|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peggy ask Mistress Modesty to stay with her?
2. What does Peggy see when she looks into Alvin's future?
3. What did Alvin invite when he dug in anger?
4. Why did Alvin give his boots away?
5. What did the lowest kind of creature do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
2. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
3. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
4. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
5. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
6. What had White folk found a way to calculate?
7. Why couldn't Alvin simply fill the well that he had dug and make Hank Dowsers' well good?
8. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
9. Why does Horace need his secret kept, and why is it in the best interests of Alvin not to tell his secret?
10. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mistress Modesty's statement "much of what is best in me, your father gave me" in reference to Horace Guester. What did she mean by this, and how is this revealed to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)