|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom leave in the Newbury house while they are out of town?
(a) A bag of horse manure.
(b) A dead loggerhead turtle.
(c) A dead squirrel.
(d) A pile of rotting shrimp.
2. How many different types of Wingos are there according to Tom?
3. What is the name of Tom's sister?
4. What does Ruby Blankenship offer the children?
(a) Cotton candy.
(b) Saltwater taffy.
(c) Juicy Fruit.
(d) Orange juice.
5. What happens as Tom tries to explain the game of football to Dr. Lowenstein?
(a) She understands and appreciates the game.
(b) She refuses to understand it.
(c) She agrees to attend Bernard's games in the fall.
(d) She is outraged that Tom would even speak to her about sports.
6. When Henry is recalled to the Air Force to go to Korea, where do Lila and the children go to live?
(a) They go to live with Henry's mother in Atlanta.
(b) They go to live with Henry's mother in Decatur.
(c) They go to live with Lila's family in Charlotte.
(d) They go to live on the Air Force base in Hawaii.
7. Why might Conroy have included the scene with Tolitha's coffin in Chapter Eight?
(a) To provide a comic relief from the more depressing events of the Wingo history.
(b) To rationalize why Tom is afraid of dying.
(c) To contrast the religions of Tom's two grandparents.
(d) To reveal some of the darker sides of the Wingo relatives.
8. What does Tom's wife blurt out to elicit an emotional response from Tom as they walk along the beach in Chapter One?
(a) She begs Tom to spend more time with the children.
(b) She tells Tom that she never loved him.
(c) She chastises Tom for being a horrible provider.
(d) She confesses she is having an affair.
9. What does Tom see as the character flaw in Tolitha?
(a) She turns to drinking whenever a situation is tense.
(b) She relies too much on superstition.
(c) She has a violent side like her son.
(d) She refuses to attend church with her husband.
10. Which of the following events does NOT transpire when Tom visits Savannah's apartment?
(a) He lies down on Savannah's bed with a migraine headache.
(b) He breaks down and weeps after seeing his sister's artwork on the walls.
(c) He reads a letter from his wallet written by Savannah years ago.
(d) He is threatened by a neighbor wielding a pistol.
11. What does Tom do while waiting for Bernard in Central Park?
(a) He observes the animals in their cages at the zoo.
(b) He sits on a bench and recalls a memory with Savannah.
(c) He takes off his wedding ring and stares at it.
(d) He watches children playing by the fountain.
12. What does Dr. Lowenstein's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a musician.
(b) He is a professor at a city university.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He is a doctor like his wife.
13. What transformation occurs in Henry when he is on his shrimping boat?
(a) He plays the guitar and sings often.
(b) He never hits the children.
(c) He refuses to look at his children.
(d) He never drinks.
14. During which decade does Tom begin recalling the story of his family?
15. How do Savannah and Tom feel about their father during their teenage years?
(a) They love their father.
(b) They hate their father.
(c) They are jealous of their father.
(d) They feel nothing toward their father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to buy Henry Wingo's island?
2. Tom's story is set against the backdrop of which war?
3. What role does Bernard actually play on his school's football team?
4. What news do Tom and his family discover in Chapter One?
5. What does Tom really think of Bernard?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)