|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the wrong thing for Hank to say?
2. What is Cavil to do?
3. What nationality was the girl who answered the door?
4. How did Peggy feel she spoke?
5. What did Alvin think when he 'saw' the fresh corpse beneath the soil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hank understand in regards to Alvin that he wouldn't have otherwise?
2. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
3. What was the Unmaker's tool in the land?
4. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
5. Why wasn't Alvin able to beat back the Unmaker initially when it had started to snow?
6. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
7. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
8. What monster was little Peggy running from, and how did Alvin know?
9. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
10. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Makepeace's treatment of Alvin while he was an indentured apprentice. What measures have come into place since Alvin's time to protect the interests of apprentices in North America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of respect in this novel. Of what importance is respect among the White people in this novel? Of what importance is respect in today's era? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Alvin's initial fear that Arthur Stuart wasn't accepted in Vigor Church. Why was this a major concern of Alvin's? What was it that Alvin wanted for young Arthur Stuart, and why couldn't he just continue to follow Alvin?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)