|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry in jail?
(a) He tries to make money by smuggling drugs.
(b) He tries to kill Luke.
(c) He beats Lila.
(d) He fires a gun at a soldier.
2. How does Tom feel heading into the fight?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is confident.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is indifferent.
3. Where has "The Amberjack" gone after making its capture?
(a) South Carolina.
(c) New York City.
4. Where does Luke go after the war?
5. After discussing the issue or Renata in Chapter Twenty, Tom flashes back to a time when the three children were __________________.
(a) Hiding from their father in one of his drunken rages.
(b) Letting themselves sink to the bottom of a river.
(c) Running in a the forest called "Callanwolde".
(d) Listening to Papa John tell one of his stories,
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Susan return inside from the terrace after talking with Tom after dinner in Chapter Fifteen?
2. Who does Grandpa Amos talk to while driving?
3. Why does the football coach change his mind about integration?
4. To teach the boy respect, what does Tom make Bernard do?
5. Why does Lila insist that Tom remain silent about the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Luke's solitary war with the government?
2. What is different, according to Susan, about the way Bernard interacts with Tom and his father?
3. Why does Tom find the map on Reese Newbury's wall disconcerting?
4. What does Henry's visit to Tom in this chapter reveal about Henry's character?
5. Why is Tom jealous of Savannah in Chapter 18?
6. Why is it ironic that Oscar Woodhead hoists Benji on his shoulders after Colleton beats North Charleston?
7. Why does Tom agree to help find Luke?
8. What admission does Susan make that startles Tom over dinner?
9. How could you characterize Luke's experiences in Vietnam?
10. Why does Tom get in a fight in Chapter 17?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)