|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli put forward as an example of a King who made all the mistakes in ruling a new territory?
(a) Duke Lodovico.
(b) Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
(c) Charles I of Spain.
(d) Louis XII of France.
2. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
(a) They knew what they wanted and made a plan to get it.
(b) They refused to resort to political assassination.
(c) They got their positions from other princes.
(d) They were both Italians.
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
(b) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(c) The new Prince should raise taxes.
(d) The new Prince should live there.
4. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(b) None existed at that time.
(c) He called democracy by another name.
(d) He considered them inferior.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the weakness of a mercenary military?
(a) It is only useful during times of war.
(b) It works only for pay and may defect to the opposition or simply run away.
(c) It is difficult to replace members who decide to return to their homes.
(d) It is too expensive to keep up during peace times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
3. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
4. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
5. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Machiavelli does not speak about Republics in THE PRINCE.
2. What are the difficulties new princes face when setting up a new government?
3. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
4. Explain the customary way to seek the favor and audience of a prince.
5. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
6. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
7. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
8. Briefly write down how Machiavelli describes Agathocles of Sicily.
9. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
10. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)