|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the funeral, who walks with Johnny to his mother's grave?
(b) Dan Needham.
(c) Aunt Martha.
2. Who does the person praying at the grave believe is speaking to them?
(a) Tabby's ghost.
(c) A spirit.
(d) An angel.
3. What happens to the house of the mother whose son is killed in the Vietnam war?
(a) It is vandalized.
(b) It is cared for by neighbors.
(c) It becomes a magnificent garden.
(d) It becomes dilapitated.
4. Where do the students typically lock Owen?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) In his locker.
(c) In the janitor's closet.
(d) In the gymnasium.
5. How is Owen referred to in the text?
(a) As a villain.
(b) As a hero.
(c) As a bully.
(d) As a martyr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town in which this novel takes place?
2. What role has Owen played every year in the Christmas pageant and swears that he will never play again?
3. What must Owen endure from his fellow classmates?
4. Who is Lydia?
5. What is Johnny's address?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Owen react so strongly to Johnny's opinion of his mother's death?
2. What does Owen mean when he tells Dan Needham that his play is lacking a "certain presence"?
3. How does the Meany family make a living?
4. How does Owen typically play baseball?
5. What does Owen think he sees when he enters Tabitha's bedroom?
6. Why does Owen's family switch to the Episcopalian church?
7. Describe Johnny's cousins.
8. Why do Owen and Mr. Morrison have a conversation?
9. What is significant about Johnny Wheelwright's family?
10. How do the Meanys find out about Owen's Christmas responsibilities, and what is their response?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)