|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom read to better understand Savannah's psychosis?
(a) Medical journals.
(b) Lila's family history.
(c) Savannah's journal.
(d) Case histories.
2. What does Tolitha do every Good Friday?
(a) She joins her husband in his rituals.
(b) She gets drunk in her room.
(c) She goes to church and prays.
(d) She leaves town to visit family.
3. After Susan expresses her desire for Tom at the end of Chapter Fifteen, how does the evening end for these two characters?
(a) Tom and Susan sleep together.
(b) Tom leaves hastily with Susan on the terrace.
(c) Susan warns Tom that their relationship is getting too intimate.
(d) Tom breaks down in tears from missing his wife.
4. In Chapter Twenty-Two, what does Luke say he plans to do with his life after graduation?
(a) Move to New York City and open his own business.
(b) Leave Melrose Island and head to California.
(c) Go to college on a football scholarship.
(d) Be a shrimper like his father.
5. Who hatches a plan to rescue "The Amberjack's" cargo?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry conclude about his family during their graduation party in Chapter Two?
2. What does Luke blow up?
3. Why does the Sheriff take Amos' drivers license?
4. What does Luke name his boat?
5. Who does Grandpa Amos talk to while driving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Luke's solitary war with the government?
2. What does Tom admit is even worse than the story of his family's attack?
3. What does Tom suspect about Amos' Good Friday walk?
4. Why is it ironic that Oscar Woodhead hoists Benji on his shoulders after Colleton beats North Charleston?
5. Why does Tom get in a fight in Chapter 17?
6. What feelings do the townspeople have toward Amos?
7. Why is Tom jealous of Savannah in Chapter 18?
8. Why is Lila bitter about Tom's decision?
9. What is significant about the new black student's ability to beat Tom in a race?
10. What does Tom recognize as he has dinner with his mother?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)