|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Old Peg offer for the reason that her son isn't allowed in the school?
2. What did Reverend Philadelphia Thrower know about Cavil Planter?
3. Who did Alvin end up telling about the plow?
4. Who was now more important than Peggy in Alvin's future?
5. Why didn't Peggy look into the heartfires of the townsfolk?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons did Alvin make the manacles, and why didn't he put them in water to cool?
2. Why was Mistress Modesty so upset?
3. How did Alvin feel about women after witnessing the relationships of the Smiths and Guesters?
4. Why was everyone talking so friendly with the Finders? How did Alvin feel about them, and their flattery?
5. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
6. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
7. Why didn't Alvin want to take away Mike Fink's protective hex? Why did he have to?
8. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
9. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
10. What did Alvin begin to notice, working at the smithy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Overseer as being synonymous with the Devil. What information lets the reader know that the Overseer is supposed to be the representation of the devil?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of slavery in this book. How has slavery become a tender topic of American history? What are some of the main human rights violations that occur while a slave is indentured to his or her master?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Alvin's deteriorated relationship with Cally. What does this deterioration show about Cally's character, and what does it reveal about Alvin's? Could this relationship be salvaged by Alvin? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)