|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the African slave girl think Peggy's voice belongs to?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) The Holy Virgin Mother of God.
(c) Both of these.
(d) The Holy Virgin Mary.
2. What didn't the lady see when she judged Peggy?
(a) A country girl.
(b) How awful it must be to know things that didn't bear knowing.
(c) A child who had known pain.
(d) A poor, ill bred girl.
3. In what way was Peggy and Mistress Modesty both not a part of the masquerade?
(a) Neither had shown up in costume.
(b) Neither were pretending to be something they weren't.
(c) Neither depended on anyone else's opinion of them.
(d) All of these.
4. What secret does Alvin wish for Horace to keep?
(a) That Alvin was going to stay in Hatrack.
(b) All of these.
(c) That it was his brother that died in the river.
(d) That he is the seventh son of a seventh son.
5. What was a promise to remember a gentleman?
(a) Calling him a sweetheart.
(b) Calling him her sweetheart.
(c) Calling him a friend.
(d) Calling him a dear friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Lord choose men to do his bidding?
2. What act opened Alvin wide for the Unmaker to enter him?
3. What did Peggy figure out about why her mother had been disappointed with her?
4. How had Arthur Stuart been with Alvin?
5. Who was sleeping upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
2. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
3. What monster was little Peggy running from, and how did Alvin know?
4. Why does Horace need his secret kept, and why is it in the best interests of Alvin not to tell his secret?
5. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
6. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
7. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
8. How did he treat his slaves following the appearance of his visitor?
9. Why was the Berry's saying that this half white child was theirs was the best bet to ensure the child's survival?
10. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)