|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Owen say should not be left alone with Tabitha's dressmaking dummy?
(b) Dan Needham.
(d) Aunt Martha.
2. In Sunday school, who does Owen claim to be escaping?
(a) The Agnostics.
(b) The Catholics.
(c) The Mafia.
(d) The Demons.
3. When Ms. Wheelwright makes the announcement that she has good news, what does her family assume?
(a) That she is engaged.
(b) That she has won the lottery.
(c) That she has a new job.
(d) That she is pregnant.
4. What job did Owen believe was passed on to him from a higher being?
(a) The job to become a professional baseball player.
(b) The job to become an Episcopal preacher.
(c) The job to end Tabitha's life.
(d) The job to befriend Johnny.
5. Which character is killed in the Vietnam war?
(a) Pastor Merrill.
(b) Dan Needham.
(c) Owen Meany.
(d) Harry Hoyt.
6. Fill in the blank to the children's playtime chant: "Last one _____ has to kiss Hester the Molester!"
(a) To the tree.
(b) In the lake.
(c) To the house.
(d) In the car.
7. As an adult, what does Johnny think will hold human's responsible for their actions?
(d) An individual's conscience.
8. Fill in the blank: In the first paragraph of the novel, Johnny says, "I am a ____ because of Owen Meany."
9. How are Johnny's cousins described?
(a) As rambunctious.
(b) As prissy.
(c) As shy.
(d) As boring.
10. Why is it impossible for any pitcher to strike Owen out playing baseball?
(a) Owen Meany's strike zone is miniscule.
(b) There are no players who can actually pitch the ball.
(c) Owen Meany can hit any pitch.
(d) Owen Meany crowds the plate.
11. What happened to Owen after the murder?
(a) He disappeared.
(b) He went to prison.
(c) Life went on as normal.
(d) He denied everything.
12. What role does Owen cast himself as in the Christmas pageant?
(a) A wiseman.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) The Christ Child.
13. After the funeral, who walks with Johnny to his mother's grave?
(a) Dan Needham.
(c) Aunt Martha.
14. What is heard in the background of Ms. Wheelwright's funeral?
(a) A baseball game.
(b) A train whistling in the distance.
(c) A massive car wreck.
(d) A choir singing.
15. How does Owen respond when Johnny calls his mother's death an accident?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is gracious.
(d) He is furious.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Meanys respond to the news of Owen's Christmas responsibilities?
2. What do the boys witness the Brinker-Smith's doing while they are hiding?
3. What unusual stuffed animal is Dan Needham's gift to Johnny?
4. Whose ancestor founded the town in which the novel takes place?
5. How many pastors were present at the wedding of Dan and Tabitha?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)