|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did Alvin sink in the ooze at the bottom of the second well?
2. How did Hank feel with Alvin so close?
3. Why did Alvin give his boots away?
4. What was a promise to remember a gentleman?
5. Why does Peggy ask Mistress Modesty to stay with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
2. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
3. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
4. What did Hank understand in regards to Alvin that he wouldn't have otherwise?
5. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
6. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
7. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
8. What monster was little Peggy running from, and how did Alvin know?
9. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
10. What was the Unmaker's tool in the land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alvin's deteriorated relationship with Cally. What does this deterioration show about Cally's character, and what does it reveal about Alvin's? Could this relationship be salvaged by Alvin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the slave girl had an impact on Little Peggy. What did the slave girl bring to light in little Peggy, and how did this impact Peggy's life in a positive manner? What might have occurred had the slave girl never appeared?
Essay Topic 3
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)