|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you describe the tone of Dr. Lowenstein when she refers to Tom as "Tom Wingo of South Carolina"?
2. What is it about Henry Wingo that is difficult for Tom to reconcile?
3. What does Tom say that Grandmother Tolitha did immediately following Papa John's death?
4. What is the name of Tom's sister?
5. Chapter Two flashes back to the 1970s when Tom is a _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom admit to hating both men and women equally?
2. Why does Henry covert to Catholicism?
3. What is one of the benefits of Tom's extraordinary childhood?
4. How does Lila react to Henry's buying a tiger?
5. How does the scene in the funeral parlor contrast with the rest of the Wingo childhood?
6. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
7. How does Tom explain the recording of Savannah's psychotic seizure?
8. How has coaching Bernard helped Tom?
9. How do the Wingo children get revenge on the Newburys?
10. Why does Tom feel Grandma Tolitha returns to Grandpa Wingo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dramatic irony of Dr. Lowenstein's personal circumstances while treating Savannah. How is her own marriage and family an ironic counterpoint to the narrative Tom is sharing with her about his family?
Essay Topic 2
Tom says that growing up as a Wingo taught him to survive. Savannah tends to disagree. Of the three Wingo children, which emerges the strongest? Whose character and psyche survive the trials and traumas of this dysfunctional family? Support your position with clear and logical evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Located off the coast of South Carolina, Melrose Island is the backdrop for much of Tom's story. Discuss the significance of this primary setting in the novel. What importance does it hold for the various characters in the novel? What larger ideas does Melrose Island represent? Be sure to develop your response with explicit and implicit evidence from the text.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)