|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter Two flashes back to the 1970s when Tom is a _____________.
(a) Football coach and teacher.
(b) Shrimp boat captain off the coast of Florida.
(c) Advocate and demonstrator for civil rights.
(d) ROTC cadet.
2. Who tries to buy Henry Wingo's island?
(a) Amos Wingo.
(b) Ruby Blankenship.
(c) Reese Newbury.
(d) Callanwolde Simmons.
3. Which of the following events does NOT transpire when Tom visits Savannah's apartment?
(a) He breaks down and weeps after seeing his sister's artwork on the walls.
(b) He lies down on Savannah's bed with a migraine headache.
(c) He is threatened by a neighbor wielding a pistol.
(d) He reads a letter from his wallet written by Savannah years ago.
4. What does Lila teach her children to do?
(a) She taught them to hide their wounds with lies.
(b) She taught them to always follow their dreams.
(c) She taught them to judge people based on appearances.
(d) She taught them to respect nature in all its beauty.
5. Why are Tom and Luke awakened in the middle of the night while visiting Savannah in New York in Chapter Two?
(a) Lila phones them with urgent news about a family emergency.
(b) Savannah is in the throes of a psychotic spell.
(c) Tom's wife has called with a tearful confession.
(d) Luke is crying out from a terrible nightmare.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lila react to the turkey donated by the Colleton League?
2. What does Tom recount as his reason for punching Todd Newbury?
3. Why does Isabel Newbury leave Tom and his mother standing on the porch?
4. How does the Wingo family react to the last still born, Rose Ann?
5. Who is Sarah Jenkins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
2. How does the scene in the funeral parlor contrast with the rest of the Wingo childhood?
3. What is one of the benefits of Tom's extraordinary childhood?
4. Why does Tom feel the fallow deer are out of place in the Central Park Zoo?
5. Why does Tom punch Todd Newbury, and what does this reveal or suggest about Tom?
6. Who is the Prince of Tides?
7. Why does Tom suggest that football is a good thing for the unhappy Bernard?
8. Why doesn't Lila want the children to tell their father about the man called "Callanwolde"?
9. How does Tom turn the tables on Bernard?
10. How does the fury of the storm echo the plight of Lila Wingo?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)