|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medicine does Lebert think Avey desperately needs?
2. What is Avey dreaming of prior to waking?
3. With which daughter does Avey recall spending Christmas one year?
4. Which of the following does Avey dream when she is below deck?
5. How does Lebert prepare the circle for the dancers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what did Avey live in denial during the 1960s and 1970s regarding her heritage?
2. What does Avey feel her family exchanged for its affluence?
3. What is the sermon that Avey recalls hearing as a little girl?
4. What is Avey doing in Chapter 4 at the same time she was supposed to be flying back to America?
5. How does Avey compare this boat trip, and the old women sitting beside her, to her childhood days in church?
6. What was occurring during all those years that Avey was living in denial about her true self?
7. In whose care had Avey been during the night of the boat trip to the island?
8. What is Lebert's interest in determining Avey's tribe?
9. What happens to Avey when she finally lets her true nature come to the forefront as she stands on the hotel room balcony?
10. What is revealed about the women on the boat by the way they care for Avey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Praisesong for the Widow is set in the 1970s during the time of the aftermath of the Civil Rights movement in America. What impact does this factor have on the author? What impact does this factor have on any of the other characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion and spirituality in Avey's life. What had it meant to her as a child? How were the religion lessons with her father different from the spiritual lessons with Great Aunt Cuney? Why were each of them important to Avey's development? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Renewal takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)