|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dolores ask for Cavil to do?
2. Why did Alvin lay down?
3. What does the African slave girl think Peggy's voice belongs to?
4. Who did Peggy figure could have saved the slave girl?
5. What did Cavil start to think?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things told Cavil clearly what profession his visitor occupied?
2. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
3. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
4. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
5. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
6. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
7. How did he treat his slaves following the appearance of his visitor?
8. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
9. What had White folk found a way to calculate?
10. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's deteriorated relationship with Cally. What does this deterioration show about Cally's character, and what does it reveal about Alvin's? Could this relationship be salvaged by Alvin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's behavior at Hatrack Mouth as gallant heroism, or unabashed brutality. Document your opinion either utilizing Alvin's opinion of himself while he was playing up to the river rats, or Miss Larner's behavior after he had defended her honor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)