|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alvin give his boots away?
2. What was Alvin gratified to see?
3. What did Peggy attempt to do?
4. What act opened Alvin wide for the Unmaker to enter him?
5. How far did Alvin sink in the ooze at the bottom of the second well?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
2. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
3. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
4. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
5. Why does Horace need his secret kept, and why is it in the best interests of Alvin not to tell his secret?
6. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
7. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
8. For what reasons did Cavil find himself cursed?
9. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
10. Why couldn't Alvin simply fill the well that he had dug and make Hank Dowsers' well good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Mistress Modesty. What role does she play in the story? Was this role crucial to the plot development? Why or why not? Is it likely she will feature a part in a future episode? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the newer forms of technology that are talked about in the novel for the era that the novel was set. What are some of the newer ideas, concepts, and things that are discussed when the reader takes into account that the novel was set in the early 1800s?
Essay Topic 3
How does this novel paint a dark picture of slavery and therefore of American history? Is it important to keep in mind the past? Why or why not? What is important about remembering the era of slavery in America?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)