|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the muffler made out of that Pretty-shield untied from her head in the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. How did Long-horse die?
3. Who did Pretty-shield bring to live with her and Goes-ahead when they were married?
4. What did Pretty-shield carry on her back to be more like the women in her tribe?
5. When Pretty-shield was stuck in the herd of running buffalo, what struck her in the face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pretty-shield state that the Crows could not all live together?
2. What was Pretty-shield's answer to the question that Linderman asked concerning how a man treated a married sister-in-law?
3. When Linderman was closing the damper on the big stove, what was he wondering about asking Pretty-shield?
4. In what ways were Pretty-shield's people tough?
5. In Chapter 4, what did the coyote tell the boy to do to get rid of Red-woman?
6. What was Pretty-shield's answer when Linderman asked if she had ever whipped her own children?
7. Describe what happened when Pretty-shield's mother chased after the horse that ran away from her.
8. What was Linderman's response when Pretty-shield inquired on what he wanted her to speak about?
9. What did Pretty-shield state the Crows are fond of doing, in Chapter 2?
10. What did Pretty-shield's buffalo horse do when she didn't shoot a calf they were chasing after?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the experiences that Pretty-shield had during her lifetime helped shape her into the person she was when Linderman interviewed her? Name one story from Pretty-shield's life and explain the personal attributes of Pretty-shield this contributed to.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Pretty-shield had an experience with a baby bear who had been scolded by his mother. What life lesson, or lessons, can the reader take away from this story? What did Pretty-shield learn from this experience? What did the baby bear learn from this experience, if he learned anything at all?
Essay Topic 3
Pretty-shield entrusted Linderman to make an account of her life and write about the Crow culture. Why do you think Pretty-shield trusted Linderman enough to do this? How did Pretty-shield communicate with Linderman, and do you think there were things in the stories that were lost because of the language barrier between them?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)