|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the alternative to the manacles?
2. What was Pauley Wiseman's main objection to Miss Larner living on her own?
3. What does Alvin want from the new schoolteacher?
4. How did Alvin know Po Doggly and Horace Guester had worked together many times before?
5. What does Miss Larner charge to tutor Alvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
2. Why was Mistress Modesty so upset?
3. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
4. What might Peggy have said if she had gotten a chance, before her mama died?
5. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
6. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
7. What was Alvin's argument about some people having a knack to be a Finder?
8. What did Alvin begin to notice, working at the smithy?
9. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
10. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Mistress Modesty. What role does she play in the story? Was this role crucial to the plot development? Why or why not? Is it likely she will feature a part in a future episode? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Overseer as being synonymous with the Devil. What information lets the reader know that the Overseer is supposed to be the representation of the devil?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the slave girl had an impact on Little Peggy. What did the slave girl bring to light in little Peggy, and how did this impact Peggy's life in a positive manner? What might have occurred had the slave girl never appeared?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)