|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Learn quickly.
(b) Hand out money.
(c) Read his book.
(d) Build a new palace.
2. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(b) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(c) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(d) The people did not care who ruled them.
3. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(b) He would lose all popularity with the people.
(c) It would be easy to get it back.
(d) The people would forget all about him.
4. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
(a) The military head of the Orsini.
(b) King Luis XII of France.
(c) Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan.
(d) Pope Alexander IV.
5. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) He can get away with having more vices.
(b) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
(c) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(d) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
2. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
3. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
4. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
5. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)