|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What transformation occurs in Henry when he is on his shrimping boat?
(a) He never drinks.
(b) He plays the guitar and sings often.
(c) He refuses to look at his children.
(d) He never hits the children.
2. When Henry is recalled to the Air Force to go to Korea, where do Lila and the children go to live?
(a) They go to live on the Air Force base in Hawaii.
(b) They go to live with Henry's mother in Decatur.
(c) They go to live with Lila's family in Charlotte.
(d) They go to live with Henry's mother in Atlanta.
3. Why does Henry buy the tiger from the circus?
(a) As security for the Wingo home.
(b) As a practical joke to play on Lila.
(c) As an advertising stunt for his business.
(d) As a playmate for the children.
4. What does Tom really think of Bernard?
(a) He thinks he is a spoiled brat.
(b) He thinks he is unhappy.
(c) He thinks he has a lot of athletic ability.
(d) He thinks he is a closet homosexual.
5. Where are Tom and Dr. Lowenstein at the start of Chapter Six?
(a) They are in a therapy session at Lowenstein's office.
(b) They are having cocktails together.
(c) They are sharing a taxi ride.
(d) They are in the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom begin writing letters to South Carolina?
2. How does Luke respond to the tiger's presence?
3. What does Tom do while waiting for Bernard in Central Park?
4. Whose phone call disrupts the harmony of the opening scene?
5. How would you characterize Tom's initial behavior towards Dr. Lowenstein?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom explain the recording of Savannah's psychotic seizure?
2. How does the fury of the storm echo the plight of Lila Wingo?
3. How does the scene in the funeral parlor contrast with the rest of the Wingo childhood?
4. How does Lila react to Henry's buying a tiger?
5. Why doesn't Lila want the children to tell their father about the man called "Callanwolde"?
6. Why does Tom feel the fallow deer are out of place in the Central Park Zoo?
7. What is the topic of Savannah's poetry?
8. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
9. How does the death of Rose Ann reveal the nature of the Wingo parents?
10. Why does Tom feel Grandma Tolitha returns to Grandpa Wingo?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)