|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Avey reflect on in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy she had loved in school.
(b) Her husband's infidelity.
(c) The high price her family paid for affluence.
(d) Her grandchildren.
2. What type of ceremony does Avey recall filming in Ghana?
(a) A rite of passage.
(b) A ceremony to feed the gods.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A christening.
3. Who is one of the Oldest Ones who approaches Avey after the dance?
(a) Bergitta Edwards.
(b) Bernice Edwards.
(c) Bercita Edwards.
(d) Bonnita Samuels.
4. How can Rosalie and Lebert tell which tribe Avey belongs to?
(a) By the shape of her nose.
(b) By the size of her feet.
(c) By the way she dances.
(d) By her accent.
5. In what type of building does Avey take shelter?
(a) An old rum shop.
(b) A sandwich shop.
(c) A shave ice shop.
(d) An ice cream parlor.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the beach, Avey thinks and moves like ______________.
2. What startles Avey awake?
3. From which of the following could Avey's illness come?
4. What does Avey feel that her family sacrificed?
5. What does Avey do after her body has finished its purge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what did Avey live in denial during the 1960s and 1970s regarding her heritage?
2. What is revealed about the women on the boat by the way they care for Avey?
3. How does Avey compare this boat trip, and the old women sitting beside her, to her childhood days in church?
4. What is Lebert's interest in determining Avey's tribe?
5. How does Avey meet Lebert Joseph?
6. What does Avey sense as she awakens in the hotel room after her night of being emotionally exhausted?
7. In whose care had Avey been during the night of the boat trip to the island?
8. What is Avey doing in Chapter 4 at the same time she was supposed to be flying back to America?
9. What is the sermon that Avey recalls hearing as a little girl?
10. What does Lebert regard Avey as and how does he convince her to go to the island with him?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)