|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom is determined to discover ____________.
2. How many children do Tom and his wife have?
3. How do Savannah and Tom feel about their father during their teenage years?
4. How would you characterize Tom's initial behavior towards Dr. Lowenstein?
5. How does the Wingo family react to the last still born, Rose Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
2. How does Tom explain the recording of Savannah's psychotic seizure?
3. Why does Tom feel Grandma Tolitha returns to Grandpa Wingo?
4. How does Dr. Lowenstein perceive Lila in Chapter Six?
5. How does Lila react to Henry's buying a tiger?
6. What does Luke pray for before his father leaves for Korea?
7. Why doesn't Lila want the children to tell their father about the man called "Callanwolde"?
8. Why does Tom feel the fallow deer are out of place in the Central Park Zoo?
9. How do the Wingo children get revenge on the Newburys?
10. What is the topic of Savannah's poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dramatic irony of Dr. Lowenstein's personal circumstances while treating Savannah. How is her own marriage and family an ironic counterpoint to the narrative Tom is sharing with her about his family?
Essay Topic 2
In the final image of the novel, we see the Wingo family (minus Luke) reunited on a shrimping boat, much as they were in the novel's opening. Do you think the Wingo family has overcome its traumatic past and finally begun to heal?
Write a persuasive essay that develops your point of view on this topic. Be sure to use specific and sound reasoning from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Trace the use and significance of religion in the novel. Write a thematic essay in which you develop the author's attitude or reason for using religion in his story. Be sure to discuss at least two specific moments when religion plays an explicit part in the novel to develop your thesis.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)