|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Lowenstein's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a doctor like his wife.
(b) He is a professor at a city university.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He is a musician.
2. Where are Tom and Dr. Lowenstein at the start of Chapter Six?
(a) They are in a therapy session at Lowenstein's office.
(b) They are having cocktails together.
(c) They are sharing a taxi ride.
(d) They are in the hospital.
3. What is it about Henry Wingo that is difficult for Tom to reconcile?
(a) He cannot understand how Tolitha and Amos created such a dangerous man.
(b) He does not know why his father loved Luke more than Tom.
(c) He does not see how the war made his father such an emotional person.
(d) He does not think his father taught him anything growing up.
4. Why might Conroy have included the scene with Tolitha's coffin in Chapter Eight?
(a) To rationalize why Tom is afraid of dying.
(b) To contrast the religions of Tom's two grandparents.
(c) To provide a comic relief from the more depressing events of the Wingo history.
(d) To reveal some of the darker sides of the Wingo relatives.
5. Why does Isabel Newbury leave Tom and his mother standing on the porch?
(a) Isabel refuses to answer the door.
(b) Standing on the porch is part of Tom's punishment.
(c) Todd doesn't want to speak to Tom.
(d) Todd's father will erupt if he sees Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom recall that his father did not allow?
2. What does Tom's wife blurt out to elicit an emotional response from Tom as they walk along the beach in Chapter One?
3. What is the name of Tom's wife?
4. According to Tom, which character seems to be the most caring person in the children's lives?
5. Where is Melrose Island located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the ramifications of the divorce proceedings?
2. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
3. Why is it ironic that Oscar Woodhead hoists Benji on his shoulders after Colleton beats North Charleston?
4. Why is Tom jealous of Savannah in Chapter 18?
5. How does Tom ironically avenge Herbert's rude behavior?
6. What admission does Susan make that startles Tom over dinner?
7. What might the appearance of Snow symbolize?
8. Why does Tom decide to tell Dr. Lowenstein about the fateful day on the island?
9. Why does Tom agree to help find Luke?
10. Why is Tom shy in the locker room at South Carolina University?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)