|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
(a) Pope Alexander IV.
(b) King Luis XII of France.
(c) Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan.
(d) The military head of the Orsini.
2. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
(a) Venice under the Doge.
(b) The new Kingdom of Naples.
(c) Milan under Francesco Sforza.
(d) The Kingdom of Spain.
3. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
(a) The intervention of God.
(b) A person's innate ability.
(c) Being at the right place and in the right time.
(d) The will of the people.
4. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Hand out money.
(b) Read his book.
(c) Learn quickly.
(d) Build a new palace.
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(b) More and more innovation.
(d) Disdain for the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
2. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
3. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
4. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)