|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli say was the real cause of Cesare Borgia's ultimate failure?
(a) His opposition from the new Pope after the death of Alexander IV.
(b) His bad choices of political allies.
(c) His lack of knowledge of what to do after his father's death.
(d) His ill health after the death of his father.
2. Why does Machiavelli not discuss democracies?
(a) He rejected the idea outright as a madness of the Greeks.
(b) None existed at that time.
(c) He called democracy by another name.
(d) He considered them inferior.
3. What does Machiavelli say will be an advantage to a prince who lost his dominion by force of arms?
(a) The money he was able to stash away before being invaded.
(b) The sympathy of the surrounding dominions.
(c) A mishap on the part of the new government.
(d) The tendency of new governments to rely heavily on hereditary princes.
4. What does say the sole prince can do that the prince with barons cannot?
(a) Move the subjects from place to place.
(b) Travel any time he wants.
(c) Change his residence whenever he likes.
(d) Shift the rulers of territories at his discretion.
5. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
(a) A brilliant and vocal Prince.
(b) Each day being the same as the day before.
(c) A Prince who knows how to keep the people in line by force.
(d) A Prince who knows how to hide his bad habits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
2. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
3. What happened when Rome tried to use the same methods the Spartans had used with Greece?
4. What advantage does Machiavelli point out for Princes who rule hereditary dominions?
5. What does Machiavelli see as the problem with barons?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)