|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bears did the men tie to the tree to keep Pretty-shield and the other girls in the trees?
2. On what day of her life was Pretty-shield given her name?
3. How old was the baby that Pretty-shield and the other girls offered to take care of in Chapter 5?
(a) Eighteen months.
4. What killed Pretty-shield's father?
(a) A mad buffalo bull.
(b) A grizzly bear.
(d) A Lakota warrior.
5. What did men in the tribe do when they grew too old to take care of themselves?
(a) They would sit in their cottage and tell stories and the young would take of them.
(b) They wandered off to enjoy the afterlife.
(c) They stayed in a cave and fought whatever animals they could find until they died.
(d) They dressed in their finest clothes and went to war against the enemy.
6. What did Pretty-shield do when her father's buckskin horse "took over"?
(a) She whipped him.
(b) She screamed.
(c) She laughed.
(d) She jumped off.
7. When the children were performing their sun dance, they used whistles. What were these whistles made of?
(a) The grass reeds from the river.
(b) The big bone of an eagle's wing.
(c) The quills of a porcupine.
(d) The antlers of an antelope.
8. Why did Pretty-shield's mother stop a boy cousin from helping Pretty-shield?
(a) Because she could see if he helped Pretty-shield then the buffalo would charge them again.
(b) Because she could see that the digger was going to ruin Pretty-shield's nerves in her hand if he pulled it out.
(c) Because she could see that if Pretty-shield stood up she would faint.
(d) Because she could see that Pretty-shield's eye was going to come out if he pulled the digger out of her forehead.
9. How many feathers did the coyote tell the boy to steal from Red-woman?
10. What was the name of the other girl that agreed to try to kill a buffalo calf with Pretty-Shield?
11. How many teeth did the buffalo cow have in front that Pretty-shield described as having something wrong with it?
12. Pretty-shield tells Linderman that one of the trappers had what kind of eyes?
13. What did Pretty-shield claim are just like children?
(a) Lakota warriors.
(c) Old people.
14. What was the name of the Crow wolf that Pretty-shield recognized high on a hill?
15. According to the coyote, what were the Red-woman's feathers?
(a) Her life.
(b) Her heart.
(c) Her footsteps.
(d) Her breath.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pretty-shield mentioned that Linderman always wanted her to tell him what when she was telling him stories?
2. How old was Pretty-shield when Linderman interviewed her for the book?
3. Who was the wife of the Crow chief who Pretty-shield wanted to emulate?
4. How many other times had Linderman been able to obtain tobacco seed from an Indian?
5. What month was Pretty-shield born in?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)