|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following events does NOT happen during the family picnic?
(a) Henry spits at his daughter.
(b) Henry calls Tom a girl.
(c) Lila is violently shaken by her husband.
(d) Luke vows to pray that his father dies in Korea.
2. Which of the following characters dies during the storm?
3. Why does Henry light a candle at the statue of the Infant of Prague?
(a) For the farm woman who was beaten for feeding Henry.
(b) For the Swiss family whose house was destroyed for haboring Henry.
(c) For the old priest who was hung for helping Henry.
(d) For his family, whom Henry misses very much.
4. How many children do Tom and his wife have?
5. What does Tom do while waiting for Bernard in Central Park?
(a) He takes off his wedding ring and stares at it.
(b) He observes the animals in their cages at the zoo.
(c) He sits on a bench and recalls a memory with Savannah.
(d) He watches children playing by the fountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tom's wife?
2. What does Tom promise to tell Dr. Lowenstein during dinner?
3. What news do Tom and his family discover in Chapter One?
4. Which of the following images from the Prologue could serve as an analogy for Tom and Savannah's wondrous and nightmarish childhood?
5. How has Savannah responded to Tom's letters, according to Dr. Lowenstein?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the robbery that Luke witnesses in New York show us about the city?
2. How does the death of Rose Ann reveal the nature of the Wingo parents?
3. How does the fury of the storm echo the plight of Lila Wingo?
4. How does Dr. Lowenstein perceive Lila in Chapter Six?
5. How does the Prologue present the father of the Wingo children?
6. Why does Tom suggest that football is a good thing for the unhappy Bernard?
7. How does the scene in the funeral parlor contrast with the rest of the Wingo childhood?
8. What is the significance of the game Tom plays with his daughters?
9. What does Luke pray for before his father leaves for Korea?
10. How has coaching Bernard helped Tom?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)