|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom's story is set against the backdrop of which war?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) Vietnam War.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
2. What does Tom's wife blurt out to elicit an emotional response from Tom as they walk along the beach in Chapter One?
(a) She confesses she is having an affair.
(b) She chastises Tom for being a horrible provider.
(c) She begs Tom to spend more time with the children.
(d) She tells Tom that she never loved him.
3. Henry tries which of the following plots to make money?
(a) He tries farming.
(b) He invests in ethnic greeting cards.
(c) All of these.
(d) He buys the Esso gasoline station in Colleton.
4. Why does Amos bring everyone to the hayloft barn?
(a) Because robbers have broken into the house.
(b) Because the storm begins to flood the house.
(c) Because racist townsfolk are threatening the Wingo servants.
(d) Because Amos wants to have a prayer meeting.
5. What news do Tom and his family discover in Chapter One?
(a) Savannah has tried to commit suicide again.
(b) Lila has finally remarried.
(c) Tom's father recently passed away.
(d) Tom's brother decided to move back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter Two flashes back to the 1970s when Tom is a _____________.
2. In Chapter Five, what job is given to the Wingo children when they go to live with Papa John?
3. What does Tom promise to tell Dr. Lowenstein during dinner?
4. Tom is determined to discover ____________.
5. What does Tom read in the waiting room of Dr. Lowenstein's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of Rose Ann reveal the nature of the Wingo parents?
2. How does Lila react to Henry's buying a tiger?
3. How has coaching Bernard helped Tom?
4. Why does Tom admit to hating both men and women equally?
5. Who is the Prince of Tides?
6. What is curious about Tolitha and Amos having Henry for a son?
7. Why doesn't Lila want the children to tell their father about the man called "Callanwolde"?
8. What is the significance of the game Tom plays with his daughters?
9. What is one of the benefits of Tom's extraordinary childhood?
10. Why does Tom feel the fallow deer are out of place in the Central Park Zoo?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)