|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mistress Modesty imagine when she thought of Peggy's pain?
2. How did Peggy feel she spoke?
3. What did Old Peg Guester name the Black boy-baby?
4. Who was sleeping upstairs?
5. What did Alvin invite when he dug in anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
2. Why did Alvin figure Mock Berry didn't thank him for getting him a fair price?
3. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
4. What did Peggy refuse to name?
5. What excuses were offered to Old Peg to try and talk sense into her?
6. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
7. Why did Pauley Wiseman work so quickly to get Arthur out of town?
8. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
9. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
10. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of slavery in this book. How has slavery become a tender topic of American history? What are some of the main human rights violations that occur while a slave is indentured to his or her master?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the slave girl had an impact on Little Peggy. What did the slave girl bring to light in little Peggy, and how did this impact Peggy's life in a positive manner? What might have occurred had the slave girl never appeared?
This section contains 1,728 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)