|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
(a) Promising to lower taxes.
(b) Holding many public meetings.
(c) Bribing the military.
(d) Making themselves popular with the people.
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(b) It would be easy to get it back.
(c) The people would forget all about him.
(d) He would lose all popularity with the people.
3. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
(b) A dovetailing of more and more change.
(c) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(d) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
4. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(b) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(c) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(d) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Outrageous vices.
(b) Using his army to gain more territory.
(c) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(d) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
2. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
3. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
4. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)