|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosalie do for Avey after she bathes her?
2. What does Lebert try to get Avey to remember?
3. Which of the following does Avey think that her family lost?
4. Why did Avey's grandson cry on Christmas?
5. What does Avey dream of while below deck on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lebert regard Avey as and how does he convince her to go to the island with him?
2. In what ways is Avey's meltdown at the hotel a clearing of the path for her spiritually?
3. Describe Avey's experience at the Beg Pardon.
4. How does Lebert Joseph become Avey's guide, in a sense, to her reclaiming her life?
5. What does Avey sense as she awakens in the hotel room after her night of being emotionally exhausted?
6. What does Avey reminisce about her father and family trips as she is waiting on the dock?
7. Describe Avey's behavior on the beach.
8. Describe the awakening Avey, who is subconsciously preparing to reclaim her life, experiences.
9. What is the significance of the preacher's sermon in Avey's dream for her life now?
10. Describe how Avey's massage becomes almost like a sacred ritual in renewing her in body and spirit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the girls and women in Avey's life. What role do they serve in her development? What lasting impact has Great Aunt Cuney served? How does Avey manage through the ups and downs with each of the girls and women in her life? What do they all have in common? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of flashbacks in the stories. Define flashbacks. Cite at least two situations in the novel that serve as flashbacks.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Avey. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)