|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prosecution states that it will not call ____________ as a witness.
2. Judge Lyttle has a history of attacking prosecutors and __________________ in court.
3. Why does Lip call Rusty at the end of Chapter 32?
4. After the trial, Sandy will be _______________________.
5. Who does Rusty learn is to be the star witness in the case against him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rusty recognize as the person who anonymously calls his house once a week and what favor does Rusty ask of him?
2. What incriminating information does Leon Wells give to Rusty and Lip about Carolyn and Larren Lyttle?
3. What does Lionel Kenneally tell Rusty that connects Larren Lyttle to Carolyn and Tommy Molto?
4. What does Rusty deduce about why Sandy was considering entering the B file into the trial?
5. What kindness does Marty Polhemus show to Rusty which, had he not, would have had bad consequences for him?
6. What impact does the missing glass have on Rusty's case at this point?
7. What does Rusty do in the weeks following the trial?
8. What are Rusty's thoughts about his father when Sandy mentions how Rusty met Horgan, and what do they mean regarding implications of the family influence on people?
9. What instruction does Judge Lyttle give to the jury regarding the missing glass and what does the fingerprint expert admit about other prints at the crime scene?
10. Why is the end of the trial so unsettling for the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Barbara. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Turow uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Rusty, Barbara and Nat. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)