|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings Avey back to reality on the beach?
(a) She is hit by a beachball.
(b) The need for shade and water.
(c) She hears someone call her name.
(d) The tide is coming in.
2. Who do the old women on the boat remind Avey of?
(a) The old women in the congregation when she was a girl.
(b) Sis and Marion.
(c) Her mother and aunts.
(d) Great Aunt Cuney and her sister.
3. What is Avey doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Drinking coffee.
(b) Reading the paper.
(c) Taking a shower.
(d) Waking up.
4. What does Avey recall envisioning binding the group members of her girlhood trips?
(a) A red ribbon.
(b) A rough rope.
(c) A silver thread.
(d) A silky scarf.
5. What does Avey think is the cause of her husband's death?
(a) High cholesterol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between whom is Avey seated on the boat?
2. What holiday does Avey recall spending with one of her daughters?
3. Which of the following did NOT integrate for Avey during the festivities?
4. Where does Avey collapse in exhaustion after thinking about her denial of her people for so many years?
5. What is Avey's deep-seated pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Avey reminisce about her father and family trips as she is waiting on the dock?
2. Of what did Avey live in denial during the 1960s and 1970s regarding her heritage?
3. Describe Avey's experience at the Beg Pardon.
4. Describe the awakening Avey, who is subconsciously preparing to reclaim her life, experiences.
5. What is Avey doing in Chapter 4 at the same time she was supposed to be flying back to America?
6. What is the significance of the preacher's sermon in Avey's dream for her life now?
7. What did the preacher say was the purpose of the sermon about the risen Christ?
8. What does Avey sense as she awakens in the hotel room after her night of being emotionally exhausted?
9. What is the sermon that Avey recalls hearing as a little girl?
10. How does the present day Avey mirror what the little girl Avey was experiencing in the dream?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)