|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liane has learned to channel her frustration about the difficulties she and her daughter face into ______.
2. Liane states that the process of parenting could thoroughly overwhelm her _____ system, making it difficult for her to calm herself.
3. Some strategies for dealing with touch issues include all of the following except ______.
4. One of the communication problems that Liane encounters in their relationship is following her husband's ________.
5. Liane lists several strategies for college students with AS to help establish relationships with teachers including all of the following except _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liane state at the beginning of the chapter that she knew right away her youngest daughter was special?
2. What happened to Liane when she was on a business trip in San Francisco with Tom?
3. How does Liane describe the communication barrier that first existed between herself and her husband Tom?
4. What were the qualities that Tom possessed that Liane feels helped keep the relationship together long enough to figure out the communication issues?
5. How does having a daughter that also has Asperger's Syndrome affect how Liane is able to parent?
6. What happens to Liane and her husband when the ultrasound technician tells them that she sees two heads?
7. What are some of the reasons why people with AS should not tell those around them about their diagnosis?
8. Liane states that she was often overwhelmed with the details that went with any activity for her kids. What happened during the Halloween party?
9. Why might it be important for a person with AS to tell those close to them about their diagnosis?
10. According to Liane, why is it important for people with AS to have a strong support system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liane states that she accidentally discovered that she enjoyed working with clay and would spend long hours at the studio.
Part 1: How do you think Liane's art hobby supported her?
Part 2: What is the importance of having hobbies?
Part 3: Can anyone do art or is it only for people who have a special gift? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Liane discusses the fact that she has to keep a list of ways to keep Tom happy in their relationship.
Part 1: The list feels a bit contrived to Liane. Does the fact that it is somewhat contrived make it less valuable? Why or why not?
Part 2: The list is a kind of ritual for Liane. What are some other rituals people use to show they care for each other?
Part 3: Does the form of how people show affection for each other matter more than the action? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Liane states that for a long time she felt she would not have a marriage or long term relationship because of her AS.
Part 1: What characteristics of Tom make it possible for him to have a relationship with Liane?
Part 2: Why is it so difficult for those with AS to find long term relationships?
Part 3: Why are steady relationships important? What are the main challenges within relationships that pull people apart?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)