|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the event that the prince cannot afford a large army, what should he do?
(a) Negotiate diplomatically with any potential enemies.
(b) Post lookouts in the countryside.
(c) Make sure his city is well fortified.
(d) Have a good plan to escape if attacked.
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who had the support of his people and was able to withstand invasion?
(a) Cesar Borgia of Romagna.
(b) Nabis, Prince of Sparta.
(c) Gracci of Rome.
(d) Giorgio Scalli of Florence.
3. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(c) Absolute monarchy.
4. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
(a) Easily maintained.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
(b) Using his army to gain more territory.
(c) Outrageous vices.
(d) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
2. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
3. What factor does Machiavelli suggest makes it easier to rule a new territory?
4. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
5. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell how Machiavelli suggests it is easiest to control a conquered state.
2. Why is it easier to rule a princedom than it is to govern a state or republic?
3. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
4. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
5. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
6. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
7. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
8. At the time Machiavelli is writing, he recognizes only two types of existing government. Explain each.
9. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
10. How does Machiavelli distinguish between proper and improper use of cruelty?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)