|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the students typically lock Owen?
(a) In the gymnasium.
(b) In his locker.
(c) In the janitor's closet.
(d) In the bathroom.
2. When the Brinker-Smiths enter the room that Owen and Johnny are investigating, where does Johnny hide?
(a) Behind the door.
(b) Behind the drapes.
(c) In the closet.
(d) Under the bed.
3. What job did Owen believe was passed on to him from a higher being?
(a) The job to become an Episcopal preacher.
(b) The job to befriend Johnny.
(c) The job to become a professional baseball player.
(d) The job to end Tabitha's life.
4. Which sport is Owen passionate about?
5. How does Johnny respond to Owen's request to meet his cousins?
(a) He is worried that his cousins will like Owen better.
(b) He is angry that Owen wants more friends.
(c) He is excited to have all his friends together.
(d) He is embarrassed of Owen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Johnny find praying at his mother's grave?
2. Who comes to visit Dan Needham and Johnny over the Christmas holiday?
3. What product does the Meany family produce with the return from the quarry?
4. Who is Dan Needham?
5. When Ms. Wheelwright makes the announcement that she has good news, what does her family assume?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the conflict that Dan and Tabitha encountered when they were planning their wedding ceremony?
2. What does Owen mean when he tells Dan Needham that his play is lacking a "certain presence"?
3. What happens to Harry Hoyt's mother?
4. Briefly explain this quote: "God has taken your mother. My hands were the instrument. God has taken my hands. I am God's instrument."
5. What is significant about Johnny Wheelwright's family?
6. Why does Owen react so strongly to Johnny's opinion of his mother's death?
7. What happens when Owen meets Johnny's cousins?
8. Why does Owen's family switch to the Episcopalian church?
9. How does Johnny Wheelwright's mother die?
10. Explain the situation that Johnny will later describe as his sexual awakening.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)