|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to be able to maintain a normal conversation, Liane developed a strategy of ______ herself.
2. A young man invited her to go to a party but due to other responsibilities left her alone all night. She was unable to ______ like the other girls.
3. Liane created several ______ rituals that she performed in order to appear interested in a conversation.
4. Liane didn't realize for a long time that she thought about things others did not. She didn't feel ______ when others forgot her.
5. After completing her first ______ years of college, Liane went to a counselor who gave her very good advice about getting out and managing her life without apology.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liane describe as being her major social hurdle once she was at the university?
2. After the attack by the ex-convict, what did Liane realize about her ability to discern people's intentions and human behavior?
3. What are some of the skills that Liane suggests people with AS need to learn in order to develop friendships?
4. What were some of the challenges that Liane encountered in the ballet class that her mother enrolled her in?
5. Liane felt that she would have been an outcast amongst her peers if not for the special friendship of what person? Why was he important?
6. When Liane was in her first year of school, she was asked by her teacher to take a nap on her mat, but Liane refused. Why did she refuse?
7. When Liane left college she moved and got a job as an instructor for the university. What did she like about the job?
8. Why is it important to Liane Willey that people working with AS clients not focus too hard on melding them back into society?
9. Liane eventually found some success in expressing herself through the speech and dramatic arts club. What did she enjoy about speech?
10. Liane states that there are some people that have given her a real gift of freedom. What have these people done to give her this gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liane relates several situations in which she becomes lost and feels bad about asking for help to find her way.
Part 1: What was Tom's experience when Liane got lost in San Francisco? How did he and Liane plan to deal with that situation in the future?
Part 2: Do people generally feel comfortable asking for help in situations like Liane's? Why or why not?
Part 3: What would have happened to Liane if she had not asked for help?
Essay Topic 2
Liane remarks that she could have done better in high school if there were more rules about what she was supposed to do.
Part 1: What are the unspoken rules for being in high school? These kinds of rules can be thought of as taboo. How do you teach someone about taboo?
Part 2: If there had been an actual set of rules, could Liane have memorized them all? Would this have impacted her experience? Why or why not?
Part 3: Imagine that you were sent to another planet as an ambassador for Earth. How would you learn the rules of that culture? What might some of your challenges be?
Essay Topic 3
Liane states that for a long time she felt she would not have a marriage or long term relationship because of her AS.
Part 1: What characteristics of Tom make it possible for him to have a relationship with Liane?
Part 2: Why is it so difficult for those with AS to find long term relationships?
Part 3: Why are steady relationships important? What are the main challenges within relationships that pull people apart?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)