|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Crow and Lakota people formed a great circle and Sitting Bull sat in the middle of the circle, what did he place across his knees?
2. When Pretty-shield was talking about the buffalo going away, how long does she say it has been since she saw a buffalo?
3. What color of blanket was the Crow woman wearing when she came in and interrupted Linderman interviewing Pretty-shield in Chapter 12?
4. Along what river was the Big Tree located?
5. What song was the old Negro errand runner playing on his mouth organ in the beginning of Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the woman first met the white bear in the story of Lost-boy, what did the white bear offer the woman and her child?
2. Who was the Crow that "challenged" Sitting Bull, and what important question did he ask Sitting Bull?
3. How did Linderman reply when Pretty-shield asked him if he had ever talked to animal-people?
4. What was the name of the aged Negro that Linderman mentioned in Chapter 15, and who had he been a servant to?
5. Why was Feather-woman not chosen to go back with her Lakota people?
6. How does Pretty-shield describe Goes-ahead?
7. Who were the people that accompanied General Custer to the battle at Little Bighorn?
8. In the story of Lost-boy, how did Lost-boy burn his face?
9. According to Pretty-shield, how were babies bathed?
10. What did the daughter do when her mother told her to go to Lost-boy and be his woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two different occasions when Pretty-shield met "the white man". Compare and contrast these two experiences. How do you think each of these experiences molded Pretty-shield's view of the white man? Do you think it was beneficial for her to have these two very different experiences? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Pretty-shield describe the way of life for Crows in modern day compared to life as it was growing up as a little girl? What things do you think Pretty-shield misses most about the Crow life as a child? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Pretty-shield told the story of receiving the scar on her forehead. What events led up to this scar? Do you think the scar is a reminder to Pretty-shield of more than just an injury? How could this situation been better? How could it have been worse?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)