|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Makepeace while Alvin worked?
2. What didn't Alvin want to fill Arthur Stuart's head with?
3. What did Arthur do to the palm that had killed the other Finder?
4. What kind of birds' nests were in the Hatrack bridge eaves?
5. Where does it hurt on Arthur Stuart?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
2. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
3. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
4. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
5. What did Alvin begin to notice, working at the smithy?
6. What did Alvin and Measure teach each other?
7. For what reasons did Alvin make the manacles, and why didn't he put them in water to cool?
8. What incident caused Peggy to reveal herself as being who she really was?
9. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
10. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the slave girl had an impact on Little Peggy. What did the slave girl bring to light in little Peggy, and how did this impact Peggy's life in a positive manner? What might have occurred had the slave girl never appeared?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's deteriorated relationship with Cally. What does this deterioration show about Cally's character, and what does it reveal about Alvin's? Could this relationship be salvaged by Alvin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mistress Modesty's statement "much of what is best in me, your father gave me" in reference to Horace Guester. What did she mean by this, and how is this revealed to the reader?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)