|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alvin want to do with his journeyman piece?
2. What did Alvin admit to Miss Larner?
3. Why didn't Peggy look into the heartfires of the townsfolk?
4. What word is a sure sign of ignorance and stupidity, according to the teacher?
5. What did Alvin reckon he was hexing up the springhouse for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Alvin's argument about some people having a knack to be a Finder?
2. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
3. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
4. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
5. Why didn't Alvin think that people were the product of God's imagination?
6. Why didn't Alvin want to take away Mike Fink's protective hex? Why did he have to?
7. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
8. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
9. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
10. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Makepeace's treatment of Alvin while he was an indentured apprentice. What measures have come into place since Alvin's time to protect the interests of apprentices in North America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Old Peg's feelings of Miss Larner before and after she had spoken with her. What comments swayed the opinion of Peggy's mother towards actually liking Miss Larner or at least caused her to hold the woman in a better light?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stereotypes that the Berry's reinforced in order to keep Arthur Stuart safe. How did their reputations pay a price when Arthur Stuart came about? Was this a fair trade for the security of the boy?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)