|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alvin give his boots away?
2. What nationality was the girl who answered the door?
3. What comment did Makepeace have for the water from the well Alvin dug?
4. How did Peggy feel she spoke?
5. What was the name of Anga Berry's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
2. Why does Horace need his secret kept, and why is it in the best interests of Alvin not to tell his secret?
3. Why was the Berry's saying that this half white child was theirs was the best bet to ensure the child's survival?
4. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
5. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
6. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
7. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
8. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
9. Why couldn't Alvin simply fill the well that he had dug and make Hank Dowsers' well good?
10. How did he treat his slaves following the appearance of his visitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Old Peg's feelings of Miss Larner before and after she had spoken with her. What comments swayed the opinion of Peggy's mother towards actually liking Miss Larner or at least caused her to hold the woman in a better light?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exchange of information that occurs between Measure and Alvin at the end of the novel. How do each benefit from the knowledge the other is willing to teach? Whose knowledge is more specific to certain circumstance? Explain.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)