Lesson 1 (from Introduction)
One of the main reasons that Liane Willey wrote this book was to educate people about Autism spectrum disorders and Asperger's Syndrome in particular. Today's objective is to talk about Autism and Asperger's syndrome.
1. Have each student discuss what they personally know about Autism and Asperger's Syndrome. Do they know anyone famous who has one of these disorders?
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss what their personal experiences are with Autism spectrum disorders. Do they know anyone with a diagnosis on the spectrum? Do they have personal experience with social and communication difficulties?
3. As a class, have the students discuss facts and myths about Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.
4. Homework: Have each student research a famous person with an Autism spectrum disorder. What were their challenges? How did they overcome them?
5. Homework: Have students imagine how their life would be different if they had a spectrum...
This section contains 5,222 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)