|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Alvin wish for Horace to keep?
2. What did Delores see in her husbands face?
3. Why did Alvin look forward to leaving the town of Vigor Church to begin his apprenticeship?
4. Why did Alvin shake Horace Guester's hand gladly?
5. Who did Peggy hitch a ride with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Berry's saying that this half white child was theirs was the best bet to ensure the child's survival?
2. Why does Horace need his secret kept, and why is it in the best interests of Alvin not to tell his secret?
3. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
4. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
5. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
6. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
7. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
8. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
9. What action shocked the traveling priest?
10. What did Hank understand in regards to Alvin that he wouldn't have otherwise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mistress Modesty's statement "much of what is best in me, your father gave me" in reference to Horace Guester. What did she mean by this, and how is this revealed to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why having her own suite was so important to Miss Larner. What couldn't she have done while living at the roadhouse? Why did this desire to live alone so upset Old Peg?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)