|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the testimony of the person in #135, the judge instructs the jury that the absence of _______________ entitles them to raise reasonable doubt in their minds regarding Rusty's guilt.
2. Chapter 27 opens with the revelation that the prosecution cannot find _____________________.
3. Rusty's secretary testifies that she heard Rusty call Carolyn ____________________ during a phone conversation.
4. Which of the following is NOT something that Rusty worries about at the moment?
5. What does Rusty do when Horgan asks him who really killed Carolyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Late on the evening of the end of the trial, Rusty visits Sandy in his office. What does Rusty reveal to Sandy which could explain why Judge Lyttle abruptly ended the trial?
2. What is the significance of Rusty's dream about his mother in Chapter 25?
3. What instruction does Judge Lyttle give to the jury regarding the missing glass and what does the fingerprint expert admit about other prints at the crime scene?
4. On the first day of the trial, what does the defense say it has not had a chance to examine yet and who does the prosecution agree not to call during the trial?
5. How have innocence and simplicity leave the life of Rusty and his family?
6. What does Rusty recall about washing the murder weapon and how does Barbara behave to let the reader know that she is the murderer?
7. Why does the author raise the critical issue of Kumagai's testimony just as he had shown positive successes for the defense?
8. What does Lionel Kenneally tell Rusty that connects Larren Lyttle to Carolyn and Tommy Molto?
9. How does Sandy ruin Dr. Kumagai's career due to his testimony regarding the contraceptive jelly found with the sperm sample?
10. What does Rusty deduce about why Sandy was considering entering the B file into the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Turow's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
How does Turow use the literary technique of local color in PRESUMED INNOCENT? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Kindle County establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)