|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment did Makepeace have for the water from the well Alvin dug?
2. What is it that a torch does?
3. What did Dolores' hands look like?
4. What did Alvin hear?
5. What did the Unmaker never do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
2. How did he treat his slaves following the appearance of his visitor?
3. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
4. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
5. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
6. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
7. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
8. What action shocked the traveling priest?
9. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
10. Why was the Berry's saying that this half white child was theirs was the best bet to ensure the child's survival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Alvin's behavior at Hatrack Mouth as gallant heroism, or unabashed brutality. Document your opinion either utilizing Alvin's opinion of himself while he was playing up to the river rats, or Miss Larner's behavior after he had defended her honor.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)