|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Tom NOT call attention to during his formative years?
(a) Opposing the war.
(b) Running for local office.
(c) Defending black equality.
(d) Being a cadet in ROTC.
2. Whose phone call disrupts the harmony of the opening scene?
3. Who is Sarah Jenkins?
(a) Lila Wingo's sister-in-law.
(b) A neighbor of the Wingos'.
(c) An eighty-five-year-old black midwife.
(d) One of Grandfather Amos' servants.
4. How has Savannah responded to Tom's letters, according to Dr. Lowenstein?
(a) They have inspired Savannah to overcome her illness.
(b) They have angered Savannah to thoughts of suicide.
(c) They have not been read by Savannah.
(d) They have upset Savannah to the point of needing sedation.
5. How does Luke feel about New York City?
(a) He feels that this evil city is no place for his little sister.
(b) He disagrees with Tom that urban life is more interesting than Southern gallantry.
(c) He feels that this sophisticated metropolis is the perfect place for his sister.
(d) He is fascinated by the feminists he encounters in New York.
6. Which of the following images from the Prologue could serve as an analogy for Tom and Savannah's wondrous and nightmarish childhood?
(a) The pregnant cows.
(b) The dying whale.
(c) The yelping dogs.
(d) The injured colt.
7. What does Tom leave in the Newbury house while they are out of town?
(a) A dead squirrel.
(b) A bag of horse manure.
(c) A pile of rotting shrimp.
(d) A dead loggerhead turtle.
8. Why is the old German priest guilt-ridden?
(a) He betrayed Jewish refugees hiding in his church.
(b) He allows Henry to stay until he is strong enough to leave.
(c) He agreed to bless the German soldiers.
(d) He refused to provide safe haven for Henry Wingo.
9. Chapter Two flashes back to the 1970s when Tom is a _____________.
(a) ROTC cadet.
(b) Football coach and teacher.
(c) Shrimp boat captain off the coast of Florida.
(d) Advocate and demonstrator for civil rights.
10. What transformation occurs in Henry when he is on his shrimping boat?
(a) He refuses to look at his children.
(b) He never hits the children.
(c) He plays the guitar and sings often.
(d) He never drinks.
11. Tom is determined to discover ____________.
(a) Why his wife has decided to leave him.
(b) Why Dr. Lowenstein keeps her emotional distance from him.
(c) Why Lila refuses to admit that anything traumatic happened to the children.
(d) Why Savannah has become psychotic.
12. What is the name of the school Bernard attends?
(a) Monsignor Farrell.
(b) Cornwallis Prep.
(c) Phillips Exeter.
13. Why are Tom and Luke awakened in the middle of the night while visiting Savannah in New York in Chapter Two?
(a) Tom's wife has called with a tearful confession.
(b) Lila phones them with urgent news about a family emergency.
(c) Luke is crying out from a terrible nightmare.
(d) Savannah is in the throes of a psychotic spell.
14. How would you characterize Bernard's attitude in his first meeting with Tom?
(a) Resentful and angry.
(b) Warm and amicable.
(c) Anxious and enthusiastic.
(d) Dull and indifferent.
15. What is the name of Tom's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the initial topic of Tom's heated discussion with Dr. Lowenstein?
2. Why is Dr. Lowenstein's son alienated from his father?
3. What does Lila do after finding Savannah's journal?
4. Tom is correct in guessing that ______________.
5. Where does Lila go to reinvent herself?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)