|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(b) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(c) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(d) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
2. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He called democracy by another name.
(b) He considered them inferior.
(c) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(d) None existed at that time.
3. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(b) None whatsoever.
(c) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(d) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
4. What is Machiavelli removing from the political thinking during a time when the Roman Catholic Church was still appointing Emperors?
(a) He is removing constitutional authority.
(b) He is removing political involvement of the church.
(c) He is removing God from politics and the power equation.
(d) He is removing objections to the combination of church and state.
5. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
(a) The people tend to give more aligeance to the barrons than to the prince.
(b) The people do not understand the difference between a prince and a baron.
(c) Barons can do only what the prince orders.
(d) Barons are known for being cruel and causing trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
3. How did the Romans maintain control in Capua, Carthage, and Numantia?
4. What example does Machiavelli cite as a wholly new princedom?
5. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)