|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liane followed ______ to the letter, and words often meant more to her than actions.
2. One of the main interests Liane had was in ______ because of the fact that there were precise rules.
3. The book refers to Autism as being a ______ diagnosis, with a great deal of variation.
4. One day after arriving to class Liane was ______ by a man wearing a flannel shirt. He was interrupted by one of the students.
5. Liane made it a practice to discover what ______ her friends made for themselves and then to follow them when she was around them.
Short Essay Questions
1. Liane's grades in high school paved the way for a college education, and she thought that only a large university would fit her academic goals. What was her experience upon arriving?
2. What does Liane describe as being her major social hurdle once she was at the university?
3. After the attack by the ex-convict, what did Liane realize about her ability to discern people's intentions and human behavior?
4. Liane eventually found some success in expressing herself through the speech and dramatic arts club. What did she enjoy about speech?
5. What was one of Liane's biggest social challenges while she was still in high school?
6. What are some of the skills that Liane suggests people with AS need to learn in order to develop friendships?
7. What were some of the things that Liane liked about the ditto sheets that she would rummage through the trash to find?
8. When Liane left college she moved and got a job as an instructor for the university. What did she like about the job?
9. What social challenges did Liane describe about meeting people and wanting to give them small gifts of appreciation?
10. What was Liane able to determine about her peers and herself through studying their behaviors, dressing style, and beauty techniques?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liane states that she accidentally discovered that she enjoyed working with clay and would spend long hours at the studio.
Part 1: How do you think Liane's art hobby supported her?
Part 2: What is the importance of having hobbies?
Part 3: Can anyone do art or is it only for people who have a special gift? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Liane discusses the fact that she has to keep a list of ways to keep Tom happy in their relationship.
Part 1: The list feels a bit contrived to Liane. Does the fact that it is somewhat contrived make it less valuable? Why or why not?
Part 2: The list is a kind of ritual for Liane. What are some other rituals people use to show they care for each other?
Part 3: Does the form of how people show affection for each other matter more than the action? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Liane relates several situations in which she becomes lost and feels bad about asking for help to find her way.
Part 1: What was Tom's experience when Liane got lost in San Francisco? How did he and Liane plan to deal with that situation in the future?
Part 2: Do people generally feel comfortable asking for help in situations like Liane's? Why or why not?
Part 3: What would have happened to Liane if she had not asked for help?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)