|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Machiavelli's example of rule by a sole prince?
(a) The Kingdom of France.
(b) The Holy Roman Empire.
(c) The Turk empire.
(d) The Kingdom of Spain.
2. What does Machiavelli insist about a Prince who lost his dominion by force?
(a) He would have to run for his life and never return.
(b) It would be easy to get it back.
(c) The people would forget all about him.
(d) He would lose all popularity with the people.
3. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
(a) They succeeded by adding Roman universities to the Greek educational system.
(b) They succeeded by expanding on the Spartan idea.
(c) They found it easy to get Greeks to adopt Roman ways.
(d) They failed and had to go back and destroy many cities.
4. What does Machiavelli say a new prince must do quickly after gaining a new dominion?
(a) Build a new palace.
(b) Learn quickly.
(c) Read his book.
(d) Hand out money.
5. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
(a) Colonization and residency.
(b) Arms and strategy.
(c) Good fortune and merit.
(d) The importance of a republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
2. One Princedom, according to Machiavelli, is ruled by a sole prince; the other is by a prince and his barons. What does Machiavelli see as a weakness of the latter?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest is the surest way to govern a conquered territory?
4. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
5. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)