|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
(a) Growth of the dominion by annexation.
(b) Better conditions for the subjects of a dominion.
(c) Pleasure of the subjects who like to see a lot of changes.
(d) A dovetailing of more and more change.
2. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Using his army to gain more territory.
(b) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(c) Outrageous vices.
(d) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
3. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
(a) He retired d'Orco and gave him a lifetime pension.
(b) He executed d'Orco to make the people love and trust him.
(c) He told the people that d'Orco was acting on his orders.
(d) He gave d'Orco the power to kill anyone who opposed him.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) Each day being the same as the day before.
(b) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(c) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
(d) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
5. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
(a) Through Ability or Accident.
(b) Through War and Pestilence.
(c) Through Fortune or Ability.
(d) Through democratic elections.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
2. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
3. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
4. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
5. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)