|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Peggy attempt to do?
(a) All of these.
(b) Use his caul to make a branch fall from a tree.
(c) Use his caul to cause someone to come and wake him.
(d) Use his caul to fend off the Unmaker.
2. What kind of emotions did Horace Guester's name bring about in Mistress Modesty?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) Fear at what Peggy might intend.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Glad memory.
3. What did Alvin think about when he had woken?
(a) How he had called Redbird to him.
(b) Both of these.
(c) How he had caused it to become summer.
(d) Neither of these.
4. How had Arthur Stuart been with Alvin?
(a) A reporter.
(b) Like a ghost.
(c) A spy.
(d) Like his shadow.
5. What did Alvin think when he 'saw' the fresh corpse beneath the soil?
(a) That someone was mad at the fresh body beneath the earth.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) That the torch girl was buried there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Peggy wish to be?
2. Why does Peggy ask Mistress Modesty to stay with her?
3. Who was sleeping upstairs?
4. What did Cavil do when the black girl protested?
5. What did Peggy figure out about why her mother had been disappointed with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Cavil do that he felt was godly and righteous?
2. For what reasons did Cavil find himself cursed?
3. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
4. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
5. How did Peggy see the world around the Hio?
6. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
7. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
8. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
9. What action shocked the traveling priest?
10. What was the Unmaker's tool in the land?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)