|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alvin admit to Miss Larner?
2. What did Miss Larner want in payment for teaching Arthur Stuart?
3. Why must Peggy go and advance her schooling?
4. What didn't Alvin want to fill Arthur Stuart's head with?
5. Why did Miss Larner wish to bring poetry to Hatrack River?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
2. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
3. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
4. What was Alvin's argument about some people having a knack to be a Finder?
5. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
6. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
7. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
8. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
9. Why didn't Alvin think that people were the product of God's imagination?
10. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Measure's relationship with Delphi to any other relationship in the book. Explain what specifically makes them different. How does Measure make Delphi feel? How is this evident in the authors description? What about Makepeace and Gertie? Horace and Old Peg?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of slavery in this book. How has slavery become a tender topic of American history? What are some of the main human rights violations that occur while a slave is indentured to his or her master?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)