|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who slammed the door to the springhouse?
2. Where does it hurt on Arthur Stuart?
3. Who does Alvin encounter on the road to town?
4. What had Alvin accomplished by saying he did the work on the springhouse in his "free time"?
5. What did Dolores and Cavil fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons did Alvin make the manacles, and why didn't he put them in water to cool?
2. What did the changes Alvin made in Arthur Stuart do to his heartfire and futures according to Peggy?
3. Why was everyone talking so friendly with the Finders? How did Alvin feel about them, and their flattery?
4. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
5. Why did Alvin figure Mock Berry didn't thank him for getting him a fair price?
6. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
7. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
8. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
9. What incident caused Peggy to reveal herself as being who she really was?
10. What did Peggy refuse to name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's deteriorated relationship with Cally. What does this deterioration show about Cally's character, and what does it reveal about Alvin's? Could this relationship be salvaged by Alvin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)