|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does Machiavelli give of a conquered territory rebelling against 100 years of servitude?
(a) Egypt going to war with Sparta.
(b) Pisa arising against the Florentines.
(c) Persia throwing off the rule of Alexander the Great.
(d) Carthage getting its independence from Rome.
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) The people would forget all about him.
(b) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(c) It would be easy to get it back.
(d) He would lose all popularity with the people.
3. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
(a) State and Republic.
(b) Kingdom and City State.
(c) City State and Territory.
(d) State and Dominion.
4. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Hand out money.
(b) Read his book.
(c) Build a new palace.
(d) Learn quickly.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Outrageous vices.
(b) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
(c) Using his army to gain more territory.
(d) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
2. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
3. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
4. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
5. What characteristic of a leader can change fortune according to Machiavelli?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)