|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
(a) He told the people that d'Orco was acting on his orders.
(b) He executed d'Orco to make the people love and trust him.
(c) He gave d'Orco the power to kill anyone who opposed him.
(d) He retired d'Orco and gave him a lifetime pension.
2. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(b) More and more innovation.
(d) Disdain for the past.
3. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) None whatsoever.
(b) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(c) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(d) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(b) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(c) The Holy Roman Empire.
(d) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
5. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(b) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
(c) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
(d) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a prince who regained power after the opposition of the Venetians and Pope Julius?
2. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
4. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
5. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)