|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of ceremony does Avey recall filming in Ghana?
(a) A rite of passage.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A ceremony to feed the gods.
(d) A christening.
2. What does Lebert tell Avey that the annual island excursion is all about?
(b) All of these.
3. Which of the following does Lebert tell Avey to convince her to go to the island with him?
(a) They will have a reliable boat.
(b) All of these.
(c) Her flight can be changed.
(d) The sea will be smooth as silk.
4. To whom does Avey offer up her Beg Pardon?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(d) Great Aunt Cuney.
5. What does Avey think when she sees some crabs at play?
(a) She is allergic to seafood.
(b) She does not see any crabs.
(c) She does not like seafood.
(d) She imagines them being animated.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Avey reflect on in Chapter 5?
2. With what is the house for the Beg Pardon christened?
3. Who do the old women on the boat remind Avey of?
4. Who are the first humans Avey sees today?
5. Avey recalls that Marion always looked at her parents as if _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rosalie Parvay and how does Avey meet her?
2. What does Avey reminisce about her father and family trips as she is waiting on the dock?
3. Describe the awakening Avey, who is subconsciously preparing to reclaim her life, experiences.
4. Describe Avey's experience at the Beg Pardon.
5. In what ways is Avey's meltdown at the hotel a clearing of the path for her spiritually?
6. What is Avey doing in Chapter 4 at the same time she was supposed to be flying back to America?
7. What is the sermon that Avey recalls hearing as a little girl?
8. What is the topic the preacher engages in with the congregation causing such a stir that little Avey wants to be sick?
9. How does Avey compare this boat trip, and the old women sitting beside her, to her childhood days in church?
10. What does Lebert regard Avey as and how does he convince her to go to the island with him?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)