|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They learned how to retain a possession.
(b) They lost the new territories.
(c) They changed their own forms of government.
(d) They held them for a thousand years.
2. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through democratic elections.
(b) Through Fortune or Ability.
(c) Through Ability or Accident.
(d) Through War and Pestilence.
3. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
(a) He states that political assassination is not cruelty.
(b) He suggests that there is a proper use of cruelty.
(c) He believes that cruelty must continue to be successful.
(d) He says any use of cruelty cannot be justified.
4. How can a common citizen rise to political power?
(a) By popular election.
(b) With a lot of money behind him.
(c) Through the help of friends.
(d) As a compromise between two parties.
5. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) A dovetailing of more and more change.
(b) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
(c) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
(d) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
2. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
3. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
4. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
5. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli maintain that it is not possible for a prince to embody only good qualities?
2. How does Machiavelli say a prince should be like a fox and a lion?
3. Discuss Machiavelli's discourse on flattery.
4. Briefly write down how Machiavelli describes Agathocles of Sicily.
5. Describe the conditions that made it possible for Moses, Romulus, Cyrus, and Theseus to be successful in uniting their people.
6. What is the difference between a principality established by the nobles and one set up by the commoners?
7. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
8. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
9. Outline Machiavelli's position of honesty in a prince.
10. Explain how Machiavelli sees the times right for major change in Italy.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)