|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following images from the Prologue could serve as an analogy for Tom and Savannah's wondrous and nightmarish childhood?
(a) The yelping dogs.
(b) The pregnant cows.
(c) The dying whale.
(d) The injured colt.
2. Who or what is "Callanwolde"?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) It is one of the words Savannah repeats on Dr. Lowenstein's recording.
(c) It is the woods around the Chandler estate.
(d) It is the buzz word used by the children to indicate any kind of danger.
3. What does Tom really think of Bernard?
(a) He thinks he is unhappy.
(b) He thinks he is a spoiled brat.
(c) He thinks he has a lot of athletic ability.
(d) He thinks he is a closet homosexual.
4. Which of the following characters dies during the storm?
5. Why is Dr. Lowenstein's son alienated from his father?
(a) He cannot share his love for football with his father.
(b) His father is physically abusive, much like Tom's father.
(c) His father is rarely home because of work.
(d) He disagrees with his father's political views.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say that Grandmother Tolitha did immediately following Papa John's death?
2. How would you describe the tone of Dr. Lowenstein when she refers to Tom as "Tom Wingo of South Carolina"?
3. Where are Tom and Dr. Lowenstein at the start of Chapter Six?
4. What is the name of the school Bernard attends?
5. Who does Dr. Lowenstein inform Tom that she has spoken with on the phone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Prologue present the father of the Wingo children?
2. How does Tom turn the tables on Bernard?
3. How does Lila feel about Henry's profession as a shrimper?
4. What does Luke pray for before his father leaves for Korea?
5. How does Dr. Lowenstein perceive Lila in Chapter Six?
6. What is one of the benefits of Tom's extraordinary childhood?
7. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
8. Why does Tom punch Todd Newbury, and what does this reveal or suggest about Tom?
9. How has coaching Bernard helped Tom?
10. How do the Wingo children get revenge on the Newburys?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)