|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Machiavelli say a prince can make himself feared without making himself hated?
(a) By giving pardons to criminals.
(b) By leaving people's property alone.
(c) By taking the women away.
(d) By hanging only unpopular criminals.
2. In acquiring a new dominion, if the prince does not use the force of his own arms, what alternative does Machiavelli suggest?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) The arms of others.
(c) Free elections.
(d) Appeals to the Pope of Rome.
3. Why is a reputation for cruelty necessary for a prince?
(a) To defend himself from mercenaries.
(b) To show his tough love.
(c) To maintain control of his army.
(d) To keep people from asking too much.
4. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
(a) Outrageous vices.
(b) Staying away from the princedom for long periods of time.
(c) Using his army to gain more territory.
(d) Never changing the way they are accustomed to being ruled.
5. Why does Machiavelli say that the sultans of Turkey and Egypt had to listen more to the military than to the people?
(a) The people did not understand the threats of invasion.
(b) All the men were drafted into the military.
(c) Their countries were controlled by the military.
(d) The best people were in their militaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
2. If a city is well fortified against attack, what will cause the enemy to retreat?
3. How does Machiavelli think New Dominions were formed?
4. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
5. Aside from granting favors to his subjects during a siege, what does Machiavelli suggest a wise prince might do?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)