|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Peggy look into the heartfires of the townsfolk?
2. What did Miss Larner want in payment for teaching Arthur Stuart?
3. Who did Alvin end up telling about the plow?
4. Who does Alvin encounter on the road to town?
5. What did Makepeace attempt to give back to Hank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alvin feel about women after witnessing the relationships of the Smiths and Guesters?
2. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
3. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
4. Why didn't Alvin think that people were the product of God's imagination?
5. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
6. What might Peggy have said if she had gotten a chance, before her mama died?
7. Why was Old Peg Guester so upset that Arthur Stuart couldn't be taught at the schoolhouse?
8. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
9. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
10. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Makepeace's treatment of Alvin while he was an indentured apprentice. What measures have come into place since Alvin's time to protect the interests of apprentices in North America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of slavery in this book. How has slavery become a tender topic of American history? What are some of the main human rights violations that occur while a slave is indentured to his or her master?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stereotypes that the Berry's reinforced in order to keep Arthur Stuart safe. How did their reputations pay a price when Arthur Stuart came about? Was this a fair trade for the security of the boy?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)