|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Makepeace while Alvin worked?
2. What call did Alvin make so that Arthur knew it was Alvin?
3. Who does Arthur say picked him up and flew with him?
4. What did Reverend Philadelphia Thrower know about Cavil Planter?
5. Who does Alvin encounter on the road to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
2. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
3. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
4. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
5. What did Peggy refuse to name?
6. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
7. What did Alvin and Measure teach each other?
8. What did Alvin begin to notice, working at the smithy?
9. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
10. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the way the Red man, or Native Americans are talked about in this novel. References to the Native Americans are mostly spoken of in what tense? What does this lead the reader to believing in regards to the timeline?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
Essay Topic 3
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)