|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What answer did Redbird give Alvin?
2. What name hadn't the visitor been called?
3. How did Peggy feel at times?
4. What name did Cavil cry out that made his visitor recoil?
5. What did Peggy wish to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hank understand in regards to Alvin that he wouldn't have otherwise?
2. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
3. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
4. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
5. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
6. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
7. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
8. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
9. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
10. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mistress Modesty's statement "much of what is best in me, your father gave me" in reference to Horace Guester. What did she mean by this, and how is this revealed to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mistress Modesty. What role does she play in the story? Was this role crucial to the plot development? Why or why not? Is it likely she will feature a part in a future episode? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Overseer as being synonymous with the Devil. What information lets the reader know that the Overseer is supposed to be the representation of the devil?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)