|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lydia?
(a) The Meany's housekeeper.
(b) Johnny's neighbor.
(c) Johnny's cousin.
(d) The Wheelwright's housekeeper.
2. What is the name of the town in which this novel takes place?
(c) Tomb Hollow.
3. For which holiday does Owen hope to meet Johnny's cousins?
(d) Independance Day.
4. When Ms. Wheelwright makes the announcement that she has good news, what does her family assume?
(a) That she is engaged.
(b) That she has won the lottery.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she has a new job.
5. What does the mother, whose son is killed in the Vietnam war, say about those who protest the war?
(a) That they should be sent to the war.
(b) That they ARE un-patriotic.
(c) That they should be prayed for.
(d) That they are NOT un-patriotic.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Brinker-Smiths enter the room that Owen and Johnny are investigating, where does Johnny hide?
2. In what has Dan Needham wrapped Johnny's present?
3. What happens when Owen and Hester are wrestling?
4. How old was Johnny when his mother died?
5. What unusual stuffed animal is Dan Needham's gift to Johnny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnny Wheelwright's mother die?
2. What happens when Johnny and Owen are investigating empty dorm rooms at Gravesend over the Christmas holiday?
3. What happens when Owen meets Johnny's cousins?
4. How does Owen typically play baseball?
5. Who is Dan Needham, and what does he look like?
6. Explain the situation that Johnny will later describe as his sexual awakening.
7. What does Owen predict when he and Johnny are down by the Squamscott River?
8. What is Owen's view of Tabitha's dressmaking dummy?
9. What is the response from Johnny's family after Tabitha's funeral?
10. What was the conflict that Dan and Tabitha encountered when they were planning their wedding ceremony?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)