|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the "borrowed" baby in Chapter 5?
2. What was the medicine of the Crow wolf that Pretty-shield recognized high on a hill?
3. How many other times had Linderman been able to obtain tobacco seed from an Indian?
4. How old was Pretty-shield when Linderman interviewed her for the book?
5. What did Pretty-shield remember the trappers giving the Chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Pretty-shield and the other children made a pretend village, the village was so real that they felt they had to do what?
2. What did Pretty-shield do during the bear attack on the women picking berries?
3. Describe how Pretty-shield's kicking ball was made.
4. What are a couple of the things that Pretty-shield describes as being "strange things" in Crow country?
5. Describe how Pretty-shield received the scar on her forehead.
6. Describe what happened when Pretty-shield's mother chased after the horse that ran away from her.
7. What did Pretty-shield do when the girl in the calico dress suggested they take a swim in the creek?
8. Describe the kicking ball game that Pretty-shield talks about playing in Chapter 8.
9. In Chapter 4, what did the coyote tell the boy to do to get rid of Red-woman?
10. Why did Pretty-shield state that the Crows could not all live together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pretty-shield describe the way of life for Crows in modern day compared to life as it was growing up as a little girl? What things do you think Pretty-shield misses most about the Crow life as a child? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Pretty-shield entrusted Linderman to make an account of her life and write about the Crow culture. Why do you think Pretty-shield trusted Linderman enough to do this? How did Pretty-shield communicate with Linderman, and do you think there were things in the stories that were lost because of the language barrier between them?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, Pretty-shield mentions her medicine dream to Linderman. What did her dream involve, and what happened that led up to her receiving this medicine dream? What animal ended up being Pretty-shield's medicine and how does she describe them?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)