|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Savannah go to New York after graduation as she originally planned?
(a) Her allegiance to her family.
(b) Her suicide attempt.
(c) Her fear of the city.
(d) Her lack of finances.
2. Tom wonders why Susan told him she thought her husband _________________.
(a) Was abused as a child.
(b) Was having an affair.
(c) Was not a good father to Bernard.
(d) Was possibly homosexual.
3. After learning the truth about Renata in Chapter Twenty, Tom challenges Susan for ______________.
(a) Deceiving him about Savannah's condition.
(b) Supporting the publication of "The Southern Way."
(c) Helping Savannah become someone else.
(d) Lying to his mother about Savannah's mental state.
4. What is the name of Renata Halpern's book?
(a) The Southern Way.
(b) The Gourmet.
(c) Life in Dixieland.
(d) The Prince of Tides.
5. How does Herbert Woodruff speak to Tom at the dinner party?
(a) With cruel sarcasm.
(b) With contempt and bitterness.
(c) With disinterest and apathy.
(d) With warmth and hospitality.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom feel about the day they retrieved the stolen cargo from "The Amberjack"?
2. How does Tom feel heading into the fight?
3. What does Henry conclude about his family during their graduation party in Chapter Two?
4. How does Amos get his license back?
5. In Chapter Twenty-One, how does Lila try to distract Tom from his intentions to tell the doctor the truth about what happened to the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the new black student's ability to beat Tom in a race?
2. What is the symbolism of Luke's solitary war with the government?
3. How does Tom ironically avenge Herbert's rude behavior?
4. Why does Tom decide to tell Dr. Lowenstein about the fateful day on the island?
5. How does the town react to "The Amberjack's" presence?
6. What admission does Susan make that startles Tom over dinner?
7. Why does Tom agree to help find Luke?
8. What does Tom suspect about Amos' Good Friday walk?
9. What feelings do the townspeople have toward Amos?
10. What is happening to the relationship between Susan and Tom during Chapter Fifteen?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)