|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Owen present to Dan and Tabitha as a wedding gift?
(a) His baseball card collection.
(b) A Shakespearean sonnet.
(c) A piece of granite.
(d) The stuffed armadillo.
2. What does Dan think is the ultimate message that Owen was trying to send with the stuffed animal?
3. What is the name of the town in which this novel takes place?
(a) Tomb Hollow.
4. What does Owen claim God has taken from him to make him God's instrument?
(a) His hands.
(b) His mother.
(c) His God.
(d) His instrument.
5. After the funeral, who walks with Johnny to his mother's grave?
(a) Dan Needham.
(b) Aunt Martha.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dan Needham live?
2. How is Johnny's mother described?
3. How does Owen typically respond when Johnny comes home from visiting his cousins?
4. What do the boys witness the Brinker-Smith's doing while they are hiding?
5. What is heard in the background of Ms. Wheelwright's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Harry Hoyt's mother?
2. How does Johnny react to Owen's baseball card apology?
3. Describe Johnny's cousins.
4. What does Owen predict when he and Johnny are down by the Squamscott River?
5. What does the audience see Johnny Wheelwright reading, as an adult, in Canada, and how does Johnny react?
6. What is the response from Johnny's family after Tabitha's funeral?
7. Why does Owen's family switch to the Episcopalian church?
8. Why does Owen react so strongly to Johnny's opinion of his mother's death?
9. What was the conflict that Dan and Tabitha encountered when they were planning their wedding ceremony?
10. What does Owen mean when he tells Dan Needham that his play is lacking a "certain presence"?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)