|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is Tatem Island located?
2. What does the taxi driver help Avey to do in Chapter 6?
3. Who is the bossy friend who has accompanied Avey on the cruise?
4. How is Avey's hotel room furnished?
5. What drove Avey's behavior and accusations of infidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use a flashback to show the beginnings of Avey's discomfort on the cruise ship?
2. What happened when Avey finally let loose with her suspicions of Jay?
3. What is the significance of the peach parfait for Avey?
4. What were Avey's daughters' opinions of Avey going on the Caribbean cruise?
5. Why did Avey become obsessed with the idea that Jay was being unfaithful to her?
6. What legend did Great Aunt Cuney tell Avey about the African Ibos?
7. What does Avey recall about spending time with her Great Aunt Cuney?
8. What complications emerge in Avey's dream when she, as an adult, resists Great Aunt Cuney's insistence to follow her?
9. What is the premise of this novel?
10. What strikes Avey as odd as she watches the people at the harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the girls and women in Avey's life. What role do they serve in her development? What lasting impact has Great Aunt Cuney served? How does Avey manage through the ups and downs with each of the girls and women in her life? What do they all have in common? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Marshall is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Marshall's use of regionalism in the novel. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)