|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shouldn't Hank bring up at the Guester's roadhouse?
2. What was the name of the horse that Makepeace was shoeing?
3. How many years had past since Alvin had been an apprentice of Makepeace?
4. What did the Prophet show Alvin?
5. What did Peggy wish to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
2. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
3. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
4. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
5. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
6. What had White folk found a way to calculate?
7. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
8. For what reasons did Cavil find himself cursed?
9. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
10. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the newer forms of technology that are talked about in the novel for the era that the novel was set. What are some of the newer ideas, concepts, and things that are discussed when the reader takes into account that the novel was set in the early 1800s?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's behavior at Hatrack Mouth as gallant heroism, or unabashed brutality. Document your opinion either utilizing Alvin's opinion of himself while he was playing up to the river rats, or Miss Larner's behavior after he had defended her honor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why having her own suite was so important to Miss Larner. What couldn't she have done while living at the roadhouse? Why did this desire to live alone so upset Old Peg?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)