|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Peggy feel at times?
2. What did Alvin say that angered Horace?
3. What was the first thing Alvin said without anger?
4. What was Alvin gratified to see?
5. What nationality was the girl who answered the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
2. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
3. How did he treat his slaves following the appearance of his visitor?
4. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
5. Why couldn't Alvin simply fill the well that he had dug and make Hank Dowsers' well good?
6. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
7. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
8. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
9. For what reasons did Cavil find himself cursed?
10. Why was the Berry's saying that this half white child was theirs was the best bet to ensure the child's survival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Old Peg's feelings of Miss Larner before and after she had spoken with her. What comments swayed the opinion of Peggy's mother towards actually liking Miss Larner or at least caused her to hold the woman in a better light?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Peggy's relationship with her parents. How are the feelings of the parents revealed upon the new addition to the family? How do both parents react to her return as Miss Larner?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of slavery in this book. How has slavery become a tender topic of American history? What are some of the main human rights violations that occur while a slave is indentured to his or her master?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)