|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Old Peg Guester name the Black boy-baby?
(a) Arthur Stuart.
2. What did the Unmaker do while Alvin was in the forest?
(a) Caused it to sleet hail on a summer morning.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Caused it to snow on a summer morning.
3. What had Cavil never seen anything so graceful as?
(a) All of these.
(b) The trickle of water down her spine.
(c) Her blue black thighs sliding against each other.
(d) The trickle of water down her chest.
4. What secret does Alvin wish for Horace to keep?
(a) That he is the seventh son of a seventh son.
(b) All of these.
(c) That it was his brother that died in the river.
(d) That Alvin was going to stay in Hatrack.
5. Why can't Horace tell his wife that Peggy is going to see someone else and not go find the slave girl?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) Peggy doesn't want her mama to fret.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Peggy doesn't want him to lie to her mama.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wasn't Alvin to have before he had dug the well?
2. Who did Peggy figure could have saved the slave girl?
3. How did Peggy feel at times?
4. Why did Alvin look forward to leaving the town of Vigor Church to begin his apprenticeship?
5. What was customary for masters to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
2. What was the Unmaker's tool in the land?
3. What monster was little Peggy running from, and how did Alvin know?
4. What had White folk found a way to calculate?
5. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
6. What action shocked the traveling priest?
7. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
8. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
9. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
10. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)