Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What transformation occurs in Henry when he is on his shrimping boat?
(a) He refuses to look at his children.
(b) He plays the guitar and sings often.
(c) He never hits the children.
(d) He never drinks.
2. Which of the following events does NOT transpire when Tom visits Savannah's apartment?
(a) He reads a letter from his wallet written by Savannah years ago.
(b) He lies down on Savannah's bed with a migraine headache.
(c) He is threatened by a neighbor wielding a pistol.
(d) He breaks down and weeps after seeing his sister's artwork on the walls.
3. How would you characterize Tom's initial behavior towards Dr. Lowenstein?
(a) He is warm and receptive.
(b) He is profane and defensive.
(c) He is flirtatious and charismatic.
(d) He is candid and revealing.
4. What is the name of the school Bernard attends?
(b) Monsignor Farrell.
(c) Phillips Exeter.
(d) Cornwallis Prep.
5. Which of the following events does NOT happen during the family picnic?
(a) Lila is violently shaken by her husband.
(b) Luke vows to pray that his father dies in Korea.
(c) Henry calls Tom a girl.
(d) Henry spits at his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom leave in the Newbury house while they are out of town?
2. Why is Dr. Lowenstein's son alienated from his father?
3. Tom's mother often made up stories about _____________.
4. What role does Bernard actually play on his school's football team?
5. Why does Isabel Newbury leave Tom and his mother standing on the porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the new black student's ability to beat Tom in a race?
2. How would you describe Lila Wingo?
3. What does Tom realize after reading the first page of Renata's book?
4. What is the symbolism of Luke's solitary war with the government?
5. Why is Tom jealous of Savannah in Chapter 18?
6. Why does Henry help "The Amberjack"?
7. What plans do the Wingo children have after graduation?
8. Who is the Prince of Tides?
9. How does Lila react to the news of Tom's actions against Todd?
10. What is different, according to Susan, about the way Bernard interacts with Tom and his father?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)