|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was to happen in the ballroom downstairs?
2. What did Alvin think about when he had woken?
3. Why did Alvin shake Horace Guester's hand gladly?
4. How old is Alvin at this point in the story?
5. What had Cavil never seen anything so graceful as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
2. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
3. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
4. What did Alvin and Measure teach each other?
5. Why was Old Peg Guester so upset that Arthur Stuart couldn't be taught at the schoolhouse?
6. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
7. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
8. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
9. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
10. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Mistress Modesty. What role does she play in the story? Was this role crucial to the plot development? Why or why not? Is it likely she will feature a part in a future episode? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Old Peg's feelings of Miss Larner before and after she had spoken with her. What comments swayed the opinion of Peggy's mother towards actually liking Miss Larner or at least caused her to hold the woman in a better light?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the slave girl had an impact on Little Peggy. What did the slave girl bring to light in little Peggy, and how did this impact Peggy's life in a positive manner? What might have occurred had the slave girl never appeared?
This section contains 1,706 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)