|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liane lists several strategies for people with AS to organize record keeping for the house including all of the following except _____.
2. Other strategies that Liane has for dealing with difficult conversations include all of the following except ______.
3. Liane describes an incident at ______ in which her daughter requested to be covered up by things to avoid sensory overload.
4. Liane lists several strategies for college students with AS to improve social skills including all of the following except _____.
5. Liane believes that people who don't need to know about your AS status include all of the following except _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons why people with AS should tell those around them about their diagnosis?
2. What happened to Liane when she was on a business trip in San Francisco with Tom?
3. What was Liane's emotional state after she found out that she and her daughter were indeed different from most of the people she associated with?
4. Liane states that she was often overwhelmed with the details that went with any activity for her kids. What happened during the Halloween party?
5. How does Liane describe the process of homemaking and all the challenges and difficulties contained therein?
6. What did Liane think about her aptitude as a parent and what were some of the challenges that she dealt with?
7. Why might it be important for a person with AS to tell those close to them about their diagnosis?
8. How does Liane describe the difficulties that she faced in communicating in a meaningful way with her husband Tom?
9. Liane described an event that stands out for her as particularly bizarre in which she forgot about picking up the twins from school. What happened?
10. What challenges did Liane experience when she wanted to do things with her babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book is PRETENDING TO BE NORMAL. The idea of normality is one of the biggest themes in this book.
Part 1: Is there a valid definition of what is normal for human behavior and experience? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is being normal something to celebrate? Why or why not? How does Willey feel about being "normal"?
Part 3: What are some ways to acknowledge the different experiences of people with AS without pathologizing?
Essay Topic 2
Liane states that she likes the linear, straight, definite, and balanced aspects of Tom's face.
Part 1: What parts of Liane do you think Tom loves or admires?
Part 2: What physical aspects of your loved ones do you notice the most?
Part 3: Is the fact that Liane appreciates the symmetry of Tom's face any less valid than appreciating another quality like warmth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Liane stated that one of the ways she channels her frustration about her AS is to educate people.
Part 1: What should people know about the challenges that those with AS face on a day to day basis?
Part 2: How would you educate people if you were diagnosed with AS?
Part 3: What policy changes need to occur at your school to better accommodate those with AS?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)