|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alvin do when a bear gets in his way?
2. Who does Arthur say picked him up and flew with him?
3. What was the first word Arthur spelled out?
4. What does Peggy aspire to be?
5. What excuse does Old Peg offer for the reason that her son isn't allowed in the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
2. How did Alvin feel about women after witnessing the relationships of the Smiths and Guesters?
3. Why didn't Alvin want to take away Mike Fink's protective hex? Why did he have to?
4. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
5. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
6. What did Peggy refuse to name?
7. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
8. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
9. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
10. Why was Old Peg fearful of the Fugitive Slave Treaty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the exchange of information that occurs between Measure and Alvin at the end of the novel. How do each benefit from the knowledge the other is willing to teach? Whose knowledge is more specific to certain circumstance? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the newer forms of technology that are talked about in the novel for the era that the novel was set. What are some of the newer ideas, concepts, and things that are discussed when the reader takes into account that the novel was set in the early 1800s?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)