|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say his desire is for Prince Lorenzo?
(a) That he sets up a completely new form of government.
(b) That he not become a tyrant.
(c) That he recognizes Machiavelli's genius.
(d) That he attain all the merits he deserves.
2. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
(a) He studied the outstanding rulers of the past.
(b) He relied on his own intuitions.
(c) He tried all methods of government himself.
(d) He formed a college to study the various ideas.
3. How does Machiavelli say that those who help a prince obtain a new princedom may turn against him?
(a) By not receiving what was promised to them.
(b) By becoming jealous of his new power.
(c) By deciding that they do not need the prince.
(d) By going elsewhere to fight new battles.
4. After Alexander VI, how did the Pope continue to strengthen the Church's position?
(a) By selling ecclesiastical offices and annexing land.
(b) By gaining more popularity among the Italians.
(c) By putting monasteries in new dominions.
(d) By military invasions of other dominions.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Using his army to gain more territory.
(b) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
(c) Outrageous vices.
(d) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Machiavelli prizes most of his possessions?
2. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
3. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
2. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
3. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
4. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
5. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
6. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
7. Describe the factors that may make it easier for a new prince to rule.
8. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
9. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
10. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)