|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Peggy hitch a ride with?
2. What did the Unmaker do while Alvin was in the forest?
3. What did Alvin think of Makepeace?
4. What does the African slave girl think Peggy's voice belongs to?
5. What was it that Hank realized with Alvin close?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Old Peg fearful of the Fugitive Slave Treaty?
2. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
3. How does Old Peg feel initially about the teacher?
4. What might Peggy have said if she had gotten a chance, before her mama died?
5. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
6. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
7. Why was Old Peg Guester so upset that Arthur Stuart couldn't be taught at the schoolhouse?
8. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
9. What did Peggy refuse to name?
10. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's deteriorated relationship with Cally. What does this deterioration show about Cally's character, and what does it reveal about Alvin's? Could this relationship be salvaged by Alvin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Overseer as being synonymous with the Devil. What information lets the reader know that the Overseer is supposed to be the representation of the devil?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
This section contains 1,727 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)