|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only thing keeping Arthur from going to school?
2. What did Gertie Smith give Alvin to munch on?
3. What did Alvin say to Arthur as he locked the manacles?
4. Why must Peggy go and advance her schooling?
5. What had Alvin accomplished by saying he did the work on the springhouse in his "free time"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
2. Why was Mistress Modesty so upset?
3. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
4. Why didn't Alvin want to take away Mike Fink's protective hex? Why did he have to?
5. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
6. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
7. What might Peggy have said if she had gotten a chance, before her mama died?
8. How did Alvin feel about women after witnessing the relationships of the Smiths and Guesters?
9. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
10. What did Alvin begin to notice, working at the smithy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the exchange of information that occurs between Measure and Alvin at the end of the novel. How do each benefit from the knowledge the other is willing to teach? Whose knowledge is more specific to certain circumstance? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Makepeace's treatment of Alvin while he was an indentured apprentice. What measures have come into place since Alvin's time to protect the interests of apprentices in North America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Old Peg's feelings of Miss Larner before and after she had spoken with her. What comments swayed the opinion of Peggy's mother towards actually liking Miss Larner or at least caused her to hold the woman in a better light?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)