|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a promise to remember a gentleman?
(a) Calling him a dear friend.
(b) Calling him a friend.
(c) Calling him a sweetheart.
(d) Calling him her sweetheart.
2. What did Peggy wish to be?
(a) A supplicant.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) None of these.
(d) Mistress Modesty.
3. What kind of talent was mostly found among seventh sons?
(d) All of these.
4. What was customary for masters to do?
(a) Let their apprentices gain knowledge and apply it to the world.
(b) All of these.
(c) Let their apprentices earn money on their work.
(d) Let their apprentices go when they were good enough to work on their own.
5. What did Alvin say that angered Horace?
(a) That Peggy might have ran off with a boy.
(b) That Peggy might have been jealous of the infant.
(c) None of these.
(d) That Peggy ran off to seek her fortune elsewhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Peggy decided to do?
2. What did Mistress Modesty imagine when she thought of Peggy's pain?
3. Why can't Peggy send the Unmaker away?
4. What song did Redbird begin to sing that was different from Redman's song?
5. What comment did Makepeace have for the water from the well Alvin dug?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
2. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
3. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
4. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
5. What kinds of things told Cavil clearly what profession his visitor occupied?
6. What does Peggy say that Mistress Modesty's knack is?
7. What action shocked the traveling priest?
8. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
9. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
10. Why couldn't Alvin simply fill the well that he had dug and make Hank Dowsers' well good?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)