|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a promise to remember a gentleman?
2. What wasn't Alvin to have before he had dug the well?
3. How many years had past since Alvin had been an apprentice of Makepeace?
4. What did Alvin first think when he saw the blacksmith?
5. What is Horace's secret sin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
2. What had White folk found a way to calculate?
3. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
4. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
5. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
6. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
7. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
8. What action shocked the traveling priest?
9. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
10. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the newer forms of technology that are talked about in the novel for the era that the novel was set. What are some of the newer ideas, concepts, and things that are discussed when the reader takes into account that the novel was set in the early 1800s?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way the Red man, or Native Americans are talked about in this novel. References to the Native Americans are mostly spoken of in what tense? What does this lead the reader to believing in regards to the timeline?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exchange of information that occurs between Measure and Alvin at the end of the novel. How do each benefit from the knowledge the other is willing to teach? Whose knowledge is more specific to certain circumstance? Explain.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)