One Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A prince who has acquired a new dominion added to his own should disarm the conquered people. Why?
(a) The arms should be in the control of his own military.
(b) It shows the new subjects that they are safe.
(c) The new subjects will feel that the miliary will protect them.
(d) He only needs the arms to add to his arsenal.
2. Those who were viewed with suspicion at the beginning of a princedom usually become the most loyal subjects. Why?
(a) The prince was a poor judge of character in the beginning.
(b) They work hard to gain the approval of the prince.
(c) The prince will use them for unpopular tasks.
(d) They never did anything to cause distrust in the first place.
3. What Biblical example does Machiavelli use to show that someone else's arms are useless?
(a) Samson and Delilah.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Caleb and Joshua.
(d) Egypt and Syria.
4. What does Machiavelli say was the reason for successes by Cyrus, Romulus, and Theseus?
(a) It had nothing to do with fortune, but was because of their own talents.
(b) Like Moses, they could talk with God.
(c) They did not understand the thinking of the people.
(d) They were standing in the right place at the right time.
5. What message does a prince give his subjects if he builds a fortress for himself?
(a) That he trusts his military advisors.
(b) That he is more important than the people.
(c) That he fears the people.
(d) That he will always be ready to defend the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli say that Prince Lorenzo should not be surprised at what he is saying about new princedoms?
2. Why does Machiavelli say that auxiliary forces are more dangerous than mercenaries?
3. Why should a prince keep down factions in his princedom?
4. How does Machiavelli describe the temper (mindset) of the public?
5. What historical example does Machiavelli give to show how a military should be organized?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)