|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Alvin say that angered Horace?
(a) None of these.
(b) That Peggy might have been jealous of the infant.
(c) That Peggy might have ran off with a boy.
(d) That Peggy ran off to seek her fortune elsewhere.
2. What is Horace Guester's knack?
(a) All of these.
(b) Making people love him.
(c) Making folks feel loved.
(d) Making people his friends.
3. Why did the Lord choose men to do his bidding?
(a) Women were too compassionate.
(b) Women were too weak.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Neither of these.
4. Why did Alvin shake Horace Guester's hand gladly?
(a) Both of these.
(b) He wasn't used to his opinion mattering.
(c) He wasn't used to being treated like an equal.
(d) Neither of these.
5. What did Alvin first think when he saw the blacksmith?
(a) That the smith was likely to hurt him.
(b) That the smith was an evil looking man.
(c) He'd been sent to prentice to the devil.
(d) That he would never be hungry learning to be a smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alvin think of Makepeace?
2. What song did Redbird begin to sing that was different from Redman's song?
3. What was Alvin gratified to see?
4. What act opened Alvin wide for the Unmaker to enter him?
5. Why does Peggy ask Mistress Modesty to stay with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peggy not admire her father for helping Black slaves get north and free?
2. Why wasn't Peggy as dressed up as some of the other girls at the ball?
3. What sacrifice did the Black slave girl make? Why did she make this choice?
4. What was the difference between Hank and other dowsers?
5. Why did Alvin end up feeling like he was "half hisself"?
6. Why do most people feel guilty when they hear the story of the Tippy Canoe Massacre?
7. Why did Hank Dowser seek to calm Makepeace Smith after he had riled him up?
8. Why was the man that Peggy had been dancing with confused when Peggy stopped dancing?
9. What did Peggy notice about Mistress Modesty's heart when she was looking at Peggy?
10. Who was it that stopped Alvin from being overcome by the Unmaker?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)