|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom is ashamed that he will be the only boy at the dance dressed in __________.
(d) Dress pants.
2. How does Herbert Woodruff speak to Tom at the dinner party?
(a) With warmth and hospitality.
(b) With disinterest and apathy.
(c) With contempt and bitterness.
(d) With cruel sarcasm.
3. Who is Benji Washington?
(a) A good friend of Tom Wingo.
(b) A black student in Colleton High School.
(c) A transient man who stalks Lila Wingo.
(d) A football team lineman at Colleton High School.
4. What is the name of the poem Savannah reads at Luke's funeral?
(a) The Prince of Tides.
(b) The Southern Way.
(c) The Island of Wonder.
(d) The Aging Glory.
5. After Tom confronts her in Chapter Twenty, what does Susan then accuse Tom of doing?
(a) Not telling her everything he could about Savannah.
(b) Not giving Susan all the details of his wife's affair.
(c) Not allowing Bernard to be the boy he wants to be.
(d) Not being honest with Susan about his attraction to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is awarded all the belongings of the Wingo family?
2. What does Henry conclude about his family during their graduation party in Chapter Two?
3. Why doesn't Savannah go to New York after graduation as she originally planned?
4. What does Luke blow up?
5. What does Tom tell Lila he has decided to tell Dr. Lowenstein?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tom shy in the locker room at South Carolina University?
2. What might the appearance of Snow symbolize?
3. What is the symbolism of Luke's solitary war with the government?
4. Why does Tom continue searching through Savannah's apartment?
5. What is different, according to Susan, about the way Bernard interacts with Tom and his father?
6. What is happening to the relationship between Susan and Tom during Chapter Fifteen?
7. What plans do the Wingo children have after graduation?
8. Why does Tom get in a fight in Chapter 17?
9. What feelings do the townspeople have toward Amos?
10. What does Tom recognize as he has dinner with his mother?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)