|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
(a) The people did not understand the threats of invasion.
(b) The best people were in their militaries.
(c) All the men were drafted into the military.
(d) Their countries were controlled by the military.
2. What is the custom of Machiavelli's day in approaching a prince?
(a) Writing a petition of audience.
(b) Catching the prince outside his palace.
(c) Bringing a gift.
(d) Coming in on hands and knees.
3. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he fears the people.
(b) That he trusts his military advisors.
(c) That he is more important than the people.
(d) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
4. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(b) His face is on their coins.
(c) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
(d) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a ruler in whom his people have no confidence?
(a) Emperor Maximillian.
(b) Pope Alexander VI.
(c) King Louis of France.
(d) King Ferdinand of Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. Who was responsible for weakening the power of Colonna and Orsini, the barons of Rome?
3. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
4. Aside from humble beginnings, what does Machiavelli say that Agathocles and Oliverotto have in common?
5. Who does Machiavelli say should always be in charge of the troops in a princedom?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)