|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom promise to tell Dr. Lowenstein during dinner?
(a) He promises to call his mother and tell her how he feels.
(b) He promises to let the doctor help him with his marriage.
(c) He promises to tell her everything she wants to know about Savannah's past.
(d) He promises to tell her why he maintains his racist beliefs.
2. Why does Isabel Newbury leave Tom and his mother standing on the porch?
(a) Standing on the porch is part of Tom's punishment.
(b) Todd doesn't want to speak to Tom.
(c) Todd's father will erupt if he sees Tom.
(d) Isabel refuses to answer the door.
3. Who does Dr. Lowenstein inform Tom that she has spoken with on the phone?
4. Why do Tom and Luke travel to New York City?
(a) To see the Broadway show Savannah was starring in.
(b) To attend Savannah's poetry reading.
(c) To meet the paternal grandfather they never knew.
(d) To visit their sick father in the hospital.
5. What does Lila teach her children to do?
(a) She taught them to always follow their dreams.
(b) She taught them to judge people based on appearances.
(c) She taught them to respect nature in all its beauty.
(d) She taught them to hide their wounds with lies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom recall that his father did not allow?
2. Tom's story is set against the backdrop of which war?
3. What does Tom leave in the Newbury house while they are out of town?
4. Who is Winthrop Ogletree?
5. Why does Tolitha ask Luke to take pictures of her in the coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Lowenstein perceive Lila in Chapter Six?
2. Why does Tom admit to hating both men and women equally?
3. How does the phone call contrast with the idyllic opening of Chapter 1?
4. What does the robbery that Luke witnesses in New York show us about the city?
5. What does Luke pray for before his father leaves for Korea?
6. How does the Prologue present the father of the Wingo children?
7. How does the fury of the storm echo the plight of Lila Wingo?
8. What is curious about Tolitha and Amos having Henry for a son?
9. How does Lila react to Henry's buying a tiger?
10. Why does Henry covert to Catholicism?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)