|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Alvin give his boots away?
(a) He didn't like how they looked.
(b) A poor family had a boy around Alvin's age.
(c) They hurt his feet.
(d) They were too big for him.
2. What would his career as a blacksmith teach Alvin?
(a) How to be honest.
(b) How to be proud.
(c) How to be a man.
(d) How to be a Maker.
3. What wasn't Alvin to have before he had dug the well?
(a) Both of these.
(b) Not a sip of water to drink.
(c) He was allowed whatever he wanted.
(d) Not a bite of food to eat.
4. What was to happen in the ballroom downstairs?
(a) Their daughters were to meet their beaux there.
(b) Their sons were to meet their ladies there.
(c) All of these.
(d) Their daughter was to have her first dance with her husband there.
5. What was this thing for?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) Guests to announce themselves.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Peggy's calling card.
6. What was the name of Anga Berry's husband?
(a) Jack Berry.
(b) Jock Berry.
(c) Rob Berry.
(d) Mock Berry.
7. What was it that Hank realized with Alvin close?
(a) All of these.
(b) It was natural to hate him.
(c) It was the water that hated him.
(d) It was horrible to hate him.
8. How did Hank feel with Alvin so close?
(d) All of these.
9. What is it that a torch does?
(a) Looks into the womb to see how the baby lays and whether it is in the right position to be born.
(b) Looks into people's heartfires and sees their secrets and thoughts.
(c) All of these.
(d) Looks into people's heartfires and sees their future.
10. How far did Alvin sink in the ooze at the bottom of the second well?
(a) To his neck.
(b) To his calves.
(c) To his waist.
(d) To his thighs.
11. How had Arthur Stuart been with Alvin?
(a) Like a ghost.
(b) Like his shadow.
(c) A spy.
(d) A reporter.
12. In reality, what was this visitor?
(a) A spawn of Satan.
(b) An angel of God.
(c) An overseer.
(d) The Overseer.
13. In what way did Peggy dance for Alvin?
(a) If she was truly beautiful, both inside and out, she might win Alvin's love.
(b) If she could dance gracefully and beautifully on her feet, she might win Alvin's love.
(c) If she could win the love of these strangers, she might win Alvin's love.
(d) If she could be perfect and assist Alvin in every way, she might win Alvin's love.
14. What secret does Alvin wish for Horace to keep?
(a) That he is the seventh son of a seventh son.
(b) All of these.
(c) That it was his brother that died in the river.
(d) That Alvin was going to stay in Hatrack.
15. How did Peggy feel at times?
(a) That her life would always be that of servitude and misery.
(b) That she was the lone lookout boy at the top of a ships mast.
(c) That if it weren't for her being a torch, no one would care for her at all.
(d) That she would never be happy leading her life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of emotions did Horace Guester's name bring about in Mistress Modesty?
2. What had Peggy decided to do?
3. What did Alvin invite when he dug in anger?
4. What was held out to Peggy?
5. What did Alvin say that angered Horace?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)