|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liane describes an incident at ______ in which her daughter requested to be covered up by things to avoid sensory overload.
2. Liane states that she has more difficulty recalling ______ than she does recounting facts.
3. During the birth process, Liane's husband Tom, _______ in the delivery room.
4. Liane states that she knew her _____ twin was going to be special even before she was born.
5. Some strategies for dealing with touch issues include all of the following except ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liane describe the difficulties that she faced in communicating in a meaningful way with her husband Tom?
2. What are some of the reasons why people with AS should not tell those around them about their diagnosis?
3. Why does Liane state at the beginning of the chapter that she knew right away her youngest daughter was special?
4. What happened to Liane when she was on a business trip in San Francisco with Tom?
5. What are some of the suggestions that Liane makes for those with AS to find a job that would fit their interests, abilities, and AS needs?
6. What happened when Liane went to an interview and her potential boss told her his favorite media company?
7. How does Liane describe the process of homemaking and all the challenges and difficulties contained therein?
8. What does Liane fear in terms of her ability to meet all of Tom's relationship needs?
9. What is Liane's major strategy for keeping the people, the mail, and the record keeping organized within the house?
10. What happens to Liane and her husband when the ultrasound technician tells them that she sees two heads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liane stated that it was difficult to accept the fact that she would be unable to navigate the world purely on her academic skills.
Part 1: Why is it important to develop several different skill areas to navigate life?
Part 2: Why do you think that Liane felt she should be able to get by on her academics alone?
Part 3: How do you imagine Tom navigates the world?
Essay Topic 2
Liane states that for a long time she felt she would not have a marriage or long term relationship because of her AS.
Part 1: What characteristics of Tom make it possible for him to have a relationship with Liane?
Part 2: Why is it so difficult for those with AS to find long term relationships?
Part 3: Why are steady relationships important? What are the main challenges within relationships that pull people apart?
Essay Topic 3
Liane stated that one of the ways she channels her frustration about her AS is to educate people.
Part 1: What should people know about the challenges that those with AS face on a day to day basis?
Part 2: How would you educate people if you were diagnosed with AS?
Part 3: What policy changes need to occur at your school to better accommodate those with AS?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)