|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
(a) Colonization and residency.
(b) Arms and strategy.
(c) The importance of a republic.
(d) Good fortune and merit.
2. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
(b) His face is on their coins.
(c) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(d) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
3. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(b) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(c) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(d) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
4. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
(a) He can get away with having more vices.
(b) The Prince who inherited his donimion can disband his army.
(c) It is impossible for him to lose his dominion.
(d) People are accustomed to rule by that family.
5. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
(b) Move the subjects from place to place.
(c) Travel any time he wants.
(d) Change his residence whenever he likes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
2. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
3. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
4. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
5. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)