|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lipranzer's nickname?
2. Rusty and Carolyn had been working on a case in which a banker named Darryl McGaffen had a brother named ________________ who was laundering money through the bank.
3. Where does Horgan throw an election party for his constituents?
4. In what county does the story take place?
5. What does Rusty tell his psychiatrist about Carolyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Lip find about Leon Wells regarding his probation officer and the prosecuting attorney?
2. How does Rusty's attraction to Carolyn influence his closing statement in the Wendell McGaffen case?
3. What does Rusty reveal about his courtroom technique in "Opening Statement"?
4. Why did Carolyn most likely want Rusty to run for District Attorney instead of Horgan?
5. What is Barbara's reaction when she learns that Rusty will be working on Carolyn's murder case?
6. What crime scene evidence is revealed in Chapter 2?
7. What is the most questionable piece of evidence that is mentioned--at least in Rusty's eyes?
8. Who wins the District Attorney election and what does Horgan tell Rusty at his election day party?
9. What would lead Dr. Kumagai to believe that Carolyn's rapist was sterile?
10. What is the importance to the plot of Rusty's visits with his psychiatrist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Larren Lyttle. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Larren Lyttle's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Rusty, Barbara and Nat. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Even though Carolyn was dead at the beginning of the novel, what can you understand about her from reading the book? Create a brief character study of Carolyn. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What else can you say about Carolyn?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)