|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom recalls a time during his________ year when he killed a bald eagle.
2. Why does Tom tell Dr. Lowenstein the story of his mother's quest to win the Colleton League cookbook contest?
(a) To show Lila's determination and work ethic.
(b) To show Lila's innate ability as a homemaker.
(c) To show Lila's lust to be part of the social elite.
(d) To show Lila's lack of maternal instincts.
3. Why does Tolitha ask Luke to take pictures of her in the coffin?
(a) She wants to see what she looks like in it.
(b) She wants to go out like a dowager queen.
(c) She is playing a joke on her husband.
(d) She wants to frighten Ruby Blankenship.
4. After producing a letter from Lila, how does Dr. Lowenstein view Tom's mother?
(a) She thinks Lila is no different than her own mother.
(b) She thinks Lila is a calculating manipulator.
(c) She thinks Lila is a terrible caregiver.
(d) She thinks Lila is a concerned parent.
5. Which of the following images from the Prologue could serve as an analogy for Tom and Savannah's wondrous and nightmarish childhood?
(a) The pregnant cows.
(b) The injured colt.
(c) The dying whale.
(d) The yelping dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following types of imagery dominates the Prologue?
2. Why might Conroy have included the scene with Tolitha's coffin in Chapter Eight?
3. What is the initial topic of Tom's heated discussion with Dr. Lowenstein?
4. Which of the following does Tom NOT call attention to during his formative years?
5. How many children do Tom and his wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What admission does Susan make that startles Tom over dinner?
2. How does Tom explain the recording of Savannah's psychotic seizure?
3. How does Tom ironically avenge Herbert's rude behavior?
4. How does Dr. Lowenstein perceive Lila in Chapter Six?
5. What does Tom suspect about Amos' Good Friday walk?
6. How does the phone call contrast with the idyllic opening of Chapter 1?
7. Does the Wingo family achieve closure by the end of the novel?
8. Why does Tom find the map on Reese Newbury's wall disconcerting?
9. What does Tom admit is even worse than the story of his family's attack?
10. What might the appearance of Snow symbolize?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)