|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most important race of Steve's 1974 European tour?
2. What did Steve think was the reason whenever he lost a race?
3. Who said that in his day runners "never would have taken a victory lap"?
4. Who upset Steve with his race placement predictions in 1975?
5. What did Frank Shorter say that Steve was?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Steve relate running to art?
2. What was Steve's reaction to John Hall's prediction of how he would place in the LA Times Indoor Meet?
3. What did Steve do before leaving the track after winning his last race?
4. Why were the "Stop Pre" shirts created?
5. What point in his life had Steve reached when he began the 1975 track season?
6. Why did the AAU have problems with Steve wearing Nike clothes and shoes?
7. What kind of reception did Steve get when he arrived at the July Games in Stockholm?
8. How did Steve feel about being accused of not caring about women's track?
9. What was Steve's greatest drawback in Europe?
10. What did being an open athlete mean to Steve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Steve viewed his hometown of Coos Bay.
Essay Topic 2
The subtitle of Pre is "The story of America's Greatest Running Legend." Discuss why the author thought that Steve was America's Greatest Running Legend.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Steve's relationship with his college track coach.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)