|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom begin writing letters to South Carolina?
(a) He is writing schools to find a football coaching position.
(b) He is writing his wife to reignite the lost romance between them.
(c) He is writing Luke to tell him about Savannah's progress.
(d) He is writing his mother to reconcile their estranged relationship.
2. What role does Bernard actually play on his school's football team?
(b) Water boy.
(c) Equipment manager.
(d) Bench warmer.
3. Where do Tom and Dr. Lowenstein go the night after their initial meeting?
(a) To visit Lila in the nursing home.
(b) To visit Luke in a psychiatric ward.
(c) To visit Savannah in the hospital.
(d) To visit the grave of Tom's deceased grandfather.
4. Tom and Savannah admittedly resent their parents because ___________.
(a) They refused to spend any time with the children while growing up.
(b) They participated in racist rallies and demonstrations.
(c) They used their children as ammunition during their own battles.
(d) They separated before the children could know their father.
5. Who is Sarah Jenkins?
(a) Lila Wingo's sister-in-law.
(b) A neighbor of the Wingos'.
(c) One of Grandfather Amos' servants.
(d) An eighty-five-year-old black midwife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lila react to the turkey donated by the Colleton League?
2. Why is Dr. Lowenstein's son alienated from his father?
3. Which of the following events does NOT happen during the family picnic?
4. What is it about Henry Wingo that is difficult for Tom to reconcile?
5. How many children do Tom and his wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the robbery that Luke witnesses in New York show us about the city?
2. How has coaching Bernard helped Tom?
3. Why doesn't Lila want the children to tell their father about the man called "Callanwolde"?
4. What does the story of Lila's quest to win the Colleton League cookbook contest reveal about her character?
5. How does Lila react to Henry's buying a tiger?
6. Why does Tom suggest that football is a good thing for the unhappy Bernard?
7. What kind of family does the Prologue portray?
8. What does Luke pray for before his father leaves for Korea?
9. What is the significance of the game Tom plays with his daughters?
10. How does the death of Rose Ann reveal the nature of the Wingo parents?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)