|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Outrageous vices.
(b) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(c) Using his army to gain more territory.
(d) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
2. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(b) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
(c) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(d) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
3. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
(b) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(c) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(d) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The Holy Roman Empire.
(b) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
(c) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(d) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
5. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(b) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(c) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
(d) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
2. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
3. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
4. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
5. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)