|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many coals did the wise-one take from the lodge-fire?
2. What color did the men paint their faces to show a sign of victory?
3. What song was the old Negro errand runner playing on his mouth organ in the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. How many times did the woman's daughter go into the man's lodge and lay inside by the door and get sent out?
5. What kind of arrow was stuck in the buffalo cow that the Crow hunters found?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the woman first met the white bear in the story of Lost-boy, what did the white bear offer the woman and her child?
2. How did Pretty-shield reply when Linderman asked her if the men who had died at Little Bighorn had been buried?
3. What precautions did the women take that had just had a baby?
4. What question did Linderman ask Pretty-shield in the beginning of Chapter 16 that pleased her?
5. According to Pretty-shield, how were babies bathed?
6. How did Linderman reply when Pretty-shield asked him if he had ever talked to animal-people?
7. What bird did Pretty-shield tell Linderman had big medicine, and what did she ask Linderman about this particular bird?
8. What did Pretty-shield state were the happiest days of her life?
9. What did the daughter do when her mother told her to go to Lost-boy and be his woman?
10. How was meat cooked in what Pretty-shield refers to as meat-holes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Pretty-shield's experience of having a baby that she tells Linderman about in Chapter 11; explain how you think this experience affected Pretty-shield. How was it helpful to have others there with her during this experience? Do you think Pretty-shield was strong enough to have a baby on her own during this time? Why or why not? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Pretty-shield was sent to live with her aunt when she was very young instead of having her mother raise her. How do you think this experience benefited Pretty-shield as well as her aunt? What did Pretty-shield and her aunt learn from this experience? Do you think Pretty-shield's mother was okay with this arrangement or do you think she regretted it?
Essay Topic 3
What new thing or things did you learn about the Crow culture from this book? What things surprised you or enlightened about the Crow way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)