|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The negative aspects of choosing to share with others about AS include all of the following except ______.
2. Liane suggests that AS people assign each member of the household a color to keep them organized for all of the following items except ______.
3. Liane realizes that her daughter's ways of ______ will be different from her own, especially since she has to grow up knowing something is wrong with her.
4. Other strategies that Liane has for dealing with difficult conversations include all of the following except ______.
5. Liane often worries about ______ her children, which can happen when she leaves in the middle of things.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Liane's major strategy for keeping the people, the mail, and the record keeping organized within the house?
2. Liane described an event that stands out for her as particularly bizarre in which she forgot about picking up the twins from school. What happened?
3. What are some of the suggestions that Liane makes for those with AS to find a job that would fit their interests, abilities, and AS needs?
4. Liane states that she was often overwhelmed with the details that went with any activity for her kids. What happened during the Halloween party?
5. What happened when Liane went to an interview and her potential boss told her his favorite media company?
6. What are some of the reasons why people with AS should tell those around them about their diagnosis?
7. What are some of the reasons why people with AS should not tell those around them about their diagnosis?
8. What challenges did Liane experience when she wanted to do things with her babies?
9. What were the qualities that Tom possessed that Liane feels helped keep the relationship together long enough to figure out the communication issues?
10. Why does Liane state at the beginning of the chapter that she knew right away her youngest daughter was special?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liane states that for a long time she felt she would not have a marriage or long term relationship because of her AS.
Part 1: What characteristics of Tom make it possible for him to have a relationship with Liane?
Part 2: Why is it so difficult for those with AS to find long term relationships?
Part 3: Why are steady relationships important? What are the main challenges within relationships that pull people apart?
Essay Topic 2
Liane stated that one of the ways she channels her frustration about her AS is to educate people.
Part 1: What should people know about the challenges that those with AS face on a day to day basis?
Part 2: How would you educate people if you were diagnosed with AS?
Part 3: What policy changes need to occur at your school to better accommodate those with AS?
Essay Topic 3
Liane relates several situations in which she becomes lost and feels bad about asking for help to find her way.
Part 1: What was Tom's experience when Liane got lost in San Francisco? How did he and Liane plan to deal with that situation in the future?
Part 2: Do people generally feel comfortable asking for help in situations like Liane's? Why or why not?
Part 3: What would have happened to Liane if she had not asked for help?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)