|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liane's friend suggested that Liane's daughter might be dealing with ________.
2. Liane has learned to ______ people who challenge the reality of the AS experience as a means of protecting herself.
3. Liane states that 'Aspies' have to be ______ and forthright, which can cause a certain amount of awkwardness.
4. Liane realizes that she tends to think very concretely and needs answers to be ______ or wrong.
5. Liane discovered that she was able to tolerate all of the following fabrics except ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liane describe the difficulties that she faced in communicating in a meaningful way with her husband Tom?
2. Why might it be important for a person with AS to tell those close to them about their diagnosis?
3. What happens to Liane and her husband when the ultrasound technician tells them that she sees two heads?
4. How does having a daughter that also has Asperger's Syndrome affect how Liane is able to parent?
5. Liane described an event that stands out for her as particularly bizarre in which she forgot about picking up the twins from school. What happened?
6. What are some of the reasons why people with AS should not tell those around them about their diagnosis?
7. How does Liane describe the process of homemaking and all the challenges and difficulties contained therein?
8. What does Liane fear in terms of her ability to meet all of Tom's relationship needs?
9. What happened when Liane went to an interview and her potential boss told her his favorite media company?
10. What were the warning signs that Liane noticed about her daughter that pointed to a diagnosis of Asperger's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liane described the three big activities in which she participated during high school: performing arts, pep squad, and swimming.
Part 1: Is it important to participate in activities during high school? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think the effect would have been if Liane had had a swimming coach who understood her challenges?
Part 3: What effect does participating in activities have on self esteem? Is this more important for people with AS? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Liane states that she accidentally discovered that she enjoyed working with clay and would spend long hours at the studio.
Part 1: How do you think Liane's art hobby supported her?
Part 2: What is the importance of having hobbies?
Part 3: Can anyone do art or is it only for people who have a special gift? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Liane had difficulties being a parent because of her sensory issues. Although other parents had some difficulties, they couldn't relate fully to her struggles.
Part 1: What would have been the impact on Liane's ability to parent if she had a support group of "Aspie" moms with whom to talk?
Part 2: What was Tom's experience of parenting as a result of Liane's challenges?
Part 3: Did Liane's sensory challenges impact the kids as they were growing and developing? Why or why not?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)