|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dan Needham?
(a) Johnny's father.
(b) Johnny's neighbor.
(c) Ms. Wheelwright's boyfriend.
(d) Ms. Wheelwright's boss.
2. What is the name of the town in which this novel takes place?
(a) Tomb Hollow.
3. Who lets Owen's Christmas responsibilities slip to his parents?
(a) Mr. Brinker-Smith.
(c) Mr. Morrison.
(d) Dan Needham.
4. What do Johnny's cousins do with the hopes of drawing blood?
(a) Toss knives.
(b) Climb trees.
(c) Wrestle each other.
(d) Tease the dog.
5. What is Johnny's address?
(a) 80 Side Street.
(b) 80 Front Street.
(c) 80 Top Street.
(d) 80 Back Street.
6. What does the mother, whose son is killed in the Vietnam war, say about those who protest the war?
(a) That they should be prayed for.
(b) That they ARE un-patriotic.
(c) That they should be sent to the war.
(d) That they are NOT un-patriotic.
7. When the Brinker-Smiths enter the room that Owen and Johnny are investigating, where does Johnny hide?
(a) In the closet.
(b) Under the bed.
(c) Behind the drapes.
(d) Behind the door.
8. Who is the congregational pastor?
(a) Rev. Dudley Wiggins.
(b) Rev. Lewis Merrill.
(c) There is no congregational pastor.
(d) Dan Needham.
9. What does Rev. Merrill say is the essence of true faith?
10. What happened to Owen after the murder?
(a) He disappeared.
(b) Life went on as normal.
(c) He went to prison.
(d) He denied everything.
11. Where did Ms. Wheelwright meet her new boyfriend?
(a) On the train.
(b) On the Internet.
(c) On an airplane.
(d) In the doctor's office.
12. In what has Dan Needham wrapped Johnny's present?
(a) In the Sunday newspaper.
(b) In a brown paper bag.
(c) In shiny green wrapping paper.
(d) In silk cloth.
13. Who does the person praying at the grave believe is speaking to them?
(a) Tabby's ghost.
(b) An angel.
(c) A spirit.
14. How does Johnny respond to Owen's request to meet his cousins?
(a) He is worried that his cousins will like Owen better.
(b) He is embarrassed of Owen.
(c) He is excited to have all his friends together.
(d) He is angry that Owen wants more friends.
15. What does Owen leave on Johnny's porch in an attempt at an apology?
(a) A tin of homemade fudge.
(b) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) A drawing of the two boys together.
(d) His baseball cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it impossible for any pitcher to strike Owen out playing baseball?
2. Who is Ginger in relation to Mr. Brinker-Smith?
3. Whose ancestor founded the town in which the novel takes place?
4. Who is Lydia?
5. How long did Tabitha and Dan wait before they were married?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)