|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who showed up with the Finders?
2. Why must Peggy go and advance her schooling?
3. Why was the delivery book another slight?
4. What decision did Peggy come to in Goodwife?
5. Why didn't Cavil grieve for the death of the Finders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Peggy refuse to name?
2. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
3. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
4. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
5. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
6. What led Alvin to believe that Pieter Vanderwoort wanted Alvin's good opinion more than to get even? How did Alvin know he was basically a good man?
7. Why was Mistress Modesty so upset?
8. For what reasons did Alvin make the manacles, and why didn't he put them in water to cool?
9. Why was Old Peg Guester so upset that Arthur Stuart couldn't be taught at the schoolhouse?
10. What kinds of things did Alvin do around the springhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's behavior at Hatrack Mouth as gallant heroism, or unabashed brutality. Document your opinion either utilizing Alvin's opinion of himself while he was playing up to the river rats, or Miss Larner's behavior after he had defended her honor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Makepeace's treatment of Alvin while he was an indentured apprentice. What measures have come into place since Alvin's time to protect the interests of apprentices in North America?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)