|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Crow man who invited Feather-woman to live with him and his woman as his sister?
2. How old was Pretty-shield when she was promised to Goes-ahead?
3. What are the two months when rattlesnakes are bad, according to Pretty-shield?
4. When Pretty-shield and her mother were running from the Lakota, what kind of tree did they stop behind?
5. How long did the woman let the meat dry that had been cut off the young buffalo cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pretty-shield describe Goes-ahead?
2. What happened to the woman that was picking plums and was bitten by a rattlesnake?
3. How did Pretty-shield reply when Linderman asked her if the men who had died at Little Bighorn had been buried?
4. Who were the people that accompanied General Custer to the battle at Little Bighorn?
5. What did the daughter do when her mother told her to go to Lost-boy and be his woman?
6. What did Pretty-shield state were the happiest days of her life?
7. When the woman first met the white bear in the story of Lost-boy, what did the white bear offer the woman and her child?
8. How did Linderman reply when Pretty-shield asked him if he had ever talked to animal-people?
9. In the story of Lost-boy, how did Lost-boy burn his face?
10. In the story of the woman-mouse, what did the woman-mouse whisper in Little-face's ear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was one of your favorite stories that Pretty-shield told in the book? Why was this your favorite story?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Pretty-shield suppressed her anger towards the white man? What they had done to her tribe? How do you think Pretty-shield's view of the white man changed from the time she met her first white trappers to the days of the Smallpox and white men killing all the buffalo on the plains? Do you think it was hard for Pretty-shield to tell her story to a white man?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Pretty-shield hoped to change the view on the Crow culture by helping with this book? What things do you think Linderman learned from writing this book speaking with Pretty-shield? How much did you learn about the Crow culture that you didn't know before?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)