|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
(a) Wars fought between the Colonna, the Orsini and the Pope.
(b) The threat of invasion by France.
(c) The separation of Church and State.
(d) The commercial power of the Venetians.
2. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
(a) Because his cruelty continued after he came to power.
(b) Beause he did not plan what to do after he became prince.
(c) Because he came from humble beginnings.
(d) Because he was not successful in gaining control of Sicily.
3. Does Machiavelli suggest that rising to power through cruelty is always wrong?
(a) He believes that cruelty must continue to be successful.
(b) He suggests that there is a proper use of cruelty.
(c) He states that political assassination is not cruelty.
(d) He says any use of cruelty cannot be justified.
4. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(b) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
(c) His face is on their coins.
(d) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
5. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(c) It is impossible.
(d) With great difficulty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
2. What is the irony of the death of Oliverotto of Fermo who came to power by assembling all the leaders for a dinner and then killing them all?
3. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
5. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
2. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
3. Explain how Machiavelli says Cesare Borgia came to power.
4. Explain how, according to Machiavelli, Alexander the Great was able to establish a government in Persia that lasted long after his untimely death.
5. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
6. Why should a new prince not set up a system of magistrates from among the people?
7. How does Machiavelli explain a man of his common social standing being qualified to advise a prince?
8. Discuss the Duke of Ferrara as a prince who regained his prominence after a period of time.
9. What makes the instability of the Orsini and Cologna a constant struggle.
10. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)