Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Heiro of Syracuse do when he realized his mercenary troops were worthless?
(a) He hired more mercenaries.
(b) He refused to pay them.
(c) He put them on the front lines to be killed.
(d) He had them cut to pieces.
2. What is Machiavelli offering the Prince Lorenzo de Medici?
(a) Means of mastering in a short time all Machiavelli has learned about governing.
(b) A large book of rules for new princes to use in governing the people.
(c) The chance to become king of all Italy.
(d) Personal introductions to great men Machiavelli knows.
3. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
(a) Phillip, father of Alexander the Great.
(b) Sparticus and the Roman slaves.
(c) The last days of the Roman Empire.
(d) Darius, King of Persia.
4. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
(a) He wrote about republics in another work.
(b) Dominions are much larger than republics.
(c) He thought dominions were much harder to keep.
(d) There were no republics in his day.
5. What does Machiavelli see as an insurmountable chasm?
(a) The understanding of the people versus the understanding of the prince.
(b) The difference between the very rich and the very poor.
(c) Idealism and Christian philosophy of living.
(d) The reality of the way we live versus the ideas of how we ought to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the motivation for Machiavelli to write THE PRINCE?
2. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
3. What was Machiavelli's method for learning political government?
4. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
5. How does Machiavelli say Agathocles became Prince of Syracuse?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)