|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Lies & Chapter 4, Modesty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Alvin shake Horace Guester's hand gladly?
(a) Both of these.
(b) He wasn't used to his opinion mattering.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) He wasn't used to being treated like an equal.
2. What kind of emotions did Horace Guester's name bring about in Mistress Modesty?
(a) Fear at what Peggy might intend.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Glad memory.
(d) Both of these.
3. What did Alvin say that angered Horace?
(a) That Peggy ran off to seek her fortune elsewhere.
(b) That Peggy might have been jealous of the infant.
(c) None of these.
(d) That Peggy might have ran off with a boy.
4. What didn't the lady see when she judged Peggy?
(a) A child who had known pain.
(b) How awful it must be to know things that didn't bear knowing.
(c) A country girl.
(d) A poor, ill bred girl.
5. What did Alvin think when he 'saw' the fresh corpse beneath the soil?
(a) That someone was mad at the fresh body beneath the earth.
(b) Both of these.
(c) That the torch girl was buried there.
(d) Neither of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was sleeping upstairs?
2. What "lie" did Alvin tell his new master, Makepeace Smith?
3. What did Dolores' hands look like?
4. What was held out to Peggy?
5. What secret does Alvin wish for Horace to keep?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)