|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(b) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
(c) His face is on their coins.
(d) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
2. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He called democracy by another name.
(b) None existed at that time.
(c) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(d) He considered them inferior.
3. What powerful force does Machiavelli say can efface innovations in government?
(b) More and more innovation.
(d) Disdain for the past.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(b) Each day being the same as the day before.
(c) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(d) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
5. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
(a) There were no republics in his day.
(b) He wrote about republics in another work.
(c) He thought dominions were much harder to keep.
(d) Dominions are much larger than republics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli define a new princedom or dominion?
2. Cesare Borgia was helped in his drive for power by his father. Who was he?
3. What themes does Machiavelli introduce in Chapter One?
4. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
5. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)