|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Alvin having difficulties grasping the theory regarding atoms?
2. How many years did Makepeace steal from Alvin?
3. Which Finder did Old Peg kill?
4. What did Alvin reckon he was hexing up the springhouse for?
5. Where was Makepeace while Alvin worked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alvin and Measure teach each other?
2. What did Peggy refuse to name?
3. What incident caused Peggy to reveal herself as being who she really was?
4. How did Alvin feel about women after witnessing the relationships of the Smiths and Guesters?
5. Why didn't Alvin think that people were the product of God's imagination?
6. What was Alvin's argument about some people having a knack to be a Finder?
7. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
8. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
9. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
10. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's deteriorated relationship with Cally. What does this deterioration show about Cally's character, and what does it reveal about Alvin's? Could this relationship be salvaged by Alvin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way the Red man, or Native Americans are talked about in this novel. References to the Native Americans are mostly spoken of in what tense? What does this lead the reader to believing in regards to the timeline?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)