|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
(a) He wanted Prince Lorenzo de Medici to employ him.
(b) He wanted to start a revolution.
(c) He wanted to become a prince.
(d) He wanted to become a famous author.
2. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
(a) King Louis VII.
(b) Remiro d'Orco.
(c) Charles VIII of France.
(d) Cesare Borgia.
3. Machiavelli says that tensions between the nobles and commoners may result in a principality, a republic, or what other condition?
(d) Heavy taxation.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest is the best solution for governing a new territory?
(a) The new Prince should go away and let the people have self-rule.
(b) The new Prince should live there.
(c) The new Prince should kill his own military commanders.
(d) The new Prince should raise taxes.
5. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(b) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(c) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(d) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
6. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
(a) They made them all Roman citizens with new priviliges.
(b) They moved the Roman capital to Carthage.
(c) They destroyed them and set up their own system of government.
(d) They allowed them to select government officials from their own citizens.
7. What one thing does Machiavelli insist that every prince needs?
(a) Deep pockets.
(b) To read his book.
(c) The good will of the people.
(d) A strong military.
8. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Genoa.
(b) The Duke of Milan.
(c) The Duke of Ferrara.
(d) The Duke of Earle.
9. Ending his discussion of Ecclesiastical Dominions, why is Machiavelli so circumspect about the current Pope?
(a) Pope Leo is the uncle of Lorenzo de Medici.
(b) Pope Leo does not support the Medici.
(c) Pope Leo might give Machiavelli a job.
(d) Pope Leo fears Niccolo Machiavelli.
10. What type of principality does Machiavelli claim may be kept without talent or fortune?
(c) Absolute monarchy.
11. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
(a) He gave d'Orco the power to kill anyone who opposed him.
(b) He retired d'Orco and gave him a lifetime pension.
(c) He executed d'Orco to make the people love and trust him.
(d) He told the people that d'Orco was acting on his orders.
12. Why does Machiavelli not use Agathocles as an example of meritorious rise to power?
(a) Because he was not successful in gaining control of Sicily.
(b) Beause he did not plan what to do after he became prince.
(c) Because he came from humble beginnings.
(d) Because his cruelty continued after he came to power.
13. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
14. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
(a) Getting the poor people to support him against the aristocracy.
(b) Assembling the Senate to confer and then having them all killed.
(c) Defeating the Carthiginians.
(d) Beheading anyone who opposed him.
15. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
(a) Start paying higher salaries to bureaucrats.
(b) Destroy its civil and political systems first.
(c) Declare many holidays.
(d) Keep the old system in place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
2. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
3. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
4. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
5. Prior to Charles VIII of France coming to Italy, what was the main focus of the Pope, the Venetians, the King of Naples, the Duke of Milan, and the Florentines?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)