|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was this thing for?
(a) Guests to announce themselves.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Peggy's calling card.
2. What was held out to Peggy?
(a) None of these.
(b) A silver plate.
(c) A phone.
(d) A pen and paper.
3. What was it that Hank realized with Alvin close?
(a) It was natural to hate him.
(b) It was the water that hated him.
(c) All of these.
(d) It was horrible to hate him.
4. Where was Peggy headed?
5. How old is Alvin at this point in the story?
6. What "lie" did Alvin tell his new master, Makepeace Smith?
(a) That Alvin had befriended the Prophet.
(b) That Alvin befriended Ta-Kumsaw.
(c) That he befriended a bear that gave him a ride from Vigor Church.
(d) That he ran from the town of Vigor Church.
7. In what way did Peggy dance for Alvin?
(a) If she could win the love of these strangers, she might win Alvin's love.
(b) If she was truly beautiful, both inside and out, she might win Alvin's love.
(c) If she could be perfect and assist Alvin in every way, she might win Alvin's love.
(d) If she could dance gracefully and beautifully on her feet, she might win Alvin's love.
8. What did Alvin first think when he saw the blacksmith?
(a) That he would never be hungry learning to be a smith.
(b) That the smith was likely to hurt him.
(c) That the smith was an evil looking man.
(d) He'd been sent to prentice to the devil.
9. What does Peggy see when she looks into Alvin's future?
(a) None of these.
(b) That Alvin makes it out of the darkness only if he is woken.
(c) All paths lead to darkness, and none emerge.
(d) That Alvin makes it out of the darkness at the sacrifice of Arthur Stuarts life.
10. In reality, what was this visitor?
(a) The Overseer.
(b) An angel of God.
(c) An overseer.
(d) A spawn of Satan.
11. What was the name of the horse that Makepeace was shoeing?
12. What shouldn't Hank bring up at the Guester's roadhouse?
(a) The fact that Alvin is a natural farrier.
(b) The fact that their daughter left.
(c) The fact that Hatrack hasn't got a torch.
(d) All of these.
13. What song did Redbird begin to sing that was different from Redman's song?
(a) The song of Triumph.
(b) The song of the Redbird.
(c) The song of Making.
(d) The song of Rebirth.
14. What kind of emotions did Horace Guester's name bring about in Mistress Modesty?
(a) Fear at what Peggy might intend.
(b) Glad memory.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Neither of these.
15. What was the wrong thing for Hank to say?
(a) "I'd cuff that boy two ways from Sunday."
(b) "I don't want that boy touching my horse."
(c) "What kind of master are you, letting him speak like that to you?"
(d) "Who's the master here, anyway?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the difference between Cavil and Abraham?
2. Why did Alvin shake Horace Guester's hand gladly?
3. What is Horace's secret sin?
4. What kind of wood was good for finding water?
5. How much had Cavil bought his new girl for?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)