|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the lowest kind of creature do?
2. What is Cavil to do?
3. What shouldn't Hank bring up at the Guester's roadhouse?
4. What "lie" did Alvin tell his new master, Makepeace Smith?
5. In what way was Peggy and Mistress Modesty both not a part of the masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
2. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
3. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
4. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
5. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
6. For what reasons did Cavil find himself cursed?
7. Why does Horace need his secret kept, and why is it in the best interests of Alvin not to tell his secret?
8. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
9. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
10. What action shocked the traveling priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Makepeace's treatment of Alvin while he was an indentured apprentice. What measures have come into place since Alvin's time to protect the interests of apprentices in North America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peggy's feelings for Alvin. Are they realistic? Why or why not? Explain how her future changes as Alvin finally loves her, not a boyish kind of love, but that of a man, and how it would have been had Peggy stayed in Hatrack.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why having her own suite was so important to Miss Larner. What couldn't she have done while living at the roadhouse? Why did this desire to live alone so upset Old Peg?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)