|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only thing keeping Arthur from going to school?
2. When had Arthur last seen the boat?
3. What did Makepeace attempt to give back to Hank?
4. Why did Old Peg Guester pack her things along with Arthur Stuarts'?
5. Which of the men didn't want Arthur in the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
2. Why didn't Alvin think that people were the product of God's imagination?
3. Why was Mistress Modesty so upset?
4. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
5. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
6. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
7. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
8. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
9. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
10. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the stereotypes that the Berry's reinforced in order to keep Arthur Stuart safe. How did their reputations pay a price when Arthur Stuart came about? Was this a fair trade for the security of the boy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peggy's feelings for Alvin. Are they realistic? Why or why not? Explain how her future changes as Alvin finally loves her, not a boyish kind of love, but that of a man, and how it would have been had Peggy stayed in Hatrack.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Mistress Modesty. What role does she play in the story? Was this role crucial to the plot development? Why or why not? Is it likely she will feature a part in a future episode? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)