Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was to happen in the ballroom downstairs?
2. What did Alvin think about when he had woken?
3. Why did Alvin shake Horace Guester's hand gladly?
4. How old is Alvin at this point in the story?
5. What had Cavil never seen anything so graceful as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
2. How did Alvin realize that Miss Larner was right?
3. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
4. What did Alvin and Measure teach each other?
5. Why was Old Peg Guester so upset that Arthur Stuart couldn't be taught at the schoolhouse?
6. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
7. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
8. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
9. What did Pauley say that was so offensive?
10. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why having her own suite was so important to Miss Larner. What couldn't she have done while living at the roadhouse? Why did this desire to live alone so upset Old Peg?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peggy's feelings for Alvin. Are they realistic? Why or why not? Explain how her future changes as Alvin finally loves her, not a boyish kind of love, but that of a man, and how it would have been had Peggy stayed in Hatrack.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stereotypes that the Berry's reinforced in order to keep Arthur Stuart safe. How did their reputations pay a price when Arthur Stuart came about? Was this a fair trade for the security of the boy?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)