|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
(a) He is giving the highest examples from history.
(b) He will talk only about princes he has known personally.
(c) He is the only man who knows the facts he is about to reveal.
(d) He is citing his own experience as a new prince.
2. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(c) More and more innovation.
(d) Disdain for the past.
3. What does Machiavelli say about skilled mercenary captains?
(a) They cannot be trusted.
(b) They are too expensive.
(c) They will only take orders from the prince.
(d) They are hard to find.
4. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) Free elections.
(d) The arms of others.
5. After gaining dominions by merit, how does Machiavelli say a prince can hold his new territories?
(c) With great difficulty.
(d) It is impossible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
2. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
3. Before Pope Alexander VI, what prevented the Church from gaining even more power?
4. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
5. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
Short Essay Questions
1. What value does Machiavelli put on his gift to Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
2. What are the two types of princedoms as identified by Machiavelli?
3. Define the problems of a State that is ruled by a king and the nobility.
4. Explain why Machiavelli believes a newly conquered territory is harder to govern than a hereditary dominion.
5. How are Ecclesiastical dominions so easily maintained?
6. To what does Machiavelli ascribe his present circumstances as he writes the book?
7. What advantage does the hereditary prince have in maintaining his dominion?
8. Describe the reasons Machiavelli says the German cities are so secure.
9. Explain how Machiavelli sees the importance of sound laws and a sound military.
10. How does a prince maintain control inside a sieged city when the citizens see their homes and farms being burned outside the city?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)