|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the results of Sparta setting up oligarchies in Athens and Thebes after they conquered them?
(a) They learned how to retain a possession.
(b) They changed their own forms of government.
(c) They lost the new territories.
(d) They held them for a thousand years.
2. What is the Renaissance Italian's view of political misfortune?
(a) Perceived weakness on the part of opponents.
(b) Punishment of God for misdeeds.
(c) Lack of ability to govern.
(d) Something that just happens.
3. Why is setting up a system of government using conquered citizens effective?
(a) They do not have to make friends of the new prince.
(b) They see that everything will be exactly like their old government.
(c) They see they cannot survive without the protection and support of the conquering prince.
(d) They do not have to pay tribute to the new prince.
4. What example does Machiavelli give of a dominion that is a limb of a larger one?
(a) The King of Naples as part of the dominions of Spain.
(b) The Prince of Venice as part of the dominions of France.
(c) The Medici as part of the Borgia dominions.
(d) The Holy Roman Empire.
5. Machiavelli says some new princes may gain their new states either in exchange for money or as a favor. What other means does he point out for gaining a state?
(a) Promising to lower taxes.
(b) Holding many public meetings.
(c) Bribing the military.
(d) Making themselves popular with the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of government identified by Machiavelli?
2. What does Machiavelli see as an inevitable result of changes in government?
3. Machiavelli gives the example of how Cesare Borgia used Minister Remiro d'Orco in his plan to rule Romagna. After d'Orco brought the territory under control, what does Machiavelli say Cesare Borgia did to get the loyalty of the people?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest makes for peace in a dominion?
5. What does Machiavelli suggest may make a hereditary ruler unpopular with his people?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)