|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Cesare Borgia's greatest mistake according to Machiavelli?
(a) Failure to get medical attention soon enough.
(b) Helping the Spanish cardinals elect a Spanish Pope.
(c) Allowing the election of Pope Julius II.
(d) Distancing himself from the French court.
2. What role does morality play in keeping a dominion safe according to Machiavelli?
(a) Everything. The Prince must be ruled by God.
(b) None whatsoever.
(c) It is only necessary for hereditary Princedoms.
(d) Only a little. People barely notice such things.
3. What form of government comes from a long line of ancestors?
(a) Princedoms formed by warring factions.
(b) New princedoms.
(c) An elected dynasty.
(d) A hereditary princedom.
4. Why does Machiavelli say a hereditary prince is usually more loved by his subjects?
(a) His face is on their coins.
(b) He allows the people to do exactly as they please.
(c) He has less of a chance of giving offense.
(d) He goes to school with the children of the princedom.
5. In THE PRINCE, why does Machiavelli deal only with dominions and not republics?
(a) Dominions are much larger than republics.
(b) There were no republics in his day.
(c) He wrote about republics in another work.
(d) He thought dominions were much harder to keep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
3. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
4. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
5. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)