|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry light a candle at the statue of the Infant of Prague?
(a) For his family, whom Henry misses very much.
(b) For the farm woman who was beaten for feeding Henry.
(c) For the Swiss family whose house was destroyed for haboring Henry.
(d) For the old priest who was hung for helping Henry.
2. Why are Tom and Luke awakened in the middle of the night while visiting Savannah in New York in Chapter Two?
(a) Tom's wife has called with a tearful confession.
(b) Savannah is in the throes of a psychotic spell.
(c) Luke is crying out from a terrible nightmare.
(d) Lila phones them with urgent news about a family emergency.
3. What is the name of Tom's wife?
4. Tom is correct in guessing that ______________.
(a) Bernard is not popular at school.
(b) Bernard is afraid to take football seriously.
(c) Bernard has a secret girlfriend.
(d) Bernard is intimidated by Tom's athleticism.
5. How would you characterize Bernard's attitude in his first meeting with Tom?
(a) Anxious and enthusiastic.
(b) Warm and amicable.
(c) Dull and indifferent.
(d) Resentful and angry.
6. What is the name of the school Bernard attends?
(a) Phillips Exeter.
(b) Cornwallis Prep.
(c) Monsignor Farrell.
7. What is Dr. Lowenstein's reaction to Tom telling the story about Todd Newbury?
(a) She is disinterested.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She is frustrated.
(d) She is concerned.
8. Which family member does Tom admit to being the forbidden member of the Wingo clan?
9. Why is the old German priest guilt-ridden?
(a) He agreed to bless the German soldiers.
(b) He refused to provide safe haven for Henry Wingo.
(c) He allows Henry to stay until he is strong enough to leave.
(d) He betrayed Jewish refugees hiding in his church.
10. Which of the following does Tom NOT call attention to during his formative years?
(a) Opposing the war.
(b) Defending black equality.
(c) Being a cadet in ROTC.
(d) Running for local office.
11. Who is Sarah Jenkins?
(a) Lila Wingo's sister-in-law.
(b) A neighbor of the Wingos'.
(c) One of Grandfather Amos' servants.
(d) An eighty-five-year-old black midwife.
12. What does Tom's wife blurt out to elicit an emotional response from Tom as they walk along the beach in Chapter One?
(a) She chastises Tom for being a horrible provider.
(b) She confesses she is having an affair.
(c) She tells Tom that she never loved him.
(d) She begs Tom to spend more time with the children.
13. Why might Conroy have included the scene with Tolitha's coffin in Chapter Eight?
(a) To reveal some of the darker sides of the Wingo relatives.
(b) To contrast the religions of Tom's two grandparents.
(c) To rationalize why Tom is afraid of dying.
(d) To provide a comic relief from the more depressing events of the Wingo history.
14. Whose phone call disrupts the harmony of the opening scene?
15. Where does the narrative of Chapter Four take place?
(a) In New York City as Savannah prepares for another performance.
(b) On the island as Lila lays in labor.
(c) In Europe where Henry is a pilot stationed in Europe.
(d) In Germany where Henry's plane has been shot down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry tries which of the following plots to make money?
2. What does Tom do while waiting for Bernard in Central Park?
3. What role does Bernard actually play on his school's football team?
4. Tom and Savannah admittedly resent their parents because ___________.
5. Why does Tolitha ask Luke to take pictures of her in the coffin?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)