|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news do Tom and his family discover in Chapter One?
(a) Tom's father recently passed away.
(b) Tom's brother decided to move back home.
(c) Savannah has tried to commit suicide again.
(d) Lila has finally remarried.
2. Which of the following characters dies during the storm?
3. What does Tom say that Grandmother Tolitha did immediately following Papa John's death?
(a) She traveled the world until her money ran out.
(b) She became a religious fanatic.
(c) She moved into a nursing home.
(d) She went back to Grandpa Wingo.
4. Why does Tom tell Dr. Lowenstein the story of his mother's quest to win the Colleton League cookbook contest?
(a) To show Lila's lust to be part of the social elite.
(b) To show Lila's lack of maternal instincts.
(c) To show Lila's determination and work ethic.
(d) To show Lila's innate ability as a homemaker.
5. Where does the narrative of Chapter Four take place?
(a) In New York City as Savannah prepares for another performance.
(b) In Europe where Henry is a pilot stationed in Europe.
(c) On the island as Lila lays in labor.
(d) In Germany where Henry's plane has been shot down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is "Callanwolde"?
2. According to Tom, which character seems to be the most caring person in the children's lives?
3. How would you characterize Tom's initial behavior towards Dr. Lowenstein?
4. Tom's mother often made up stories about _____________.
5. How many children do Tom and his wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lila react to Henry's buying a tiger?
2. How does Tom explain the recording of Savannah's psychotic seizure?
3. What is one of the benefits of Tom's extraordinary childhood?
4. What does Luke pray for before his father leaves for Korea?
5. How do the Wingo children get revenge on the Newburys?
6. Why does Tom admit to hating both men and women equally?
7. How has coaching Bernard helped Tom?
8. How does the scene in the funeral parlor contrast with the rest of the Wingo childhood?
9. Why does Tom suggest that football is a good thing for the unhappy Bernard?
10. Why does Tom feel the fallow deer are out of place in the Central Park Zoo?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)