Eight Week Quiz F
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who can successfully gain the reputation for generosity but not ruin himself in the process?
(a) A prince who has unlimited resources.
(b) A prince who goes to war to create jobs for his subjects.
(c) A prince who only gives when he can expect a generous return.
(d) A prince who gives away someone else's money.
2. What is it that Machiavelli refrains from doing in his book?
(a) Giving only the facts of great leaders and how they governed.
(b) Using high sounding literary devices to make the work seem more important.
(c) Using language of respect that is usually spoken before a prince.
(d) Making everything brief in his writing so that main points are missed.
3. Which statement is true according to Machiavelli?
(a) Men care more about offending those they love than those they fear.
(b) It is better to be feared than loved.
(c) Men are more likely to break a promise made in fear.
(d) A prince should be quick to believe and quick to act.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Ferrara.
(b) The Duke of Earle.
(c) The Duke of Genoa.
(d) The Duke of Milan.
5. What Roman Emperor does Machiavelli cite as an example of being both a lion and a fox?
(a) Marc Anthony.
(b) Antonius Severus.
(c) Julius Caesar.
(d) Septimius Severus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. What is the advantage of the prince selected by the people?
3. What reasons does Machiavelli put forward to get Prince Lorenzo to read his book?
4. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
5. The cities of what country are given as good examples of fortification?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)