|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seldon say must underlie all things?
2. What color are the skies above the university?
3. Which of the following stations does Leggen list?
4. What does the Sunmaster ask Seldon and Venabili to cover?
5. What does Seldon have that Hummin wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clowzia say the lift has to go so high?
2. How does Randa offer to help Seldon?
3. Why does Seldon find it hard to believe that the Galactic Empire is dying?
4. Why does Seldon think both Hummin and the Emperor are being unreasonable?
5. Why does Raindrop find it insulting that Seldon thinks her culture is religious?
6. Why does Hummin think the Empire is in danger?
7. How do Hummin's motives for wanting use of Seldon's predictive powers differ from the Emperor's?
8. What does Sunmaster insist Venabili and Seldon do?
9. How does Seldon defend Venabili to Hummin?
10. Why does Trantor present a problem to meteorologists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about late 20th century society.
1) The role of women.
2) Predictive powers.
3) Mistrust of other cultures.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Seldon's character to the person he was when he first set sail to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What did Seldon hope to achieve at the beginning of the novel?
2) What events changed Seldon's ideas about life?
3) How has Seldon's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)