|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alvin first think when he saw the blacksmith?
2. Why did Alvin give his boots away?
3. What comment did Makepeace have for the water from the well Alvin dug?
4. What shouldn't Hank bring up at the Guester's roadhouse?
5. What name did Cavil cry out that made his visitor recoil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
2. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
3. How did he treat his slaves following the appearance of his visitor?
4. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
5. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
6. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
7. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
8. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
9. What kinds of things told Cavil clearly what profession his visitor occupied?
10. Why was the Berry's saying that this half white child was theirs was the best bet to ensure the child's survival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Peggy's feelings for Alvin. Are they realistic? Why or why not? Explain how her future changes as Alvin finally loves her, not a boyish kind of love, but that of a man, and how it would have been had Peggy stayed in Hatrack.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)