|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Unmaker do while Alvin was in the forest?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Caused it to snow on a summer morning.
(d) Caused it to sleet hail on a summer morning.
2. Why did Alvin give his boots away?
(a) They were too big for him.
(b) A poor family had a boy around Alvin's age.
(c) They hurt his feet.
(d) He didn't like how they looked.
3. What was a promise to remember a gentleman?
(a) Calling him a sweetheart.
(b) Calling him a dear friend.
(c) Calling him a friend.
(d) Calling him her sweetheart.
4. What did Mistress Modesty imagine when she thought of Peggy's pain?
(a) How to heal her.
(b) How to help her.
(c) None of these.
(d) How she could benefit from Peggy's pain.
5. What was held out to Peggy?
(a) None of these.
(b) A silver plate.
(c) A phone.
(d) A pen and paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most difficult lesson Mistress Modesty had taught Peggy?
2. Who was sleeping upstairs?
3. What kind of emotions did Horace Guester's name bring about in Mistress Modesty?
4. What did Cavil start to think?
5. How did Peggy feel she spoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did he treat his slaves following the appearance of his visitor?
2. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
3. What kinds of things told Cavil clearly what profession his visitor occupied?
4. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
5. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
6. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
7. Why did Alvin dig out a well that he knew wouldn't do any good?
8. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
9. Why couldn't Alvin simply fill the well that he had dug and make Hank Dowsers' well good?
10. What had White folk found a way to calculate?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)