|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Crow wolf that Pretty-shield recognized high on a hill?
2. How many young women were sliding down the hill when Pretty-shield thought she saw a wolf from their tribe warn them of oncoming enemies?
3. How long did Pretty-shield's aunt keep her pet bears?
(a) Until they were three.
(b) Until they were one.
(c) Until they were five.
(d) Until they were two.
4. What was the name of Pretty-shield's mother?
5. What would a Crow man sometimes offer if he wanted a woman?
(b) Buffalo skins.
6. In the beginning of Chapter 1, what was Linderman making a fire in?
(a) An old-fashioned cannon stove.
(b) A copper fire pit.
(c) An old brick fireplace.
(d) In his old furnace.
7. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Pretty-shield mentioned to Linderman that she never tired of what?
(a) Raising children.
8. Pretty-shield's father belonged to The-war-clubs. What was The-war-clubs?
(a) A family gathering held every year.
(b) A secret society.
(c) A congregation of chiefs.
(d) A gaming club.
9. What did Pretty-shield claim are just like children?
(b) Lakota warriors.
(c) Old people.
10. How old was the baby that Pretty-shield and the other girls offered to take care of in Chapter 5?
(a) Eighteen months.
11. Where did Pretty-shield's father get his buffalo-horse from?
(a) He raised it from her grandmother's horse.
(b) He stole it from the Lakota.
(c) He found it abandoned by the river.
(d) He bought it from a trapper.
12. Why did Pretty-shield's mother stop a boy cousin from helping Pretty-shield?
(a) Because she could see that Pretty-shield's eye was going to come out if he pulled the digger out of her forehead.
(b) Because she could see that if Pretty-shield stood up she would faint.
(c) Because she could see that the digger was going to ruin Pretty-shield's nerves in her hand if he pulled it out.
(d) Because she could see if he helped Pretty-shield then the buffalo would charge them again.
13. What did Pretty-shield use to "attend to" one of her grandchild's noses?
(a) Her scarf.
(b) Her blanket.
(c) A used handkerchief.
(d) Her robe.
14. What was the name for a bowl-like, skin-covered boat?
15. What was the medicine of the Crow wolf that Pretty-shield recognized high on a hill?
(a) The grizzly bear.
(b) The buffalo bull.
(c) The eagle.
(d) The dragon-fly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kills-good use for drinking cups?
2. On what day of her life was Pretty-shield given her name?
3. What kind of dress was the girl wearing that asked Pretty-shield to come swimming with her?
4. What did Pretty-shield remember the trappers giving the Chief?
5. What was the boy eating in Chapter 4 when the coyote came to him?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)