|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Unmaker do while Alvin was in the forest?
2. What did Alvin think about when he had woken?
3. What did Dolores' hands look like?
4. Who else does the girl hate like she hates the White boss?
5. Where was Peggy headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
2. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
3. What was the Unmaker's tool in the land?
4. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
5. For what reasons did Cavil find himself cursed?
6. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
7. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
8. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
9. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
10. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way the Red man, or Native Americans are talked about in this novel. References to the Native Americans are mostly spoken of in what tense? What does this lead the reader to believing in regards to the timeline?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Peggy's feelings for Alvin. Are they realistic? Why or why not? Explain how her future changes as Alvin finally loves her, not a boyish kind of love, but that of a man, and how it would have been had Peggy stayed in Hatrack.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)