|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Johnny's address?
(a) 80 Side Street.
(b) 80 Front Street.
(c) 80 Top Street.
(d) 80 Back Street.
2. What does Rev. Merrill say is the essence of true faith?
3. Who takes the dressmaking dummy from Tabitha's bedroom?
(c) Dan Needham.
(d) Aunt Martha.
4. Which play is Dan Needham directing?
(a) A Christmas Carol.
(b) The Sound of Music.
(c) Peter Pan.
(d) The Christmas Pageant.
5. How is Dan Needham described?
(a) As awkward.
(b) As handsome.
(c) As charming.
(d) As unintelligent.
6. What does Owen present to Dan and Tabitha as a wedding gift?
(a) A Shakespearean sonnet.
(b) His baseball card collection.
(c) A piece of granite.
(d) The stuffed armadillo.
7. Which President wrote the "State of the Union Message" that Johnny reads as an adult?
(a) President Carter.
(b) President Reagan.
(c) President Bush.
(d) President Lincoln.
8. Who is Mr. Brinker-Smith?
(a) A pastor at Gravesend Church.
(b) A teacher at Gravesend Academy.
(c) A bellboy at Gravesend Hotel.
(d) A gravedigger at Gravesend Cemetary.
9. What role has Owen played every year in the Christmas pageant and swears that he will never play again?
(a) An angel.
(b) A wiseman.
(d) The Christ Child.
10. Fill in the blank: Down by the riverside, Owen shouts, "He can hide from you, but he can't hide from _____ ."
(b) The light..
(d) The truth.
11. What happens to the house of the mother whose son is killed in the Vietnam war?
(a) It is cared for by neighbors.
(b) It becomes a magnificent garden.
(c) It becomes dilapitated.
(d) It is vandalized.
12. Who is Ginger in relation to Mr. Brinker-Smith?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His secretary.
13. Which character was referred to as "the little doll"?
(a) Ms. Wheelwright.
(b) Dan Needham.
(c) Owen Meany.
(d) Johnny Wheelwright.
14. Who does Owen inadvertently murder?
(a) His parents.
(b) The Sunday school teacher.
(d) Tabitha Wheelwright.
15. How old was Johnny when his mother died?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Owen typically respond when Johnny comes home from visiting his cousins?
2. What does Dan think is the ultimate message that Owen was trying to send with the stuffed animal?
3. In what has Dan Needham wrapped Johnny's present?
4. How many pastors were present at the wedding of Dan and Tabitha?
5. Whose ancestor founded the town in which the novel takes place?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)