|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time she was eight years old, Liane was able to remember factual material very well but struggled with ______.
2. Liane followed ______ to the letter, and words often meant more to her than actions.
3. Asperger's syndrome is a mild form of the condition known as _______. Individuals with this disorder, have various prognoses, but contribute greatly to society.
4. Liane found that ______ were like another language that she had to learn, a process that often tired her.
5. Liane never had to ______ as a child and things like group dynamics made no sense to her.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one of Liane's biggest social challenges while she was still in high school?
2. What are some of the items that Liane describes having a taste for that eventually culminated in trips to the hospital?
3. Liane stated that the architecture building was her second favorite place to stop on campus. What was it about the building that fascinated her?
4. Liane's grades in high school paved the way for a college education, and she thought that only a large university would fit her academic goals. What was her experience upon arriving?
5. What were some of the ways that floating in water provided comfort to Liane when she was stressed or overwhelmed?
6. What does Liane describe as being one of her major challenges for interacting with her peers?
7. What are some of the major traits or characteristics of people who have Asperger's Syndrome?
8. What was Liane able to determine about her peers and herself through studying their behaviors, dressing style, and beauty techniques?
9. What social challenges did Liane describe about meeting people and wanting to give them small gifts of appreciation?
10. What are some of the AS behaviors that Liane feels interfered with her ability to make it through her classes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different perceptual experiences are one of the themes of this book.
Part 1: Do you think that some people experience their world differently than others? Why or why not?
Part 2: What are some examples of differing perceptual experiences that Liane and other people with AS encounter?
Part 3: How do Tom's experiences differ from Liane's?
Essay Topic 2
Liane states that she accidentally discovered that she enjoyed working with clay and would spend long hours at the studio.
Part 1: How do you think Liane's art hobby supported her?
Part 2: What is the importance of having hobbies?
Part 3: Can anyone do art or is it only for people who have a special gift? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Liane stated that it was difficult to accept the fact that she would be unable to navigate the world purely on her academic skills.
Part 1: Why is it important to develop several different skill areas to navigate life?
Part 2: Why do you think that Liane felt she should be able to get by on her academics alone?
Part 3: How do you imagine Tom navigates the world?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)