|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Amanda?
2. Why do the women at the office where Jack takes Amanda treat him differently?
3. Why do Ricky and Jack have to enter the main fabrication building one at a time?
4. What does the main fabrication building most resemble?
5. Who does Jack ask about the turned lampshade in Amanda's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia act when she is at dinner with Ellen, Jack, and her children?
2. What type of job did Jack have before he was fired?
3. Describe Mae Chang.
4. Why does one of the PR men for Xymos get out of the helicopter? Why do the other PR men tell him not to?
5. Describe Jack's physical qualities.
6. Where is Julia when Jack tries to call her at the end of Day 4?
7. What is unusual about the condition Amanda develops on Day 2?
8. List the items Jack has to remove before entering the Xymos facility.
9. Why is Mary worried about her husband?
10. Why is Jack hesitant to go back to MediaTronics when they offer him his job back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Creating the units that make up a swarm takes a very delicate manufacturing process. Xymos has gone out of its way to create an assembly that is unlike any other. Write an essay explaining how the Xymos assembly process works. What materials does Xymos use to manufacture their units? Why is their process more like genetic engineering and less like nano manufacturing? What are the magnetic fields and cryogenic rooms used for? What is the product of the process and how does it fit into the whole? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Jack and Julia's children are put in a difficult position in Prey. Their mother is rarely home for dinner and their father is the only parent they ever spend time with. The children can tell that something is wrong with their mother, yet they can do little about it. Write an essay detailing the things Nicole, Eric, and Amanda are put through. Why does Julia violently spank Amanda? Why does Julia refuse to hold Amanda when she comes home from the hospital? Why do the older children say their mother is crazy? What sorts of things has she done that makes them think such a thing? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Jack was in charge of a team of people when he worked for MediaTronics. He was responsible for developing PREDPREY and other programs. To him programming was a hot field and he was one of the leading people in it. Write an essay that explains the duties Jack was responsible for at his old job. What type of programming team did he lead? What sort of programs did his team develop? What types of things did he have to manage on a day-to-day basis? Did he enjoy being in charge of these things? Why or why not? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)