|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Horgan tell Rusty that he took the B file after Carolyn was killed?
(a) To protect Della Guardia.
(b) To protect Rusty.
(c) To protect Lyttle.
(d) To protect Carolyn's memory.
2. Why does Rusty not want Barbara to testify in court?
(a) He thinks she will turn on him.
(b) He doesn't want to put her through it.
(c) He thinks she will get flustered.
(d) He doesn't want her reputation ruined.
3. How many glasses are shown in a crime scene photo in court?
4. Who shows up at Carolyn's apartment while Rusty and Lip are inspecting it?
5. What does Sandy question Lip about when he takes the stand and is interrupted by the judge?
(a) The B file.
(b) Carolyn's lovers.
(c) Rusty's work record.
(d) The glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rusty has lunch with Horgan, Horgan promises _________________________.
2. Rusty's secretary testifies that she heard Rusty call Carolyn ____________________ during a phone conversation.
3. What fact has the prosecution not been able to establish in court?
4. Why did Sandy continually bring up the introduction of the B file into evidence during the trial?
5. Horgan believes that Rusty killed Carolyn ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. On the first day of the trial, what does the defense say it has not had a chance to examine yet and who does the prosecution agree not to call during the trial?
2. What incriminating information does Leon Wells give to Rusty and Lip about Carolyn and Larren Lyttle?
3. Describe the encounter between Rusty and Della Guardia several weeks after the trial?
4. How do Horgan and Judge Lyttle react to legal situations?
5. What instruction does Judge Lyttle give to the jury regarding the missing glass and what does the fingerprint expert admit about other prints at the crime scene?
6. Why is the end of the trial so unsettling for the reader?
7. Why does Horgan consider his relationship with Rusty to be over?
8. Why does the author raise the critical issue of Kumagai's testimony just as he had shown positive successes for the defense?
9. What does Rusty deduce about why Sandy was considering entering the B file into the trial?
10. What points of possible incrimination against himself does Rusty take mental note of?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)