|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicole cry at the end of Day 4?
2. Whose program do they use to program the swarm of nanos?
3. What is Mary studying for her PhD?
4. Who is Tim Bergman?
5. Who does Jack dream of on the night of Day 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mae Chang.
2. Who is Maria?
3. Why did Jack program PREDPREY with the predator-prey model?
4. What advice does Ellen give Jack when he calls her on Day 5? How does he react to it?
5. Describe Julia's physical qualities.
6. What type of job did Jack have before he was fired?
7. How does Julia act when she is at dinner with Ellen, Jack, and her children?
8. What concerns Jack about the sprinklers turning on the morning of Day 3?
9. Describe what Amanda looks like the day after her trip to the hospital.
10. What does Julia do at her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack is thinking of technology and programming whenever he has a spare moment. Write an essay exploring how Jack uses his obsession with technology to his advantage in bad situations. What types of solutions does he think up on his own? How and when are these solutions put to the test? In which instances does being so familiar with PREDPREY and programming save his life? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Creating the units that make up a swarm takes a very delicate manufacturing process. Xymos has gone out of its way to create an assembly that is unlike any other. Write an essay explaining how the Xymos assembly process works. What materials does Xymos use to manufacture their units? Why is their process more like genetic engineering and less like nano manufacturing? What are the magnetic fields and cryogenic rooms used for? What is the product of the process and how does it fit into the whole? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Jack is reunited with several of the people he used to work with at MediaTronics when he goes to the Xymos facility. He is glad to see such brilliant people. He missed working with them. Write an essay detailing the personalities and traits of the programmers Jack used to work with. What are some of the character traits of Rosie? What is special about Mae and her field experience when compared to her peers? Who does Jack like the least? Why? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)