|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of emotions did Horace Guester's name bring about in Mistress Modesty?
2. What name hadn't the visitor been called?
3. What had Cavil never seen anything so graceful as?
4. What was the wrong thing for Hank to say?
5. Why did Alvin lay down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Berry's saying that this half white child was theirs was the best bet to ensure the child's survival?
2. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
3. What did Alvin begin to notice, working at the smithy?
4. Why did Alvin figure Mock Berry didn't thank him for getting him a fair price?
5. What monster was little Peggy running from, and how did Alvin know?
6. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
7. Why didn't Alvin think that people were the product of God's imagination?
8. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
9. What did Peggy refuse to name?
10. What incident caused Peggy to reveal herself as being who she really was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Old Peg's feelings of Miss Larner before and after she had spoken with her. What comments swayed the opinion of Peggy's mother towards actually liking Miss Larner or at least caused her to hold the woman in a better light?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stereotypes that the Berry's reinforced in order to keep Arthur Stuart safe. How did their reputations pay a price when Arthur Stuart came about? Was this a fair trade for the security of the boy?
This section contains 1,717 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)