|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(a) Disdain for the past.
(b) More and more innovation.
2. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
(a) Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan.
(b) The military head of the Orsini.
(c) King Luis XII of France.
(d) Pope Alexander IV.
3. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
(a) They made them all Roman citizens with new priviliges.
(b) They allowed them to select government officials from their own citizens.
(c) They destroyed them and set up their own system of government.
(d) They moved the Roman capital to Carthage.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
(a) The Duke of Genoa.
(b) The Duke of Earle.
(c) The Duke of Ferrara.
(d) The Duke of Milan.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(b) Each day being the same as the day before.
(c) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(d) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
2. What is the advantage of the sole prince as ruler?
3. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
4. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
5. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)