|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom begin writing letters to South Carolina?
(a) He is writing schools to find a football coaching position.
(b) He is writing Luke to tell him about Savannah's progress.
(c) He is writing his wife to reignite the lost romance between them.
(d) He is writing his mother to reconcile their estranged relationship.
2. How many different types of Wingos are there according to Tom?
3. What does Tom see as the character flaw in Tolitha?
(a) She relies too much on superstition.
(b) She has a violent side like her son.
(c) She turns to drinking whenever a situation is tense.
(d) She refuses to attend church with her husband.
4. Tom's story is set against the backdrop of which war?
(a) World War II.
(b) Vietnam War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War I.
5. What role does Bernard actually play on his school's football team?
(a) Equipment manager.
(b) Bench warmer.
(c) Water boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following images from the Prologue could serve as an analogy for Tom and Savannah's wondrous and nightmarish childhood?
2. How would you characterize Tom's initial behavior towards Dr. Lowenstein?
3. Where does the narrative of Chapter Four take place?
4. According to Tom, which character seems to be the most caring person in the children's lives?
5. What does Lila teach her children to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the story of Lila's quest to win the Colleton League cookbook contest reveal about her character?
2. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
3. Why does Tom suggest that football is a good thing for the unhappy Bernard?
4. How does the Prologue present the father of the Wingo children?
5. How does Lila react to the news of Tom's actions against Todd?
6. How does Tom turn the tables on Bernard?
7. Who is the Prince of Tides?
8. How does the phone call contrast with the idyllic opening of Chapter 1?
9. Why does Tom feel the fallow deer are out of place in the Central Park Zoo?
10. How has coaching Bernard helped Tom?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)