|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Makepeace steal from Alvin?
2. What was worse pain than what Dolores was suffering?
3. Who lost their job in Hatrack?
4. Who does Arthur say picked him up and flew with him?
5. What kind of birds' nests were in the Hatrack bridge eaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident caused Peggy to reveal herself as being who she really was?
2. What did Alvin and Measure teach each other?
3. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
4. What did Alvin begin to notice, working at the smithy?
5. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
6. Why was everyone talking so friendly with the Finders? How did Alvin feel about them, and their flattery?
7. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
8. Why didn't Alvin think that people were the product of God's imagination?
9. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
10. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's deteriorated relationship with Cally. What does this deterioration show about Cally's character, and what does it reveal about Alvin's? Could this relationship be salvaged by Alvin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's behavior at Hatrack Mouth as gallant heroism, or unabashed brutality. Document your opinion either utilizing Alvin's opinion of himself while he was playing up to the river rats, or Miss Larner's behavior after he had defended her honor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stereotypes that the Berry's reinforced in order to keep Arthur Stuart safe. How did their reputations pay a price when Arthur Stuart came about? Was this a fair trade for the security of the boy?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)