|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Peggy go and advance her schooling?
2. What was the first word Arthur spelled out?
3. Who got out of Dr. Physicker's carriage first?
4. What is "behind the barn' talk?
5. What was the alternative to the manacles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
2. What did Peggy refuse to name?
3. Why was everyone talking so friendly with the Finders? How did Alvin feel about them, and their flattery?
4. What might Peggy have said if she had gotten a chance, before her mama died?
5. Why did Alvin figure Mock Berry didn't thank him for getting him a fair price?
6. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
7. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
8. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
9. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
10. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way the Red man, or Native Americans are talked about in this novel. References to the Native Americans are mostly spoken of in what tense? What does this lead the reader to believing in regards to the timeline?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the slave girl had an impact on Little Peggy. What did the slave girl bring to light in little Peggy, and how did this impact Peggy's life in a positive manner? What might have occurred had the slave girl never appeared?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)