|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(b) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(c) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
(d) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
2. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
(a) Perceived weakness on the part of opponents.
(b) Something that just happens.
(c) Lack of ability to govern.
(d) Punishment of God for misdeeds.
3. How does Machiavelli say that the successors of Alexander the Great were able to retain power after his untimely death?
(a) They did not let the people know that Alexander had died.
(b) The people were so happy to be rid of Darius that they accepted anyone else.
(c) Under his system, governance was easily transferred to his appointed ministers.
(d) The people did not care who ruled them.
4. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
(a) If the prince dies the barons all lose their hereditary titles.
(b) The barons hold their titles by heredity and not by the favor of the prince, so there is less loyalty.
(c) The prince does always knows what the barons are doing in their territories.
(d) The prince becomes lazy and leaves everything up to the barons.
5. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
(a) The Holy Roman Empire.
(b) The Turk empire.
(c) The Kingdom of Spain.
(d) The Kingdom of France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
2. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
3. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
4. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
5. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)