|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much had Cavil bought his new girl for?
2. What did Cavil start to think?
3. What kind of emotions did Horace Guester's name bring about in Mistress Modesty?
4. What did the Prophet show Alvin?
5. What was this thing for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things told Cavil clearly what profession his visitor occupied?
2. Why couldn't Alvin simply fill the well that he had dug and make Hank Dowsers' well good?
3. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
4. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
5. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
6. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
7. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
8. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
9. What monster was little Peggy running from, and how did Alvin know?
10. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the slave girl had an impact on Little Peggy. What did the slave girl bring to light in little Peggy, and how did this impact Peggy's life in a positive manner? What might have occurred had the slave girl never appeared?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
Essay Topic 3
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)