|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What didn't the lady see when she judged Peggy?
(a) A country girl.
(b) A child who had known pain.
(c) How awful it must be to know things that didn't bear knowing.
(d) A poor, ill bred girl.
2. What displayed the visitor's profession?
(a) The stern look in his face.
(b) The tension in his muscles.
(c) All of these.
(d) The coldness in his eyes.
3. What did Alvin think when he 'saw' the fresh corpse beneath the soil?
(a) That someone was mad at the fresh body beneath the earth.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Both of these.
(d) That the torch girl was buried there.
4. What kind of talent was mostly found among seventh sons?
(b) All of these.
5. In what way was Peggy and Mistress Modesty both not a part of the masquerade?
(a) Neither had shown up in costume.
(b) All of these.
(c) Neither depended on anyone else's opinion of them.
(d) Neither were pretending to be something they weren't.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "lie" did Alvin tell his new master, Makepeace Smith?
2. How did Peggy feel she spoke?
3. What comment did Makepeace have for the water from the well Alvin dug?
4. What act opened Alvin wide for the Unmaker to enter him?
5. How old is Alvin at this point in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
2. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
3. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
4. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
5. Why does Horace need his secret kept, and why is it in the best interests of Alvin not to tell his secret?
6. Why was the Berry's saying that this half white child was theirs was the best bet to ensure the child's survival?
7. What decision changed little Peggy's life, and in what way did it change?
8. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
9. What action shocked the traveling priest?
10. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)