|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between which two characters' homes does Johnny decide to divide his time?
(a) Owen's and Dan Needham's.
(b) Aunt Martha's and his grandmother's.
(c) Dan Needham's and his grandmother's.
(d) Aunt Martha's and Owen's.
2. How does Owen respond to the news that his parents are aware of his Christmas responsibilities?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is upset.
3. After the funeral, who walks with Johnny to his mother's grave?
(b) Aunt Martha.
(c) Dan Needham.
4. What unusual stuffed animal is Dan Needham's gift to Johnny?
(a) An armadillo.
(b) An anteater.
(c) A porcupine.
(d) A skunk.
5. How do the Meanys respond to the news of Owen's Christmas responsibilities?
(a) They are saddened.
(b) They are impressed.
(c) They are furious.
(d) They are apathetic.
6. Who does Owen believe could be the "certain prescence" in Dan Needham's play?
(c) Mr. Fish.
(d) Mr. Morrison.
7. Fill in the blank to the children's playtime chant: "Last one _____ has to kiss Hester the Molester!"
(a) To the house.
(b) To the tree.
(c) In the car.
(d) In the lake.
8. What/who does Owen say is in Tabitha's room with her?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A monster.
(c) An angel.
(d) The devil.
9. Who is the congregational pastor?
(a) Dan Needham.
(b) Rev. Lewis Merrill.
(c) There is no congregational pastor.
(d) Rev. Dudley Wiggins.
10. In which country does Johnny live as an adult?
11. What is Owen's murder weapon?
(a) A pool stick.
(b) A handgun.
(c) A hatchet.
(d) A baseball.
12. What does Owen think that the turtledoves in the Christmas pageant look like?
13. What happens when Owen and Hester are wrestling?
(a) Owen wets his pants.
(b) The two children kiss.
(c) Owen bites Hester's leg.
(d) Hester breaks Owen's arm.
14. Which play is Dan Needham directing?
(a) A Christmas Carol.
(b) Peter Pan.
(c) The Sound of Music.
(d) The Christmas Pageant.
15. Who does Owen say should not be left alone with Tabitha's dressmaking dummy?
(a) Aunt Martha.
(d) Dan Needham.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town in which this novel takes place?
2. Who lets Owen's Christmas responsibilities slip to his parents?
3. What role has Owen played every year in the Christmas pageant and swears that he will never play again?
4. What does Johnny point to in Tabitha's room that Owen may have mistaken for something else?
5. What happens to the house of the mother whose son is killed in the Vietnam war?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)