|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many points did Alvin's hexes have?
2. Why did Alvin have to change all the signatures at once?
3. What did Gertie Smith give Alvin to munch on?
4. What call did Alvin make so that Arthur knew it was Alvin?
5. What word is a sure sign of ignorance and stupidity, according to the teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
2. What did Alvin begin to notice, working at the smithy?
3. Why was Mistress Modesty so upset?
4. What did Peggy refuse to name?
5. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
6. Why did Alvin figure Mock Berry didn't thank him for getting him a fair price?
7. Why was Old Peg fearful of the Fugitive Slave Treaty?
8. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
9. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
10. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mistress Modesty's statement "much of what is best in me, your father gave me" in reference to Horace Guester. What did she mean by this, and how is this revealed to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way the Red man, or Native Americans are talked about in this novel. References to the Native Americans are mostly spoken of in what tense? What does this lead the reader to believing in regards to the timeline?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Mistress Modesty. What role does she play in the story? Was this role crucial to the plot development? Why or why not? Is it likely she will feature a part in a future episode? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)