|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Avey reply when asked for her name?
2. What does Avey feel that her family sacrificed?
3. What type of creature does Avey find dead in the surf?
4. Avey recalls that her grandson ___________ on Christmas Day.
5. Which of the following does Avey do when she has a meltdown on the hotel room balcony?
Short Essay Questions
1. In whose care had Avey been during the night of the boat trip to the island?
2. What is Lebert's interest in determining Avey's tribe?
3. In what ways is Avey's meltdown at the hotel a clearing of the path for her spiritually?
4. What is the topic the preacher engages in with the congregation causing such a stir that little Avey wants to be sick?
5. What does Avey feel her family exchanged for its affluence?
6. What did the preacher say was the purpose of the sermon about the risen Christ?
7. Describe how Avey has now integrated all the parts of her life into an authentic whole person.
8. What is the sermon that Avey recalls hearing as a little girl?
9. What is Avey doing in Chapter 4 at the same time she was supposed to be flying back to America?
10. What was occurring during all those years that Avey was living in denial about her true self?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Avey. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the novel Praisesong for the Widow? What other title could you suggest? State a reason to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Jay/Jerome. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)