|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sallie unable to answer Tom over the phone?
(a) The children can hear the conversation.
(b) Her lover is at the front door.
(c) She no longer feels the same way about Tom.
(d) Her affair with the doctor has become too complicated.
2. Why does Lila insist that Tom remain silent about the past?
(a) Because Tom's wife should hear the story first.
(b) Because the doctor will not understand.
(c) Because Savannah will write about it.
(d) Because Luke will be crushed by the news.
3. What event in Tom's life occurs in 1971?
(a) Luke is arrested.
(b) Henry is imprisoned.
(c) Jennifer is born.
(d) Savannah is sent to Bellevue.
4. Where has "The Amberjack" gone after making its capture?
(c) New York City.
(d) South Carolina.
5. What does Lila give Savannah as a graduation present?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A gold pen.
(c) An empty journal.
(d) A bottle of perfume.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke name his boat?
2. In Chapter Twenty-Two, what does Luke say he plans to do with his life after graduation?
3. How does Herbert Woodruff speak to Tom at the dinner party?
4. Why does Lila invite Tom to dinner?
5. How does Tom feel heading into the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could you characterize Luke's experiences in Vietnam?
2. What does Henry's visit to Tom in this chapter reveal about Henry's character?
3. Why does Tom decide to tell Dr. Lowenstein about the fateful day on the island?
4. What does Tom recognize as he has dinner with his mother?
5. Why does Tom agree to help find Luke?
6. What does Tom realize after reading the first page of Renata's book?
7. Why does Tom continue searching through Savannah's apartment?
8. What admission does Susan make that startles Tom over dinner?
9. Why does Susan insist that Savannah wants to become the persona called Renata?
10. What is significant about the new black student's ability to beat Tom in a race?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)