Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What transformation occurs in Henry when he is on his shrimping boat?
2. Which of the following events does NOT transpire when Tom visits Savannah's apartment?
3. How would you characterize Tom's initial behavior towards Dr. Lowenstein?
4. What is the name of the school Bernard attends?
5. Which of the following events does NOT happen during the family picnic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the new black student's ability to beat Tom in a race?
2. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
3. What does Tom realize after reading the first page of Renata's book?
4. What is the symbolism of Luke's solitary war with the government?
5. Why is Tom jealous of Savannah in Chapter 18?
6. Why does Henry help "The Amberjack"?
7. What plans do the Wingo children have after graduation?
8. Who is the Prince of Tides?
9. How does Lila react to the news of Tom's actions against Todd?
10. What is different, according to Susan, about the way Bernard interacts with Tom and his father?
Essay Topic 1
The game of football plays a major role in the lives and events of several characters throughout the novel. Discuss the role of football in the novel. What part does it play in the text? Be sure to examine at least three different accounts of football from the narrative as you develop your thesis about the significance of this sport in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
A major motif throughout the novel is the pattern of hiding. Many of the characters are consciously or unconsciously hiding something about themselves, about their pasts, or about their family. As the novel progresses, each of these characters is given the opportunity to reveal the truth that he or she has been hiding or to conceal it further.
Choose ONE of the following characters and discuss how he or she participates in this motif. What is the character hiding? Is the concealment intentional or accidental? Does the character ever reveal this truth? What are the ramifications of the character's decision to disclose the secret or continue hiding it?
Essay Topic 3
Located off the coast of South Carolina, Melrose Island is the backdrop for much of Tom's story. Discuss the significance of this primary setting in the novel. What importance does it hold for the various characters in the novel? What larger ideas does Melrose Island represent? Be sure to develop your response with explicit and implicit evidence from the text.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)