|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Makepeace say in regards to Alvin?
2. What is Horace Guester's knack?
3. What is Cavil to do?
4. Why did the Lord choose men to do his bidding?
5. How had Arthur Stuart been with Alvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
2. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
3. Why couldn't Alvin simply fill the well that he had dug and make Hank Dowsers' well good?
4. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
5. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
6. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
7. What monster was little Peggy running from, and how did Alvin know?
8. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
9. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
10. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Peggy's feelings for Alvin. Are they realistic? Why or why not? Explain how her future changes as Alvin finally loves her, not a boyish kind of love, but that of a man, and how it would have been had Peggy stayed in Hatrack.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stereotypes that the Berry's reinforced in order to keep Arthur Stuart safe. How did their reputations pay a price when Arthur Stuart came about? Was this a fair trade for the security of the boy?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)