|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Larner charge to tutor Alvin?
2. What thing didn't Alvin dream of?
3. Who steps up against Alvin?
4. Which Finder did Old Peg kill?
5. How much change did Vanderwoort give Mock Berry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Alvin's argument about some people having a knack to be a Finder?
2. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
3. Why was Old Peg Guester so upset that Arthur Stuart couldn't be taught at the schoolhouse?
4. What did Alvin and Measure teach each other?
5. Why was Old Peg fearful of the Fugitive Slave Treaty?
6. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
7. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
8. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
9. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
10. Why didn't Alvin want to take away Mike Fink's protective hex? Why did he have to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's behavior at Hatrack Mouth as gallant heroism, or unabashed brutality. Document your opinion either utilizing Alvin's opinion of himself while he was playing up to the river rats, or Miss Larner's behavior after he had defended her honor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peggy's feelings for Alvin. Are they realistic? Why or why not? Explain how her future changes as Alvin finally loves her, not a boyish kind of love, but that of a man, and how it would have been had Peggy stayed in Hatrack.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the newer forms of technology that are talked about in the novel for the era that the novel was set. What are some of the newer ideas, concepts, and things that are discussed when the reader takes into account that the novel was set in the early 1800s?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)