|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Grandpa Amos talk to while driving?
2. Why do Tom and Savannah get in a fight near the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Tom says the word "nigger."
(b) Tom makes fun of Grandpa Wingo praying.
(c) Tom steals her journal.
(d) Tom refuses to give a nickel to a man begging for change.
3. What does Lila ask Tom to do for her before Mrs. Newbury's death?
(a) Testify for her at the divorce hearings.
(b) Pack her clothes at Melrose Island.
(c) Protect Luke from hurting himself.
(d) Get rid of Henry's belongings.
4. Whose photo does Tom find in Savannah's apartment?
(a) Renata Halpern.
(b) Lila Wingo.
(c) Amos and Tolitha Wingo.
(d) Tom and Savannah.
5. Why doesn't Susan want to call the sheriff after the family is attacked in Chapter Twenty-Two?
(a) She is unconscious.
(b) She is unable to speak.
(c) She is too injured.
(d) She is too ashamed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Luke found?
2. Where does Luke go after the war?
3. What does Henry conclude about his family during their graduation party in Chapter Two?
4. What does Luke name his boat?
5. What is the name of Renata Halpern's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom realize after reading the first page of Renata's book?
2. How does the town react to "The Amberjack's" presence?
3. What admission does Susan make that startles Tom over dinner?
4. Why does Susan insist that Savannah wants to become the persona called Renata?
5. Why does Tom find the map on Reese Newbury's wall disconcerting?
6. What is the symbolism of Luke's solitary war with the government?
7. What is happening to the relationship between Susan and Tom during Chapter Fifteen?
8. Why does Tom get in a fight in Chapter 17?
9. Why is it ironic that Oscar Woodhead hoists Benji on his shoulders after Colleton beats North Charleston?
10. What does Henry's visit to Tom in this chapter reveal about Henry's character?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)