|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom confront his father about?
(a) Amos' fanaticism.
(b) His cruelty.
(c) Luke's insanity.
(d) His gentleness.
2. In Chapter Twenty-One, how does Lila try to distract Tom from his intentions to tell the doctor the truth about what happened to the family?
(a) Tom's children are no longer attending school.
(b) Sallie is having an indiscreet affair.
(c) Tom is not the son she wanted him to be.
(d) Lila is ill with a terminal disease.
3. Who is awarded all the belongings of the Wingo family?
4. The Amberjack has arrived to capture _____________.
(a) Amos' flying squirrel.
(c) Ruby's wildcat.
(d) Henry's tiger.
5. Tom tells Susan that the story of The Southern Way was true except ________________.
(a) Their mother was not as brutal as the story depicts.
(b) The ghastly dogs never left them alone.
(c) The children had no magic.
(d) The nightmares did not have a happy ending.
6. Where do Tom and Susan go after the dinner party?
(a) Savannah's apartment.
(b) Central Park.
(c) Tom's hotel room.
(d) Susan's terrace.
7. How does Tom feel heading into the fight?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is indifferent.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is confident.
8. Where is Luke found?
(a) The rubble from the bridge.
(b) Melrose Island.
(c) Marsh Hen Island.
(d) The railroad station.
9. Where has "The Amberjack" gone after making its capture?
(c) New York City.
(d) South Carolina.
10. Why does Tom call Sallie?
(a) To tell her that he still loves her.
(b) All of these.
(c) To tell her that he wants her to be his wife.
(d) To warn her that Lila may be calling.
11. Why does Susan return inside from the terrace after talking with Tom after dinner in Chapter Fifteen?
(a) To call her husband,
(b) To check on Bernard.
(c) To replenish their drinks.
(d) To give the maid instructions.
12. What is the name of the poem Savannah reads at Luke's funeral?
(a) The Prince of Tides.
(b) The Southern Way.
(c) The Island of Wonder.
(d) The Aging Glory.
13. Why is Tom furious with Dr. Lowenstein?
(a) She has refused to let Bernard practice with him.
(b) She has not told him about Renata.
(c) She called his wife in South Carolina.
(d) She moved Savannah to a different hospital.
14. After learning the truth about Renata in Chapter Twenty, Tom challenges Susan for ______________.
(a) Lying to his mother about Savannah's mental state.
(b) Supporting the publication of "The Southern Way."
(c) Helping Savannah become someone else.
(d) Deceiving him about Savannah's condition.
15. After Tom confronts her in Chapter Twenty, what does Susan then accuse Tom of doing?
(a) Not giving Susan all the details of his wife's affair.
(b) Not being honest with Susan about his attraction to her.
(c) Not telling her everything he could about Savannah.
(d) Not allowing Bernard to be the boy he wants to be.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Herbert Woodruff speak to Tom at the dinner party?
2. Whose photo does Tom find in Savannah's apartment?
3. What does Lila ask Tom to do for her before Mrs. Newbury's death?
4. Why does Lila insist that Tom remain silent about the past?
5. Who is Benji Washington?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)