|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment did Makepeace have for the water from the well Alvin dug?
2. What name did Cavil cry out that made his visitor recoil?
3. What did the Unmaker never do?
4. What was the wrong thing for Hank to say?
5. What was a mistake among women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
2. What had White folk found a way to calculate?
3. What kinds of things told Cavil clearly what profession his visitor occupied?
4. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
5. Why didn't Alvin want to take away Mike Fink's protective hex? Why did he have to?
6. What was Alvin's argument about some people having a knack to be a Finder?
7. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
8. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
9. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
10. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
Essay Topic 1
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the slave girl had an impact on Little Peggy. What did the slave girl bring to light in little Peggy, and how did this impact Peggy's life in a positive manner? What might have occurred had the slave girl never appeared?
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)