|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Alvin's first Making?
2. What does Cavil consider righteousness?
3. What does Alvin want to do with his journeyman piece?
4. Who slammed the door to the springhouse?
5. What was the only thing keeping Arthur from going to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
2. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
3. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
4. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
5. Why didn't Alvin want to take away Mike Fink's protective hex? Why did he have to?
6. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
7. Why was Mistress Modesty so upset?
8. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
9. What might Peggy have said if she had gotten a chance, before her mama died?
10. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Mistress Modesty. What role does she play in the story? Was this role crucial to the plot development? Why or why not? Is it likely she will feature a part in a future episode? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exchange of information that occurs between Measure and Alvin at the end of the novel. How do each benefit from the knowledge the other is willing to teach? Whose knowledge is more specific to certain circumstance? Explain.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)