|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was not found at Carolyn's murder scene?
2. Barbara has gone back to school to get her PhD in what subject?
3. What athletic event of his son's does Rusty attend?
4. How did Carolyn end her affair with Rusty?
5. Who is Della Guardia's chief lackey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Lip find about Leon Wells regarding his probation officer and the prosecuting attorney?
2. What are the two reasons that there is a delay in getting a computerized scan of the fingerprint evidence?
3. What is the double meaning of Rusty's telling Robinson that he was lost in his affair with Carolyn?
4. What are the circumstances in which Tommy Molto accuses Rusty of killing Carolyn?
5. Why was Rusty's infatuation with New Wave rock symbolic of his life at the time?
6. Why does Rusty tell Marty about his own father's neglect of him?
7. What is the most questionable piece of evidence that is mentioned--at least in Rusty's eyes?
8. What is the nature of the phone calls to Rusty's home that are listed in Carolyn's phone records?
9. How is the B file introduced into the novel?
10. What quality does Rusty attach to beautiful people like his own father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Turow is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
PRESUMED INNOCENT is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)