|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes a stand for Benji before the football game against North Charleston?
2. After Susan expresses her desire for Tom at the end of Chapter Fifteen, how does the evening end for these two characters?
(a) Tom leaves hastily with Susan on the terrace.
(b) Susan warns Tom that their relationship is getting too intimate.
(c) Tom breaks down in tears from missing his wife.
(d) Tom and Susan sleep together.
3. Who does Henry bring with him to the game?
4. What event causes Tom to cry while talking to Lila?
(a) Amos' death.
(b) Savannah tried to kill herself.
(c) Henry violently attacks Tom.
(d) Tom tries to convince her not to divorce Henry.
5. Where is Luke found?
(a) The rubble from the bridge.
(b) Melrose Island.
(c) The railroad station.
(d) Marsh Hen Island.
6. Why does the football coach change his mind about integration?
(a) He sees how diligent the black student is in his classes.
(b) He sees how hard the black student can hit.
(c) He sees how well the black student can throw.
(d) He sees how fast the black student can run.
7. Which character challenges Tom to a fight after school?
(a) Peter Blankenship.
(b) Oscar Woodhead.
(c) Todd Newbury.
(d) Benji Washington.
8. Who is Benji Washington?
(a) A good friend of Tom Wingo.
(b) A black student in Colleton High School.
(c) A transient man who stalks Lila Wingo.
(d) A football team lineman at Colleton High School.
9. What does Luke blow up?
(a) The prison.
(b) Melrose Island.
(c) Four bridges to Melrose Island.
(d) The FBI base.
10. After Tom confronts her in Chapter Twenty, what does Susan then accuse Tom of doing?
(a) Not telling her everything he could about Savannah.
(b) Not allowing Bernard to be the boy he wants to be.
(c) Not being honest with Susan about his attraction to her.
(d) Not giving Susan all the details of his wife's affair.
11. Why won't Lila buy Tom the clothes he asks for?
(a) Because she wants to teach him to treasure what he cannot have.
(b) Because she does not love Tom as much as Savannah.
(c) Because the Wingo family cannot afford it.
(d) Because Henry refuses to dress his boys that way.
12. Tom tells Susan that the story of The Southern Way was true except ________________.
(a) The children had no magic.
(b) Their mother was not as brutal as the story depicts.
(c) The ghastly dogs never left them alone.
(d) The nightmares did not have a happy ending.
13. What position does Tom play at South Carolina University?
(b) Defensive safety.
14. Who arrives at Savannah's apartment the morning after the dinner party?
(a) Reese Newbury.
15. What event in Tom's life occurs in 1971?
(a) Jennifer is born.
(b) Henry is imprisoned.
(c) Savannah is sent to Bellevue.
(d) Luke is arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose photo does Tom find in Savannah's apartment?
2. Why does Lila invite Tom to dinner?
3. Why is Bernard no longer continuing his football lessons?
4. How do the children get around the night watchman on "The Amberjack"?
5. Where do Tom and Luke go after the game?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)