|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the old German priest guilt-ridden?
(a) He refused to provide safe haven for Henry Wingo.
(b) He agreed to bless the German soldiers.
(c) He betrayed Jewish refugees hiding in his church.
(d) He allows Henry to stay until he is strong enough to leave.
2. Who is Winthrop Ogletree?
(a) The mortician.
(b) The country sheriff.
(c) The local witch doctor.
(d) The town doctor.
3. What does Tom recount as his reason for punching Todd Newbury?
(a) Todd insulted Tom's family.
(b) Todd punched Tom's brother.
(c) Todd tried to kiss Tom's sister.
(d) Todd stole his grandmother's camera.
4. Whose phone call disrupts the harmony of the opening scene?
5. After producing a letter from Lila, how does Dr. Lowenstein view Tom's mother?
(a) She thinks Lila is no different than her own mother.
(b) She thinks Lila is a concerned parent.
(c) She thinks Lila is a calculating manipulator.
(d) She thinks Lila is a terrible caregiver.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Five, what job is given to the Wingo children when they go to live with Papa John?
2. Henry tries which of the following plots to make money?
3. Why does Tom tell Dr. Lowenstein the story of his mother's quest to win the Colleton League cookbook contest?
4. Who or what is "Callanwolde"?
5. How many children do Tom and his wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of Rose Ann reveal the nature of the Wingo parents?
2. Why does Henry covert to Catholicism?
3. Why does Tom suggest that football is a good thing for the unhappy Bernard?
4. What does the robbery that Luke witnesses in New York show us about the city?
5. What is the significance of the game Tom plays with his daughters?
6. How does the phone call contrast with the idyllic opening of Chapter 1?
7. What kind of family does the Prologue portray?
8. How does Tom explain the recording of Savannah's psychotic seizure?
9. How does Tom turn the tables on Bernard?
10. How has coaching Bernard helped Tom?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)