|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rusty thinks that it could hurt his case if _________________, Larren Lyttle's best friend, turns out to be a hostile witness.
2. Sandy decides to use a technique called ___________________ in which prosecutorial evidence can be admitted into evidence.
3. What does Lionel Kenneally tell Rusty when he meets him at the tavern?
4. Why do Rusty and Nat not stay for barbecue after a t-ball game when Summer comes?
5. Sandy requests that __________________ not be allowed on the prosecuting team because he is also on the witness list.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the end of the trial so unsettling for the reader?
2. What kindness does Marty Polhemus show to Rusty which, had he not, would have had bad consequences for him?
3. What does Rusty deduce about why Sandy was considering entering the B file into the trial?
4. What are Rusty's thoughts about his father when Sandy mentions how Rusty met Horgan, and what do they mean regarding implications of the family influence on people?
5. Late on the evening of the end of the trial, Rusty visits Sandy in his office. What does Rusty reveal to Sandy which could explain why Judge Lyttle abruptly ended the trial?
6. What does Rusty do in the weeks following the trial?
7. What are some of the elements that foreshadow an easier road than anticipated to Rusty's acquittal?
8. Who does Rusty recognize as the person who anonymously calls his house once a week and what favor does Rusty ask of him?
9. How do the testimonies of Eugenia, Mrs. Krapotnik and Horgan practically guarantee an acquittal for Rusty?
10. How do Horgan and Judge Lyttle react to legal situations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Carolyn was dead at the beginning of the novel, what can you understand about her from reading the book? Create a brief character study of Carolyn. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What else can you say about Carolyn?
Essay Topic 2
Turow uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Turow's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in PRESUMED INNOCENT.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)