|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During which decade does Tom begin recalling the story of his family?
2. What does Dr. Lowenstein's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a doctor like his wife.
(b) He is a writer.
(c) He is a musician.
(d) He is a professor at a city university.
3. Where is Melrose Island located?
(a) Outside Long Island Sound.
(b) Near a shipping town in North Carolina.
(c) Off the coast of South Carolina.
(d) Among the Florida Keys.
4. How has Savannah responded to Tom's letters, according to Dr. Lowenstein?
(a) They have inspired Savannah to overcome her illness.
(b) They have not been read by Savannah.
(c) They have angered Savannah to thoughts of suicide.
(d) They have upset Savannah to the point of needing sedation.
5. What does Lila teach her children to do?
(a) She taught them to hide their wounds with lies.
(b) She taught them to judge people based on appearances.
(c) She taught them to always follow their dreams.
(d) She taught them to respect nature in all its beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following events does NOT happen during the family picnic?
2. Tom is correct in guessing that ______________.
3. What does Tom see as the character flaw in Tolitha?
4. Who is Winthrop Ogletree?
5. How does the Wingo family react to the last still born, Rose Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom suspect about Amos' Good Friday walk?
2. What does Henry's visit to Tom in this chapter reveal about Henry's character?
3. Why does Tom punch Todd Newbury, and what does this reveal or suggest about Tom?
4. Why does Tom suggest that football is a good thing for the unhappy Bernard?
5. What are the ramifications of the divorce proceedings?
6. Why is it ironic that Oscar Woodhead hoists Benji on his shoulders after Colleton beats North Charleston?
7. What does Luke pray for before his father leaves for Korea?
8. What admission does Susan make that startles Tom over dinner?
9. What is the significance of the game Tom plays with his daughters?
10. Why does Tom admit to hating both men and women equally?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)