|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Tom and Dr. Lowenstein at the start of Chapter Six?
(a) They are having cocktails together.
(b) They are in the hospital.
(c) They are sharing a taxi ride.
(d) They are in a therapy session at Lowenstein's office.
2. Why does Isabel Newbury leave Tom and his mother standing on the porch?
(a) Standing on the porch is part of Tom's punishment.
(b) Todd doesn't want to speak to Tom.
(c) Isabel refuses to answer the door.
(d) Todd's father will erupt if he sees Tom.
3. Why are Tom and Luke awakened in the middle of the night while visiting Savannah in New York in Chapter Two?
(a) Lila phones them with urgent news about a family emergency.
(b) Tom's wife has called with a tearful confession.
(c) Luke is crying out from a terrible nightmare.
(d) Savannah is in the throes of a psychotic spell.
4. Where does the narrative of Chapter Four take place?
(a) In Germany where Henry's plane has been shot down.
(b) In Europe where Henry is a pilot stationed in Europe.
(c) On the island as Lila lays in labor.
(d) In New York City as Savannah prepares for another performance.
5. How would you describe the tone of Dr. Lowenstein when she refers to Tom as "Tom Wingo of South Carolina"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lila insist that Tom remain silent about the past?
2. Whose phone call disrupts the harmony of the opening scene?
3. What does Dr. Lowenstein's husband do for a living?
4. Which of the following images from the Prologue could serve as an analogy for Tom and Savannah's wondrous and nightmarish childhood?
5. Tom wonders why Susan told him she thought her husband _________________.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)