|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alvin invite when he dug in anger?
2. What did Delores see in her husbands face?
3. How much had Cavil bought his new girl for?
4. What does the African slave girl think Peggy's voice belongs to?
5. What name hadn't the visitor been called?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did he treat his slaves following the appearance of his visitor?
2. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
3. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
4. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
5. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
6. What action shocked the traveling priest?
7. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
8. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
9. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
10. What did Hank understand in regards to Alvin that he wouldn't have otherwise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the exchange of information that occurs between Measure and Alvin at the end of the novel. How do each benefit from the knowledge the other is willing to teach? Whose knowledge is more specific to certain circumstance? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peggy's feelings for Alvin. Are they realistic? Why or why not? Explain how her future changes as Alvin finally loves her, not a boyish kind of love, but that of a man, and how it would have been had Peggy stayed in Hatrack.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why having her own suite was so important to Miss Larner. What couldn't she have done while living at the roadhouse? Why did this desire to live alone so upset Old Peg?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)