people get lots of land and plenty to eat.
(b) The people can now take justice into their own hands.
(c) The people who have been harmed can take revenge easily.
(d) The only people really annoyed will be those who have lost their land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
2. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
3. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
4. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
5. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cesare Borgia hold onto power in Romagna?
2. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
3. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
4. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
5. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
6. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
7. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
8. Describe the weakness Machiavelli sees with using mercenaries as the primary military strength of the prince.
9. Explain how Machiavelli sees the importance of sound laws and a sound military.
10. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)