|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What document did Appalachee sign?
2. What was the most difficult lesson Mistress Modesty had taught Peggy?
3. What secret does Alvin wish for Horace to keep?
4. What does Mistress Modesty ask Peggy to be?
5. Why can't Peggy send the Unmaker away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hank understand in regards to Alvin that he wouldn't have otherwise?
2. What was the Unmaker's tool in the land?
3. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
4. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
5. What action shocked the traveling priest?
6. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
7. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
8. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
9. What had White folk found a way to calculate?
10. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of slavery in this book. How has slavery become a tender topic of American history? What are some of the main human rights violations that occur while a slave is indentured to his or her master?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Makepeace's treatment of Alvin while he was an indentured apprentice. What measures have come into place since Alvin's time to protect the interests of apprentices in North America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stereotypes that the Berry's reinforced in order to keep Arthur Stuart safe. How did their reputations pay a price when Arthur Stuart came about? Was this a fair trade for the security of the boy?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)