|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Avey's second daughter?
2. Which of the following is a normal element of Avey and Jay's marriage?
3. Which of the following are Avey's plans?
4. Which of the following disturbs Avey about the people she sees on the ship?
5. Why had Jay and Avey moved into the tiny bedroom in the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction does Avey have to her sleek, white hotel?
2. Whose transformation begins in Chapter 3 after Avey and Jay's big fight?
3. What are Avey's plans and how does she make her exit from the cruise?
4. What is the significance of the peach parfait for Avey?
5. Why does Avey feel guilty about reminiscing about the days spent at the Halsey Street apartment?
6. How does Avey recall the changes that turned Jay into Jerome?
7. Who is the main character of the story and what is she doing as the novel opens?
8. Who is Clarice and how does she react to Avey's wanting to leave the cruise?
9. What strikes Avey as odd as she watches the people at the harbor?
10. What is the premise of this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Jay/Jerome. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of flashbacks in the stories. Define flashbacks. Cite at least two situations in the novel that serve as flashbacks.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Marshall use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)