|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did Cavil cry out that made his visitor recoil?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) Merciful God.
(c) God Almighty.
(d) Lord Jesus.
2. What was the wrong thing for Hank to say?
(a) "I'd cuff that boy two ways from Sunday."
(b) "What kind of master are you, letting him speak like that to you?"
(c) "I don't want that boy touching my horse."
(d) "Who's the master here, anyway?"
3. Why did Alvin look forward to leaving the town of Vigor Church to begin his apprenticeship?
(a) His home was stained with too much innocent blood for him to hanker to stay.
(b) He had caught his father trying to kill him.
(c) All of these.
(d) His parents were mean to him.
4. What did Alvin think about when he had woken?
(a) How he had called Redbird to him.
(b) How he had caused it to become summer.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Both of these.
5. What was it that Hank realized with Alvin close?
(a) All of these.
(b) It was the water that hated him.
(c) It was horrible to hate him.
(d) It was natural to hate him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wasn't Alvin to have before he had dug the well?
2. What was the most difficult lesson Mistress Modesty had taught Peggy?
3. What does the African slave girl think Peggy's voice belongs to?
4. In what way did Peggy dance for Alvin?
5. What shouldn't Hank bring up at the Guester's roadhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
2. Why does Cavil perceive his visitor as an overseer?
3. Why was Old Peg fearful of the Fugitive Slave Treaty?
4. How did Hank feel about Alvin?
5. What things kept Alvin from running like a Red man?
6. How did Alvin feel about women after witnessing the relationships of the Smiths and Guesters?
7. What might Peggy have said if she had gotten a chance, before her mama died?
8. What issues did Pauley have in regard to Miss Larner living alone? How did she respond to that?
9. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
10. What plan did Alvin come up with to make sure that the Finders would never find Arthur Stuart again?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)