|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can deprive a prince of his princedom?
(a) Disagreements within a family of hereditary rulers.
(b) Public elections.
(c) Revolution among the lowest class of subjects.
(d) Extrodinary and irresistable force.
2. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Move the subjects from place to place.
(b) Change his residence whenever he likes.
(c) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(d) Travel any time he wants.
3. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
(b) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(c) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(d) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
4. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
(a) A person's innate ability.
(b) The will of the people.
(c) Being at the right place and in the right time.
(d) The intervention of God.
5. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His bad choices of political allies.
(b) His ill health after the death of his father.
(c) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
(d) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
3. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
4. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
5. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)