|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Plenty-coups entered the sun-lodge with three other warriors, he gave a war cry and then did what?
2. When Linderman was leaving the school building in the beginning of Chapter 12, what were the prisoners doing?
3. What did Tricky-wolf paint an otter doing on Good-otters' lodge?
4. What did Lion-woman and her children live off of when they were trying to survive in the wild?
5. When did the Crow put their babies into back-cradles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the name of the woman that won a battle against the Lakota, how old was she, and what did she do to chase off the Lakota?
2. When the woman first met the white bear in the story of Lost-boy, what did the white bear offer the woman and her child?
3. What bird did Pretty-shield tell Linderman had big medicine, and what did she ask Linderman about this particular bird?
4. In the story of Lost-boy, how did Lost-boy burn his face?
5. In the story of the woman-mouse, what did the woman-mouse whisper in Little-face's ear?
6. According to Pretty-shield, how were babies bathed?
7. Who were some of the Sore-lip members that Pretty-shield mentioned in Chapter 17, and what was their medicine?
8. What did the daughter do when her mother told her to go to Lost-boy and be his woman?
9. Who were the people that accompanied General Custer to the battle at Little Bighorn?
10. How did Linderman reply when Pretty-shield asked him if he had ever talked to animal-people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretty-shield was obviously involved with all of her grandchildren's lives.What do you think Pretty-shield's hopes for her grandchildren were? What fears do you think she had for their futures? What changes in her lifetime evoked these hopes and fears?
Essay Topic 2
What was one of your favorite stories that Pretty-shield told in the book? Why was this your favorite story?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 18, how does Pretty-shield describe war? Some tribes seemed to be more peaceful while other tribes seemed to search for battles. Do you think most of the Crow tribe had the same thoughts on war? What evidence is there of other tribes wanting or searching for war instead of trying to avoid it? How do you think the men or warrior's view of war is different from Pretty-shield's or a woman's view?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)