|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who showed up with the Finders?
2. Why would the black haired finder like to kill the smith?
3. Where does it hurt on Arthur Stuart?
4. What did Cavil think to do to win the Overseers' approval?
5. What did Miss Larner want in payment for teaching Arthur Stuart?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
2. Why did Alvin figure Mock Berry didn't thank him for getting him a fair price?
3. Why didn't Alvin want to take away Mike Fink's protective hex? Why did he have to?
4. What was Alvin's argument about some people having a knack to be a Finder?
5. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
6. Why was Old Peg Guester so upset that Arthur Stuart couldn't be taught at the schoolhouse?
7. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
8. Why was Old Peg fearful of the Fugitive Slave Treaty?
9. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
10. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Old Peg's feelings of Miss Larner before and after she had spoken with her. What comments swayed the opinion of Peggy's mother towards actually liking Miss Larner or at least caused her to hold the woman in a better light?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way the Red man, or Native Americans are talked about in this novel. References to the Native Americans are mostly spoken of in what tense? What does this lead the reader to believing in regards to the timeline?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exchange of information that occurs between Measure and Alvin at the end of the novel. How do each benefit from the knowledge the other is willing to teach? Whose knowledge is more specific to certain circumstance? Explain.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)