|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cavil think to do to win the Overseers' approval?
2. What thing didn't Alvin dream of?
3. What does Alvin say to the river rats in order to get them to put away their knives?
4. What did Hank think Makepeace was doing?
5. How many years did Makepeace steal from Alvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident caused Peggy to reveal herself as being who she really was?
2. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
3. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
4. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
5. Why did Alvin figure Mock Berry didn't thank him for getting him a fair price?
6. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
7. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
8. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
9. Why was Old Peg Guester so upset that Arthur Stuart couldn't be taught at the schoolhouse?
10. How did Alvin feel about women after witnessing the relationships of the Smiths and Guesters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
Essay Topic 3
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)