|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Avey reflect on in Chapter 5?
(a) Her grandchildren.
(b) The boy she had loved in school.
(c) The high price her family paid for affluence.
(d) Her husband's infidelity.
2. From which of the following could Avey's illness come?
(a) All of these.
(b) The rough waters.
(c) The heat.
(d) Her delicate constitution.
3. What is Avey doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Drinking coffee.
(b) Reading the paper.
(c) Waking up.
(d) Taking a shower.
4. Who is one of the Oldest Ones who approaches Avey after the dance?
(a) Bercita Edwards.
(b) Bernice Edwards.
(c) Bonnita Samuels.
(d) Bergitta Edwards.
5. On the beach, Avey thinks and moves like ______________.
(a) She is weighed down.
(b) She is frightened.
(c) A little girl.
(d) A gazelle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Avey reply when asked for her name?
2. What color is the dress Avey wears for the evening?
3. What does each person say to his ancestors during the Beg Pardon?
4. What is Avey dreaming of prior to waking?
5. What does Lebert try to get Avey to remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Avey compare this boat trip, and the old women sitting beside her, to her childhood days in church?
2. Describe how Avey has now integrated all the parts of her life into an authentic whole person.
3. How does the present day Avey mirror what the little girl Avey was experiencing in the dream?
4. In what ways is Avey's meltdown at the hotel a clearing of the path for her spiritually?
5. Describe how Avey's massage becomes almost like a sacred ritual in renewing her in body and spirit.
6. What does Lebert regard Avey as and how does he convince her to go to the island with him?
7. Of what did Avey live in denial during the 1960s and 1970s regarding her heritage?
8. Describe Avey's behavior on the beach.
9. What does Avey sense as she awakens in the hotel room after her night of being emotionally exhausted?
10. How does Avey know she has come back to herself?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)