|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arthur say picked him up and flew with him?
2. Why did Miss Larner wish to bring poetry to Hatrack River?
3. What does Alvin say to the river rats in order to get them to put away their knives?
4. What errand was Alvin on for Makepeace?
5. Why does Peggy want to go to Philadelphia?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why having her own suite was so important to Miss Larner. What couldn't she have done while living at the roadhouse? Why did this desire to live alone so upset Old Peg?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Measure's relationship with Delphi to any other relationship in the book. Explain what specifically makes them different. How does Measure make Delphi feel? How is this evident in the authors description? What about Makepeace and Gertie? Horace and Old Peg?
Essay Topic 3
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)