|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much change did Vanderwoort give Mock Berry?
(a) Twelve cents.
(b) Six cents.
(c) Five cents.
(d) Thirteen cents.
2. Why didn't Peggy look into the heartfires of the townsfolk?
(a) She is no longer responsible for their futures.
(b) She had meddled enough in the hearts of those around her.
(c) She no longer noticed the heartfires of the people around her and never looked deep.
(d) All of these.
3. How many years did Makepeace steal from Alvin?
4. What did Reverend Philadelphia Thrower know about Cavil Planter?
(a) All of these.
(b) He had produced twenty-six living gifts to God.
(c) The name of the mother that stole away Cavil's first baby's name was Hagar.
(d) He was a man who did the Lords' work.
5. Who lost their job in Hatrack?
(a) Po Doggly.
(b) Mock Berry.
(c) Pauley Wiseman.
(d) Makepeace Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first word Arthur spelled out?
2. Where did Old Peg want the schoolteacher to live?
3. What did Makepeace say in regards to the work Alvin did on the manacles?
4. What kind of birds' nests were in the Hatrack bridge eaves?
5. What did Cavil think to do to win the Overseers' approval?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Alvin have any particular like for the two boys in Pieter's General Store?
2. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
3. What incident caused Peggy to reveal herself as being who she really was?
4. Why is it that Miss Larner can't teach Alvin to be a Maker directly?
5. How did Miss Larner feel about Dr. Physicker's payment to Alvin?
6. Why did Old Peg shoot the Finder dead?
7. Why was Mistress Modesty so upset?
8. Why was Old Peg fearful of the Fugitive Slave Treaty?
9. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
10. Why was Alvin so offended at the idea that Miss Larner had paid him to look after her?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)