|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the men didn't want Arthur in the school?
2. What call did Alvin make so that Arthur knew it was Alvin?
3. What does Peggy aspire to be?
4. What did Dolores and Cavil fear?
5. What did Alvin say to Arthur as he locked the manacles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Peggy have said if she had gotten a chance, before her mama died?
2. How did Alvin feel about women after witnessing the relationships of the Smiths and Guesters?
3. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
4. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
5. What incident caused Peggy to reveal herself as being who she really was?
6. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
7. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
8. What was Alvin's argument about some people having a knack to be a Finder?
9. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
10. What did Alvin and Measure teach each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mistress Modesty. What role does she play in the story? Was this role crucial to the plot development? Why or why not? Is it likely she will feature a part in a future episode? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)